Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253
    HDTV1080P is offline Banned

CAT8 cable is now available

A roll of 1,000 feet of CAT6A cable which is rated for 10GB per second speed normal costs around $225-$300+ depending on the frequency needed. CAT7A cable that is rated at 10GB per second speed and which can do 40GB per second under short distances normal costs around $760 for 1,000 feet.

Now CAT8 cable is officially available (maybe CAT8A will become available soon also). Starlight CAT8 Ethernet cable that is rated for 40GB per second speed costs $210 for 1 meter length and $750 for 10 meter length. http://store.wireworldcable.com/collections/ethernet-cat8/products/starlight-cat8-ethernet-cable?variant=29742245836

Bulk shielded 1,000 feet CAT8 cable that is rated for only 10GB per second speed can be purchased for $780. http://certicable.com/cat-8-cables/1000-ft-cat8-cat-8-shielded-copper-cable-10gb-10-gigabit-ethernet-also-for-video.html

However, the official CAT8 standards have not been completed yet and final ratification is expected in early 2017. So some companies selling cable labeled as CAT8 with only 10GB speeds listed in the specs are most likely selling a cable design that is only slightly better than CAT7A. True CAT8 cable should do 40GB per second speeds.

LG OLED65E6P OLED Ultra HDTV Review

(Sound and Vision magazine review)

The Sound and Vision magazine review does not mention what refresh rate or frame rate that the LG OLED flat panel displays are using. In addition, the official LG spec sheet and manual fail to mention this information also. DLP projectors and plasma displays still have better motion quality when compared to OLED displays, and they also offer Cinema quality frame rates without frame interpolation and 3:2 pulldown issues. However, the black levels on 4K Ultra HD and 1080P OLED displays are absolute black, and outperform the best plasmas including the reference 2008 Pioneer PRO-141FD.

The LG OLED65E65P supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision when it comes to streaming 4K Ultra HD programs using the built in apps on the Smart TV, however the HDMI inputs currently only support HDR10. On the LG OLED65E6P flat panel screen all 4 HDMI inputs use HDCP 2.2. However, according to the Sound and Vision magazine review these HDMI inputs are HDMI 2.0a, and if the review information is correct, then LG would need to issue a firmware update to the OLED65E65P to turn the HDMI inputs to version 2.0b so that Dolby Vision can be supported from an external device like a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player or external streaming device.

The following are select quotes from Tom J Norton’s review of the LG OLD65E6P

The best LED-backlit local-dimming LCDs can now equal or exceed the performance of plasmas in what were their main calling cards: black level and shadow detail. But now, even LCDs have competition. OLED TVs arrived just about the same time that plasmas faded from the scene. So far, they’re offered only by LG, whose current models are much reduced in price from earlier designs—though they’re still not bargain-basement specials.”

“All of its HDMI inputs are HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2…”

“Off-center viewing is comparable to what we experienced with plasmas: You can sit as far to the side as you like without seeing obvious image degradation. In that respect, this OLED set is far better than any LCD, even the best of them.”

The ideal future for projectors

One of the biggest negatives of projectors is the requirement to have a dark home theater room. Another negative is its more difficult to install a ceiling mounted projector since wires need to be ran in the ceiling and inside the wall back to the customers equipment. Some more expensive laser driven projectors have the advantage of no bulb changes and projectors are getting brighter so that they can offer HDR and do not need the room to be completely dark.

However the biggest advancement in projector technology is the laser driven models that are Ultra Short throw. No longer does one need to remodel a room for a ceiling mounted projector. Consumers can just remove the flat panel screen from their existing TV stand, and place a Ultra Short throw projector in its place. Then one can install a retractable remote control screen that is 140 inches or larger. This Ultra Short Throw technology has the potential of making projectors popular again with consumers. In addition if this technology becomes available for under $10,000 in the years to come, projectors will start eating into OLED flat panel screen sales. Just imagine if someone were to make a DLP Short Throw projector that is under $10,000 and offers 100-140 inch projected screen size. DLP is the king of motion and 3-D picture quality (far better then OLED displays in those two areas).

