Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Default What is HDMI Pass-through?

I'm looking at picking up the Sony Home Theater-in-a-box HT-DDW990. It's in my price range and has inputs for all of my devices.

My concern is HDMI Pass-through.

What is it and why do I (or don't I) want it? I've done some searching online but the answers people have posted in other boards (and this one) have confused me.

Can I simply plug an HDMI cable from a PS3 into this receiver and allow the receiver to send my 5.1 audio to the speakers that come in the box? Or do I also need to plug in an optical audio cable, in turn eliminating the beauty of 1 cable for both audio and video?

Follow up, if and only if the answer is "You need two cables with that."

Can anyone recommend a way to get 5.1 in my house for $300 or less (including the receiver and the speakers) without the need for two cables on my HDMI enabled devices?

NOTES:
    I know it can only do 1080i, but that's all my TV can take anyway. When I can afford to get a new TV, I'll upgrade my Receiver as well.
    Also, I know that something in this price range isn't going to give me the high end High Def audio formats most people shit their pants over... but I'm really just looking to experience 5.1 right now. Like the video, that's something I'll worry about when I can afford a $700 receiver and a set of $1000 speakers.
    Started as an HD DVD supporter,
    Now I strongly support Blu-ray.
    Technically that means I'm Purple, but since HD DVD is dead, it doesn't really matter anymore.

I own lots of : & :

Hardware:
    Sony 34" WEGA CRT HDTV (KV-34HS420)
    Sony HT-DDW995
    XBOX 360 Pro w/HD DVD addon
    Sony Playstation 3
    Logitech Harmony for Xbox 360
    Logitech PS3 Harmony Adapter

R.I.P. HD DVD
    2/19/08
    hdmi pass through means that audio can't be read off the hdmi so you have to run a TOSLINK or coax audio digital signal to the receiver, which means you can't get high-resolution audio.

Because of this, you'll get compromised audio.

If you spend a little more to get an HDMI receiver, and use bitstream audio, you can get full hi-def without breaking the bank, and get 1080p for your display when you upgrade without adding the cost of a new receiver.

If you want HTIB with real HDMI, the Onkyo HT-SP904 supports HDMI 1.3a, so you'll have full audio/video forward compatibility.
    Last edited by mrspeakers; 01-19-2008 at 08:20 AM.
    Epson Pro 1080UB projector
    106" Elite Expo white wall-mount screen
    Integra 9.8 Surround Processor
    Theta Dreadnaught Amp (5 channel)
    AudioSource One stereo amp (rear surrounds)
    Panasonic BD30
    Toshiba XA2
    My own LRC speakers and sub + 4 PSB 50 surrounds
    AppleTV and Mac Mini with 1.5TB RAID for music/visualizer/photos
    Quote Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
    hdmi pass through means that audio can't be read off the hdmi so you have to run a TOSLINK or coax audio digital signal to the receiver, which means you can't get high-resolution audio.

If you spend a little more to get an HDMI receiver, and use bitstream audio, you can get full hi-def without breaking the bank, and get 1080p for your display when you upgrade without adding the cost of a new receiver.

If you want HTIB with real HDMI, the Onkyo HT-SP904 supports HDMI 1.3a, so you'll have full audio/video forward compatibility.
    Onkyo seems to be talked about a lot on this board. I'm guessing it's really good then huh?

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I looked up that system though, and it's about $700... which is way out of my price range (that's more than I paid for my TV!) It looks like the type of system I can shoot for later though.

So far for the price I can get the Sony system for (I found it for about $230) it seems like my best bet. I won't get the high res audio, I'll have to use multiple cables still, and I'll have to swap it out if/when I get a new TV... but I'll save about $450 bucks for now.

It's sad, but that's what a budget does to you. :-(
    Technically that means I'm Purple, but since HD DVD is dead, it doesn't really matter anymore.

Hardware:
    Sony HT-DDW995
    Sony Playstation 3

R.I.P. HD DVD
    2/19/08
    Onkyo really packs a lot of features in for the $. My favorite brand for low cost functionality.

A step up in quality tends to be Rotel or NAD, but they lag in the features. They do a great job with their analog, though.

But I have to say, I have a top end separate Onkyo-made processor, and the audio results are truly high-end, so my old generalizations are breaking up a bit...
    Panasonic BD30
    Toshiba XA2
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciferEternal View Post
    So far for the price I can get the Sony system for (I found it for about $230) it seems like my best bet. I won't get the high res audio, I'll have to use multiple cables still, and I'll have to swap it out if/when I get a new TV... but I'll save about $450 bucks for now.

It's sad, but that's what a budget does to you. :-(
    Why don't you consider the Sony STR DG810 receiver? It's around $275 on Amazon, probably can be found for less. Add in a relatively cheap HTIB speaker set for now. A little more than your budget, but you'll have a full featured HDMI receiver for audio & video, and can upgrade the speakers as you go along. With that Sony HTIB set, you'll have to replace everything if you ever want to upgrade. But, avoid the less expensive STR DG710 model receiver - while it has HDMI audio, it's limited to only 2 channel stereo for PCM.

As to the original question - does anyone else feel like me that HDMI is an abomination? Talk about consumer confusion - they push HDMI as an all-in-one solution for audio & video, and then push the low end "pass through" receivers that do absolutely nothing for HDMI except act as a switch at best, allowing for 2 or more HDMI players to be connected and then pass the video through to a display but then requiring good old optical or analog for audio.
    Yup, HDMI is a consumer nightmare. I've done several rants on the subject. 'nuff said
    Panasonic BD30
    Toshiba XA2
    Quote Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
    Why don't you consider the Sony STR DG810 receiver? It's around $275 on Amazon, probably can be found for less. Add in a relatively cheap HTIB speaker set for now. A little more than your budget, but you'll have a full featured HDMI receiver for audio & video, and can upgrade the speakers as you go along. With that Sony HTIB set, you'll have to replace everything if you ever want to upgrade. But, avoid the less expensive STR DG710 model receiver - while it has HDMI audio, it's limited to only 2 channel stereo for PCM.
    Thank you very much for the recommendation on the 810. I've taken a look at it on Sony's site and it's very much what I would like to have... and within my budget (well, if I didn't need speakers too that is).

