Default Why run your video through the Receiver?

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable in HT setup, but I never could see the advantages of running your video (cable/DVD) through your receiver. What are the advantages of running the signal through it then back out to the TV. I currently run both my DVD and Cable straight to the TV, then my sound through the rec. What purpose does running video in then out through the rec serve? Just curious.
    hdmi so you can get the audio to the receiver, the only reason I could see doing component is if you have too many devices and not enough connections on your television (had that problem with my old tv).
    My receiver doesn't have HDMI. Missed the movement by 2 months or so (Onkyo 601)
    I think ultimately the goal would be to have all video and audio sources (e.g. game consoles, dvd players, cable boxes, computers) to enter the receiver via HDMI and then have just one connection to the television and speakers. That way, there is no input selection except on the receiver.
    Panasonic PT-AE1000U 1080p LCD Projector
    104" Carada Brilliant White Fixed Frame Screen
    Xbox 360 HD DVD Add-On

HD DVD (34) - List
    well, to get uncompressed PCM audio, since most BD and HD DVD players only have 1 hdmi port, which is the point of Hdmi, a single digital a/v cable
    Less wires. At least thats the advantage I see for myself, I would imagine others too. It's much more simpler. The way I see it is, say you have 3 devices and each device has 1 optical audio cable, and a video cable (not to mention power cables, but ignore those for the moment ), thats 6 cables all crisscrossing and going to different places. With HDMI, there would be 3 cables going to your receiver, and 1 more going from your reciever to the TV, eliminating 2 cables. For someone like me who HATES cable spaghetti, that is AWSOME.

The other cool thing is that you NEVER have to change your TV input. Your receiver doubles as your system selector, thus eliminating a remote! Those are the advantages that I see... I'm sure there are others.

EDIT: Oops sorry Chad. I just gave the long-winded version of what you said. LOL
    Last edited by BanthaPoodoo; 04-05-2007 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Oops
    "Whos the more foolish: The fool, or the fool who follows him?" - General Kenobi
    Samsung 50" DLP HL-S5086W
    Xbox 360 w/ Add-On HD DVD Drive (VGA)
    PS3 60G (HDMI)
    Sony 500w STR-K502 5.1 Receiver

Watch movies, not formats. Play games, not consoles.
    Quote Originally Posted by BanthaPoodoo View Post
    Less wires. At least thats the advantage I see for myself, I would imagine others too. It's much more simpler. The way I see it is, say you have 3 devices and each device has 1 optical audio cable, and a video cable (not to mention power cables, but ignore those for the moment ), thats 6 cables all crisscrossing and going to different places. With HDMI, there would be 3 cables going to your receiver, and 1 more going from your reciever to the TV, eliminating 2 cables. For someone like me who HATES cable spaghetti, that is AWSOME.

The other cool thing is that you NEVER have to change your TV input. Your receiver doubles as your system selector, thus eliminating a remote! Those are the advantages that I see... I'm sure there are others.

EDIT: Oops sorry Chad. I just gave the long-winded version of what you said. LOL
    Cable spaghetti? You may say, Cable meatball.
    Why...... So......Serious?
    There are a few reasons why this is typically done, not every one of them matters to all people.

1. Simplified connection: If you have a receiver that upconverts than non-HDMI, or non-component video sources can be transcoded, or sometimes actually processed, to component/HDMI for a single connection to the display. Switch the source once, at the receiver, and leave the TV on one input only!

2. More connectivity: Despite current TVs having 2, 3, or more of many types of inputs, it still may not be enough. In my case I have 6 component video sources. Not only is that more than my TV has, it is well more than my A/V receiver has so I went with an external switcher. For most, a decent receiver covers their needs.

3. OSD - The on-screen-display from a receiver is a nice convenience for many people. It typically allows for setup options, volume feedback, and current input as well as other information that people can find useful to read on their big TV instead of trying to read the receiver.

4. Simplified setup - Similar to the first couple of items, but when people hide gear in a closet 15 or 20 feet from their display, it can be extremely cumbersome to try to run 2 or 3 component feeds as well as a few composite, s-video, and HDMI feeds to the TV. Not just complicated, fairly expensive for the longer cable runs. Instead several short runs can go to the receiver, than just one run of each type of video can go to the display.

There are likely other reasons I can't come up with right now, but those are some of the reasons.
    In my case, to minimize TV input changes. Unfortunately, my TV doesn't have discrete codes for the various inputs, so I can't program macros into my remote.
    I guess if you have a receiver you might as well use it for video and audio...plus in my opinion its easier to switch between players or whatever. Like if u have your dvd player, vcr, and HD dvd player, and game console, with the receiver you can switch between those by using the receiver...
    Xbox360 Games: 45

Last 360 games purchased: Blur, Darksiders
    Currently Playing: Bad Company 2

Gamertag: Onavarro8
    ID: onavarro8