My existing home theater room when remodeling was wired for a ceiling mounted projector, but my bedroom is not wired for a projector. With a Ultra Short throw projector I could add a projector to my bedroom without needing to remodel my bedroom. Now that would be awesome.

http://www.twice.com/news/projectors...ir-close/64073

The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6040UB is only a native 1080P projector with so called 4K Enhancement technology

(However this projector is excellent when it comes to 3-D quality)

The Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema will accept a native 4096 x 2160P signal and native 3840 x 2160P signal with HDCP 2.2 and then downscale the image to 1920 x 1080P since this projectors native resolution is 1080P with pixel shift technology.

One still needs to spend a minimum of $10,000+ for true 4K Ultra HD quality projectors, however that will most likely change in the year 2017 as new lower cost 4K projectors are released on the market. The big advantage of the Epson Pro Cinema 6040UB is that it delivers 3-D quality that is similar in performance to a $25,000+ 3 chip DLP projector for only $3,999. 3 chip DLP projectors are still the reference quality for 3-D, however with new 480Hz technology LCD projectors are a nice bargain for those looking to spend under $4,000 for very good 1080P 3-D quality.

It is unknown if the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6040UB bypasses the 3:2 pulldown process when using 2-D at 240Hz and 3-D at 480Hz refresh rates (that is an important issue for videophiles that want Cinema quality frame rates without black frame insertion, etc).

*** In a single projector setup DLP projectors only need 144Hz to be flicker free, however LCD projectors require a minimum of 480Hz to offer the exact same flicker free performance ***

Select quotes from the February 2017 Widescreen Review magazine (review located on pages 42, 44,45, 46, 47, 48, and 49)

“I have speculated that manufactories of flat-screen TVs and projectors claiming 3D support but having these unconscionably high rates of 3D problems were really what hurt the popularity of 3D in the home theatre/home entertainment realm.”

“Who wants to deal with 3D at home if you see problems in the 3D images every 20 to 30 seconds or less?”

“Honestly, when I heard from a different manufacturer that they felt having to wear 3D glasses was the real reason interest in 3D at home died down quickly, I thought I was in The Twilight Zone. If 3D was so bad as it has been and still is for some products, and 3D glasses were not required, interest in 3D still would have died out quickly.”

This is the first time I’ve seen any projector other than a DLP projector, or Epson’s LCoQ laser-phospher LS-10000 projector, reproduce that menu’s video in 3D without problems.”

“Kudus to Epson for delivering the first “perfect” 3D I’ve encountered from a transmissive LCD projector. And getting this “perfect” 3D performance in the price range of the 6040UB and 5040UB is even more reason to celebrate.”

It looks like this BenQ 4K Ultra HD projector with a true 3840 x 2160P resolution is going to be released on Feb 24th 2017 for a list price of slightly under $8,000. This would make this the cheapest 4K Ultra HD single chip DLP projector on the market. However this projector might not be able to handle 3-D.

http://www.benq.us/news/1486492408__395.html

JVC DLA-RS4500 is JVC’s very first consumer 4K Laser projector

(Light engine lasts 20,000 hours)

I am glad to see JVC release a true 4096 x 2160P projector for the consumer market for only $35,000. Several years ago the very first commercial grade 4K projector was around $250,000. Projectors have really come down in price. In another year or two maybe JVC will release a 4K projector for under $20,000 or even one day under $10,000. The competition has just started touching the under $10,000 price range for entry level native 4K projectors.

The new JVC DLA-RS4500 has no analog inputs, just two full bandwidth 18Gbps HDMI 2.0b ports with HDCP 2.2. HDMI 2.0b supports Dolby Vision, so in theory this new projector will handle HDR10 and Dolby Vision just fine.

When it comes to 3-D quality the JVC DLA-RS4500 is a disappointment. It still needs to be verified, however in theory the frame rate for this projector is most likely 96Hz (96fps) for both 2-D and 3-D material (In 3-D mode each eye sees only 48Hz in theory instead of 96Hz). This projector uses active glasses technology, and the ideal LCOS projector should use a cinema quality RealD passive glasses technology to provide full 1080P with no eyestrain. On a 144Hz DLP projector the active 3-D glasses are ghost free and eyestrain free (each eye sees a separate 72Hz). In the USA 144Hz DLP projectors in the commercial movie theaters use passive glasses instead of active glasses. This 4K JVC LCOS projector is limited to 1080P quality for 3-D that is upscaled to simulated 4K quality (native 4K 3-D source material does not exist yet for the consumer market, and even if one day it becomes a reality it would require HDMI version 2.1 or higher).