I'm going to consider that one before I buy the other one. I guess I could literally get a $100 HTiB with crappy speakers for now and save up for better ones.

Hardware:
    Sony HT-DDW995
    Sony Playstation 3

R.I.P. HD DVD
    2/19/08
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciferEternal View Post
    My concern is HDMI Pass-through ... What is it ... [?]
    pass through means either the video stream or audio stream is not processed by the receiver; the signal is simply left untouched.
    i'm also trying to figure this out (and thought I was fairly smart until I began trying to set up and understand a hi-def, home theater system). We have a 46" Mitsubishi lcd. We also have a scientific atlanta dvr box courtesy of our cable company, a roku netflix box and a blue ray player. All have hdmi connections.

Our current home theater receiver does not, however. It is a Panasonic Sa-HT05. It does have the usual batch of component connections and two optical digital for video but no hdmi.

So to boost the quality of the sound, I was thinking of getting an Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver, but that appears to only offer hdmi audio passthrough. Is that correct?

If so, and I did get one, would I then need to connect the hdmi and optical digital output of each of the hdmi units to the Onkyo receiver to get optimum sound?

Since we would prefer not to use the tv speakers but instead use the speakers of an av receiver, does it even make sense to connect the tv's hdmi outputs?

Finally, one thought I had was to purchase and HDVIO switch, which has four hdmi and four toslink inputs and then use that to connect our various units to the current Panasonic system. Would that improve that sound? Would the improved sound still be inferior to the Onkyo (using the same Panasonic speakers but upgrading those at some point).

Sorry for dumping so many questions on people, and I recognize I'm new here. I've read through other posts but still haven't figured out the answers, so I thought I'd post my questions in the hope of getting some help I can understand.

many thanks for any info,

jeff
    Last edited by jeffisme; 01-19-2009 at 02:38 PM.
    Hi - I am also concerned about HDMI etc

i have currently a sony surround sound amp, but now need a new amp, so considered one of course with HDMI as I have a blu-ray, internet tv with hdmi etc etc

I was concerned about this pass through and what exactly is now needed

First questions is, is there a noticeable difference between sound from a coax and hdmi? Is it worth investing so much more?

And regarding the pic quality - that is transferred even with this pass through - so far I havent got a HDMI connection on my tv, but that will come soon, but will I then lose a lot of I connect to the amp with hdmi, but then use say S-Video to connect to the TV set - will that work at all??

Cheers
    avoid one with pass-through as you will not be able to get hd audio through TOSLINK.
    there is not enough bandwidth for lossless audio through the TOS so you end up with the dts core only.
    what you want preferably is an hdmi receiver with hdmi 1.3a spec.
    check the spec sheet for this and you'll be good to go.
    all newer hdmi receivers should be at least hdmi 1.3a
    with this spec the receiver can accept bitstreamed audio from those bd players that can bitstream the hd audio from blu-rays.
    it will accept all multi-channel pcm over hdmi which the "pass-through" receivers cannot do.
    you can get a "regular" hdmi receiver now
    (no pass through variety)
    for very little so it shouldn't be an issue.
    prices have dropped considerably.
    If none of you guys are thinking getting soon a 3D display or player , there's the Pioneer VSX 919AH-K that is a repeater for about 350 CAN I'm guessing in the US its cheaper also consider the VSX 1019AH-K that is a litter bit more expensive but there's always good deals around . This 2 models are 7.1 .

Onkyo also have great receivers but i little more expensive compared to Pioneer or Yamaha in this range price/quality .
    Sharp Aquos 52 , Center Polk CS2II , Tower Polk Montors 60 ,Surround 2 Quest + 2 KEF ,Subs + 2 Klipsch RW 10D and Klipsch RPW 10 , HD DVD A35 , XBOX 360 , PS3 , Sony BDP-S360 ,Bell IPTV , Pioneer VSX-1125-K , 100" Motorized Elite screen VMAX , PJ:Epson 8350
    This Onkyo system is $318 with free shipping and no taxes. Handles lossless audio (only negative being a passive subwoofer)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...DQR6/ref=nosim
    To buy or not to buy? That is the question....
    If you do not intend to get into 3D on blu-ray any time soon, then the options above make alot of sense to fatten your budget a little more for. Pass-through HDMI only serves to make the receiver compatible with a player, but does not reap any other benefit to you as it does not add capability to receive audio via HDMI.

If you want to take advantage of the great hi-def audio tracks, get a receiver that will accept audio via HDMI, even if it means waiting a little bit to get your budget in line with getting what you want. I can't imagine spending the $ for a new receiver and not the little bit extra to get "real," HDMI.

good luck
    Last edited by Cochise; 04-27-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: removed quote of deleted post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

I happen to find this post and I have a question. I have a Sony surround system which I bought at Circuit City a few yeas ago for $500. Untill I just read your post I thought that HDMI Pass Through just meant that you can imput several HDMI cables to the reciever and output one HDMI cable to the TV. My TV only had one HDMI port. So my question is, even if I run my PS3 HDMI through the reciever and use an optical cable for the PS3 sound, will this produce HD Audio or does my reciever note have HD audio at all?
    Also, when it do this I get sound through all the spaekers. Exactly what would HD audio add to the overall sound experience. As you can propable tell, I don't know much about this stuff.

John