Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Exclamation Response Time battle : 4ms Sharp Aquos vs. 8ms Sony Bravia

Hello all, I have recently renovated my home, and I am planning on placing a flat panel LCD over my fire place. I have done the research and came to finalize between two models of LCD t.vs:

Sony Bravia KDL52W4100 52'' 1080p with 30,000:1 dynamic
    (3000:1 True), 120Hz, 24p TrueFrame & 8ms Response time

Sharp Aquos LC52D82U 52'' 1080p with 10,000:1 dynamic
    (2000:1 True), 120Hz & 4ms Response time

both are retailing roughly for the same price at Futureshop, so price is not a problem for me, I dont want to go for anything larger or smaller than 52''. Now, my big debate comes in when im trying to decide whats more important...higher contrast ratio, or faster response time? Im planing on using it for HD and BD movies, hockey games and playing 360. I like the Sony Bravia a little more, but is the 8ms response time going to cause motion trailing and 'lag' in fast motions?

So the only thing holding me back is that i dont know if i'm going to regret geting the Sony because of the 8ms response time. The Sharp is double the speed and i know that wont cause any 'lag' or motio blur in sports, but then again , it has a much lower contrast ratio than that of Sony.
    THank You all!
    is 8ms suffecient enough for watching fast moving sports, movies and games, or should i be safe and go with the Sharp 4ms.
    8ms should be fine. 60fps content requires a 1000/60 (16.7)ms response time. 120Hz content requires 8.35ms. Once you are below 8 there is no content from video sources that would be beyond the refresh capabilities of the panel.
    Epson Pro 1080UB projector
    106" Elite Expo white wall-mount screen
    Integra 9.8 Surround Processor
    Theta Dreadnaught Amp (5 channel)
    AudioSource One stereo amp (rear surrounds)
    Panasonic BD30
    Toshiba XA2
    My own LRC speakers and sub + 4 PSB 50 surrounds
    AppleTV and Mac Mini with 1.5TB RAID for music/visualizer/photos
    I think the Sony's reponse time is going to be fine. Does the Sharp also support 24fps? Also, I would not pay too close attention the contrast ratios, it seems CE's all measure this number differently. I would check out the reviews on the net for both of these sets.
    no, the sharp does not have 24p...thats the other thing..for tv's which are both so close to price, the Sony seams to offer much more
    I would go with the sony based on it's 24FPS capability peresonally... For me what I've seen of the 24FPS capability is much like what I've expreinced from lossless audio..

Is 24FPS offer leaps and bounds better quality picture than a good 60Hz set? At least I don't think so, heck I just watched a little bit of PTOC Curse of the Black Perl and upscaled Knocked up on a 60Hz Toshiba LCD and frankly I think it looks stunning...

That said will you notice the difference once you see it? Oh yeah, you almost certainly will. Is the experience of 24FPS better? Yep, it certainly is (as long as you don't turn on motion enhancer as well at any rate). It just just some how feel a bit more life like some how, for me I really can't put my finger on it but it just is better.

I'd say since you can get a 24FPS capable TV for the same price of a 60Hz only TV at exactly the same screen size it should be a no brainer, go for 24FPS.
    Toshiba 55" 55HT1U LCD (1080p@24fps) w/Tivo HD, Harmony 880
    HDM Players: Toshiba HD-A30, Samsung BD-P2500 (wow! reon!)
    Onkyo TX-605SR, F Polk Monitor 50s bi-amped, C CS1, Yamaha sur & sub
    X-Box 360, Wii, DreamCast, DS
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

*view pictures of my home theater and movies (out dated)
    The eye can see anything over 2ms so until LCDs are down that low I'll stick with my plasma. BTW my father is an optometrist incase you wanted to know where I got the 2ms stat.
    Proud Member of the DC Fanboy Club
    Have you considered maybe the Samsung 52A650? I think their dynamic contrast ratios are 50,000:1 and their response times are in the 6ms range. It supports 24p and 120hz along with Auto Motion Plus. The 650 may be the best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
    The eye can see anything over 2ms so until LCDs are down that low I'll stick with my plasma. BTW my father is an optometrist incase you wanted to know where I got the 2ms stat.
    The eye may be able to "see" 2ms, but it doesn't matter if the source material driving the panel is not changing faster than 8ms.

