Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Default Pioneer Elite Amp and JBL Subwoofer

Any help with this will be great..........

I am having extreme difficulty getting the proper "pow" from my JBL sub. I'm not sure how it should be hooked up properly to get the best effect. I have been told to use the sub out on my amp to the LFE input on my sub, but I'm not sure what I should have my crossover dial and volume set to as I have also been told when you hook it this way the amp controls everything and the controls on the sub are "disabled" but doing so when I watch something with a good LFE track (opening fight in Star Wars Episode 3) I get this extremly loud feedback sound (like the woofer on the sub is about to blow). Then I'm told to avoid that hook up and use a Y-adaptor from the sub cable to the L and R in of the sub, but doing that I get hardly any effect.

Also, the auto set up on my amp with the mic makes no difference at all. I have searched many sites on google but yet to no avail of a simple way.
    Home Theatre:
    Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXS
    PS3 60 GB - upgraded to 320 GB
    Toshiba HD DVD XA2 (4.0)
    Sony KDL-55HX701
    This guide may help:
    http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ge...s-made-simple/

I would hook up a subwoofer cable from your sub out on your amp to your sub in on your subwoofer. On the subwoofer, turn the crossover all the way up to the highest number and set the phase to zero for now. Set the volume on your sub to the 1 o'clock position.

On your receiver, check the crossover settings for your speakers, make sure you set your speakers to small and make sure your subwoofer is set to "yes". Set the crossover on your sub (in your receiver settings) to 80hz and try that out. As the article above mentions 80hz is a starting point. Same with volume. You may have to adjust this. Most receivers also have additional settings such as "double bass". You will most likely need to play with the volume setting on both the sub and the various settings within your amp/receiver.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the info! I will give it a try and see what happens! I will keep you posted
    Home Theatre:
    Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXS
    Toshiba HD DVD XA2 (4.0)
    Sony KDL-55HX701
    Quote Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
    This guide may help:
    http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ge...s-made-simple/

I would hook up a subwoofer cable from your sub out on your amp to your sub in on your subwoofer. On the subwoofer, turn the crossover all the way up to the highest number and set the phase to zero for now. Set the volume on your sub to the 1 o'clock position.

On your receiver, check the crossover settings for your speakers, make sure you set your speakers to small and make sure your subwoofer is set to "yes". Set the crossover on your sub (in your receiver settings) to 80hz and try that out. As the article above mentions 80hz is a starting point. Same with volume. You may have to adjust this. Most receivers also have additional settings such as "double bass". You will most likely need to play with the volume setting on both the sub and the various settings within your amp/receiver.

Hope this helps.
    One quick question......do you have a suggestion for dB setting on the amp for the sub level or just run the auto set up again and when done...change speaker settings to small?
    Home Theatre:
    Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXS
    Toshiba HD DVD XA2 (4.0)
    Sony KDL-55HX701
    May I ask what moidel JBL Sub you have?
    My Setup - Photos *UPDATED*
    TV: Samsung 61" 1080p DLP | DirecTV HR22 HD-DVR |
    x51: Toshiba HD-A35 | x102: Panasonic DMP-BD80
    Power Conditioner: APC H15
    Receiver: Denon 2808CI
    Fronts: Klipsch Reference Series RF-35 (L/R)
    Center: Klipsch Reference Series RC-35
    Surrounds: Klipsch KHW-5 In-Wall Speakers (Rears) | Klipsch In-Cieling (Surround Back)
    Sub: Elemental Designs A3-300
    Quote Originally Posted by Crypter View Post
    May I ask what moidel JBL Sub you have?

JP8 and of course it's not even listed on the web site for JBL
    Home Theatre:
    Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXS
    Toshiba HD DVD XA2 (4.0)
    Sony KDL-55HX701
    Quote Originally Posted by livingproof73 View Post
    One quick question......do you have a suggestion for dB setting on the amp for the sub level or just run the auto set up again and when done...change speaker settings to small?
    I would set everything up manually as I described above and just verify that you are getting decent output from your sub. After that, I would rerun the Audyssey (auto setup) again and then tweak as desired. On my receiver I turned doublebass on and increased the decibel level by a few. Adjusting the volume on your subwoofer itself may be necessary.

Good luck.
    I would set everything up manually as I described above and just verify that you are getting decent output from your sub. After that, I would rerun the Audyssey (auto setup) again and then tweak as desired. On my receiver I turned doublebass on and increased the decibel level by a few. Adjusting the volume on your subwoofer itself may be necessary.

Good luck.
    When I set the sub to 1 o'clock on the dial.....my amp told me it was too loud during the auto set up
    Home Theatre:
    Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXS
    Toshiba HD DVD XA2 (4.0)
    Sony KDL-55HX701
    Quote Originally Posted by livingproof73 View Post
    When I set the sub to 1 o'clock on the dial.....my amp told me it was too loud during the auto set up
    What kind of cable are you using to connect your sub to your amp? Also what decibel level is your sub set at on your amp?
    What kind of cable are you using to connect your sub to your amp? Also what decibel level is your sub set at on your amp?

I am using a THX certified Monster sub woofer cable. The decibel level right now is set to -1.5 (and that's after the easy set up feature)
    Home Theatre:
    Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXS
    Toshiba HD DVD XA2 (4.0)
    Sony KDL-55HX701
    Still having issues.....grrrrr
    Home Theatre:
    Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXS
    Toshiba HD DVD XA2 (4.0)
    Sony KDL-55HX701
    It could be where your sub is placed and also where you are sitting. Those two factors can have a big impact on how much bass you hear.
    Homer Simpson: "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try."
    Quote Originally Posted by didactandnarpet View Post
    It could be where your sub is placed and also where you are sitting. Those two factors can have a big impact on how much bass you hear.

I have tried various places through out my living room and it makes no difference.
    Home Theatre:
    Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXS
    Toshiba HD DVD XA2 (4.0)
    Sony KDL-55HX701
    I would recommend setting the volume at 11 o' clock. The volume control on the sub itself is to integrate it with your other speakers. Then the Amp will control all volume so they're all paired up.

On the Pioneer I have I had to turn of Bass Peak Level as it limited the output on the Sub out.

For the POW sound, it might have been a surge. Might have been the in which you turned your system on.
    Quote Originally Posted by earthquake View Post
    I would recommend setting the volume at 11 o' clock. The volume control on the sub itself is to integrate it with your other speakers. Then the Amp will control all volume so they're all paired up.

On the Pioneer I have I had to turn of Bass Peak Level as it limited the output on the Sub out.

For the POW sound, it might have been a surge. Might have been the in which you turned your system on.
    Well the "pow" type surge only happens during high bass sounds during movies.....I will try your suggestions and see what happens.
    Home Theatre:
    Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXS
    Toshiba HD DVD XA2 (4.0)
    Sony KDL-55HX701