In the future JVC needs to make a business relationship with RealD

In the commercial movie theaters Sony uses a high-end 4K SXRD projector with a special RealD dual lens adapter to offer 3-D movies at 2K quality at 48Hz (each eye sees a separate left and right 2K 3-D image at 24Hz without the need to triple flash, similar to a IMAX dual light source setup). Hopefully one day these top of the line Sony SXRD 4K projectors with RealD passive glasses technology might be made available to the consumer market. Currently Sony and JVC have not announced any plans to offer this Cinema quality technology to consumers.

My point is high-end 24Hz LCOS projectors in the commercial cinema’s are ghost free and eyestrain free when it comes to 3-D quality. If high-end 24Hz LCOS projectors or lower quality 96Hz LCOS projectors with native 4K quality were made available to consumers with RealD passive glasses, then consumers could experience good quality 3-D at home without needing to purchase a DLP projector. Right now nothing beats the quality of a 144Hz DLP projector except owning two high-end 24Hz DLP projectors that are stacked to operate in a IMAX style setup.

The following is select word for word quotes from the Sound and Vision magazine Review

This design is a departure from JVC’s projectors of the past, combining three new 4096 x 2160 D-ILA imaging chips with a laser light engine and a massive 18-element all-glass lens. At $35,000, it breaks new ground for JVC on pricing as well, but it actually offers stiff competition in its segment.”

“The back panel is devoid of analog video inputs, offering only a pair of up-to-date full-bandwidth (18 gigabit-per-second) HDMI 2.0b ports with HDCP 2.2 copyright management. There’s a 3D sync port that works with both the IR and RF versions of JVC’s 3D emitters (sold separately).”

“The DLA-RS4500 also does a great job here, and the added brightness goes a long way, but its default settings produced a bit too much ghosting for my tastes. I had to reduce the crosstalk settings in the 3D menu to nearly all the way down before I saw the crosstalk go away in most of the material I viewed. I’m personally still not a real fan of 3D (I get eye fatigue, and I generally don’t like wearing the 3D glasses and enduring the light loss)."

Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...2zae2wvaOP1.97

SPEC SHEET

The following is an interesting quote about counterfeit JVC products being sold in the United States. Who would have thought that a consumer would need to worry about a projector possible being counterfeit. Unreal the type of products that are being counterfeited by China and other countries.

Counterfeit JVC products are being sold within the United States. These products do NOT perform to JVC specifications and are not covered by any warranty from JVC. We are working with US Customs and other organizations to stop the import and sale of counterfeit products in the United States. To ensure the product that you are buying is Genuine JVC we recommend purchasing only from an authorized JVC dealer. A list of authorized dealers can be found at this LINK on our website.”
    Last edited by HDTV1080P; 03-01-2017 at 12:38 AM.

3-D is now officially dead when it comes to flat panel screens for the year 2017

In the commercial movie theaters 3-D IMAX theaters and RealD 3-D theaters are very popular among consumers since the 3-D image is flicker free and ghost free. In the commercial movie theaters in general people are not complaining about needing to wear special glasses to watch 3-D movies. As far as I am aware every commercial movie theater location in America has at least one 3-D movie theater.

In the consumer electronics industry the 3-D feature at home is popular with 4K, 4K Ultra HD, and 1080P projectors (especially the Cinema quality 144Hz DLP projectors and dual IMAX style DLP projectors). Consumers can experience ghost free and flicker free 3-D at home with no eyestrain when and if they have a dark dedicated room to experience a large projector with a 3-D image.