By your logic, you won't watch hi-def until it uses 480Hz refresh.

Seriously, the panel only needs to be slighly faster than the fastest source material you will throw at it. After that, any improvement has NO effect.
    Panasonic BD30
    Toshiba XA2
    Quote Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
    The eye may be able to "see" 2ms, but it doesn't matter if the source material driving the panel is not changing faster than 8ms.

By your logic, you won't watch hi-def until it uses 480Hz refresh.

Seriously, the panel only needs to be slighly faster than the fastest source material you will throw at it. After that, any improvement has NO effect.
    Damn you experts Actually I was watching one of the newer Sammy LCDs in BB the other day & I really liked it. The glare on my plasma is becoming quite a problem in the new place. I'm seriously considering going with the 4069 since it has 120hz & a matte screen. I don't know though, it'd be hard to sell my plasma I'd think due to shipping.
    Proud Member of the DC Fanboy Club
    lol

Nothing wrong with faster refresh, just nothing to be gained, after a point..

Panasonic BD30
    Toshiba XA2
    Yea I've checked out the samsung 5, 6 and 7series of the 52" LCD TVs, and they are all amazing...I mean they come extremely close to Sony..I actually don't mind getting any brand of tv as long as its 52" and 1080P!! But my main concern is ghosting but I'm sure none of them will have it now anyways

What do to guys think about toshiba LCDs??? They look pretty nice too, and they have 120Hz. I heard that Toshiba makes Sharp panels a d Sony makes for Samsung LMAO!!!!! This true???
    I am looking to get another Sony flat panel and was looking at the 52W4100 but I noticed that its only an 8 bit panel on the W's for this year. I am also looking at the Costco/Sams 52w135. It is a 10 bit but its contrast is lower than this years panels.

Which is more important to you guys contrast of 8 bit vs 10 bit ?

I also own a 40xbr4 and could get the 52 xbr4 but I dont really like the floating glass look as much as the 4100's or even last years look of the W line that the Costco model has.
    Last edited by Maxx_75; 07-06-2008 at 07:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamjam101 View Post
    Yea I've checked out the samsung 5, 6 and 7series of the 52" LCD TVs, and they are all amazing...I mean they come extremely close to Sony..I actually don't mind getting any brand of tv as long as its 52" and 1080P!! But my main concern is ghosting but I'm sure none of them will have it now anyways

What do to guys think about toshiba LCDs??? They look pretty nice too, and they have 120Hz. I heard that Toshiba makes Sharp panels a d Sony makes for Samsung LMAO!!!!! This true???
    I very much like Toshiba's LCD TV's, I just got done watching some movies on a toshiba 42" 60Hz pannel as noted earlier and I thought the PQ was friggen awesome. Toshiba does in fact also make 120Hz TV's, if you check the official 1080P@24FPS stickie a toshia was added not too terribly long ago, was very well reviewed as well. I'd really offer a strong buy recommendation for Toshiba, you won't be dissapointed with their TV's. As for whether or not they manufacture for sharp, this I can not answer.
    Toshiba 55" 55HT1U LCD (1080p@24fps) w/Tivo HD, Harmony 880
    HDM Players: Toshiba HD-A30, Samsung BD-P2500 (wow! reon!)
    Onkyo TX-605SR, F Polk Monitor 50s bi-amped, C CS1, Yamaha sur & sub
    X-Box 360, Wii, DreamCast, DS
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

*view pictures of my home theater and movies (out dated)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamjam101 View Post

Actually, I recall that Samsung produces panels for SONY, but it's a joint venture.
    Panasonic BD30
    Toshiba XA2