Palmer is offline Administrator

Default SVS Prime Elevation Speakers - HDD Review

Considering upgrading your home theater to Dolby Atmos or DTS:X, but don't want to deal with cutting holes or trying to bounce sound off your ceiling? Then you, my friend, need to read Brian Hoss' SVS Prime Elevation Speakers review.

http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/4576...er_review.html

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

I like the idea but not quite sure how a speaker on the wall can accurately mimic a ceiling speaker. I see the diagram and the sofa in the middle would indeed be me sitting there.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Csm101 is offline Member

Great article. I've been curious about these and STRONGLY considered them. They were probably my number two option if I would've chickened out from cutting holes in my ceiling. They look very solidly built.

Quote Originally Posted by Csm101 View Post
    Great article. I've been curious about these and STRONGLY considered them. They were probably my number two option if I would've chickened out from cutting holes in my ceiling. They look very solidly built.
    If going with traditional speakers why could you not simply mount them to a stud (rafter?) Who says you have to cut actual holes in the ceiling?

Csm101 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    If going with traditional speakers why could you not simply mount them to a stud (rafter?) Who says you have to cut actual holes in the ceiling?
    For where I placed my speakers, I would still have to go through the trouble of running the wire through the ceiling, and the Mrs would not like big boxes or little ones hanging from our ceiling. The in ceiling speakers hide pretty well once the grills are on.

Quote Originally Posted by Csm101 View Post
    For where I placed my speakers, I would still have to go through the trouble of running the wire through the ceiling
    I see what you mean but those plastic cord covers would conceal pretty well and they're paintable if need be. Sure a popcorn ceiling it would be more noticeable. Tell the Mrs that most people don't look up!!! Show here those white plastic channels. As someone that knows drywall in and out I would say it not to be very complicated but I know your pain.

Brian Hoss is offline HDD Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    I see what you mean but those plastic cord covers would conceal pretty well and they're paintable if need be. Sure a popcorn ceiling it would be more noticeable. Tell the Mrs that most people don't look up!!! Show here those white plastic channels. As someone that knows drywall in and out I would say it not to be very complicated but I know your pain.
    It's not something I wanted to linger on too long in the review, but using the Prime Elevation speakers over in-ceiling leaves me with flexibility of being able to reconfigure the room with relatively minor trouble.

And thanks for checking out the review.