*** There is absolutely no 3-D flat panel displays in existence that matches the flicker free Cinema quality 3-D frame rate found in commercial movie theaters, and that is why no 3-D flat panel displays were every added to the Cinema quality frame rate list (It was a big disappointment that research and develop into developing flicker free and ghost free Cinema quality flat panel displays never became a reality by the flat panel manufactures . ***

3-D flat panel screens had performance problems in the home with ghosting and eyestrain problems because of flicker issues, and that is why no one in the year 2017 makes a 3-D flat panel screen anymore. It had very little or nothing to do with the glasses, it was the terrible 3-D quality experienced on flat panel screens.

One really needs a DLP projector with a projected image of over 100 inches to experience very good 3-D in the home.

Select quotes from Sound and Vision website

Another factor accelerating 3D’s demise: the lack of 3D support in the new Ultra HD Blu-ray format.” (Yes its true 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs only offers 2-D 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs with no support for 3-D at 4K Ultra HD quality, however all 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players do offer legacy 1080P Blu-ray 3-D playback support).

“The prospect isn’t likely—consumer reception of the feature has been tepid at best, and it’s now been eclipsed by high dynamic range. So, if you love 3D and are inclined to buy a new TV, now is the time to jump. Studios regularly release new movies on Blu-ray 3D, and there’s no indication that the flow is slowing.”

Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...I7GRgrZcPbB.99

The discontinued 2016 LG OLED flat panel screens have less problems with the 3-D image quality when compared to other 3-D panels (Still does not meet the requirements to be added to the Cinema quality frame rate list)

For those consumers that are not able to mount a DLP projector on the ceiling in a dark home theater room, and they want 3-D at home. Then I would suggest one purchases a 2016 flat panel screen with the 3-D feature as soon as possible. The discontinued 2016 model LG OLED flat panel screens do have problems with the 3-D image quality when compared to a 3-D DLP projector, however LG’s 2016 OLED flat panels with passive 1080P 3-D technology do offer better 3-D quality when compared to all other 3-D flat panel screens on the market.

http://www.lg.com/us/support/product...d_10112016.pdf

1. LG OLED77G6P (77 inch screen): suggested list price $19,999.99 (offers 2-D 3840 x 2160 quality with 4 HDCP 2.2 HDMI connectors and offers true passive glasses 1080P 3-D quality).

2. LG OLED65G6P (65 inch screen): suggested list price was $7,999.99, however new list price at retail stores is $5,999.99. (offers 2-D 3840 x 2160 quality with 4 HDCP 2.2 HDMI connectors and offers true passive glasses 1080P 3-D quality).

3. LG OLED65E6P (65 inch screen): suggested list price is $3,499.99 (offers 2-D 3840 x 2160 quality with 4 HDCP 2.2 HDMI connectors and offers true passive glasses 1080P 3-D quality).

4. LG OLED55E6P (55 inch screen): suggested list price is $2,499.99 (offers 2-D 3840 x 2160 quality with 4 HDCP 2.2 HDMI connectors and offers true passive glasses 1080P 3-D quality).

http://www.lg.com/us/support/product...d_10112016.pdf

Its amazing how expensive the 77 inch LG OLED77G6P is with its list price of $19,999.99 (For that price I would rather own a high-end DLP projector). The 65 inch LG OLED65G6P is only $5,999.99. For some reason a 12 inch increase in screen size raises the price $14,000 (which is around $1,166.66 for each additional inch). It must be very difficult to make OLED screens over 65 inches. For example the 55 inch LG OLED55E6P only has a list price of $2,499.99, and for the 65 inch LG OLED65E6P it has a list price of only $3,499.99 (one is only paying $1,000 more for 10 more inches which works out to $100 for each additional inch).

Now that 3-D technology only exists in projectors for the year 2017, the new flat panel screens and OLED displays should be able to be made a few hundred dollars cheaper in theory. Now since I want 3-D, I am forced to go with a 4K DLP projector in the future for the main home theater room and I am forced to go with a 4K projector for the bedroom if I want 3-D (DLP projectors offer better motion quality and reference quality 3-D). I really was interested in a 65 inch OLED for at least the bedroom, but now a projector has become a lot more attractive for the future.

OLED needs bigger screen sizes in the 85, 92, and 100+ inches within the next few years at decent prices. It will be interesting to see what happens with this technology in the future.

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253