Palmer is offline Administrator

Default CES 2017: R.I.P. 3dtv?

CES 2017 is upon us and while all the big guns are out slinging a plethora of voice activated, self-driving, Dolby Vision, nanocrystal, quantum dot equipped gadgets, there's one former CES-darling with no buzz at all...3D.

My friends, unless Sony has something up its sleeve (or there are more models getting announced later this year) the end is nigh for 3DTV*.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...rip-3dtv/37650

(*I'm specifically theorizing about displays and televisions; I assume theatrical and front projection 3D will continue to be available for as long as exhibitors, studios and manufacturers find these features profitable).

rmoody is offline Member

Good riddance. Never cared for 3D in the theater and certainly have no interest in having to wear glasses (and pay for them) while watching a movie at home. I have a friend that is pretty torn up about it. It's just never been a selling point to me along with curved screens or hyper thin screens. I had nightmares for weeks about our OLED because of the screen flexing as we were picking it up to mount on our stand. It still makes me cringe how close we were to destroying a $3k TV. Give me a nice, sturdy frame for the thing, once it's on the stand or on the wall, who gives a dern how thin it is? What I'm torn up about still is the death of plasma.

Quote Originally Posted by rmoody View Post
    Good riddance. Never cared for 3D in the theater and certainly have no interest in having to wear glasses (and pay for them) while watching a movie at home. I have a friend that is pretty torn up about it. It's just never been a selling point to me along with curved screens or hyper thin screens. I had nightmares for weeks about our OLED because of the screen flexing as we were picking it up to mount on our stand. It still makes me cringe how close we were to destroying a $3k TV. Give me a nice, sturdy frame for the thing, once it's on the stand or on the wall, who gives a dern how thin it is? What I'm torn up about still is the death of plasma.
    I used to be torn up about plasma's demise too... but then I spent a couple months with the LG E6 for HDD and now my VT50 looks positively grey by comparison.

gimlifn is offline Member

The death of 3D I guess for me I am not too happy. I have enjoyed the format when ot is done well. When done well it really can be a whole new way to watch a movie. I was just recently watching Beauty and the Beast the Disney animated version in 3D and it was such a cool fun experience. I wish more movies would have done their 3D in such a high quality way. I hope at least Sony and maybe some others at least keep 3D in the stable for those of us like me.

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

I have always wanted a decent display that does not require the shutter glasses but rather the simple polarized lenses like they use at the theaters. Less bulk, no batteries or charging needed and no shutter effect. There have been a couple in the years but not enough to grab my money. This ultimate demise it truly sad. Maybe in the future there will be something we can do with our 3D software.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Hamstring is offline Member

Too bad, I bought a tv with 3d thinking I wouldn't use it. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoy the 3d at home more than most theaters, Imax being the exception. I may grab an old 4k 3d tv from last year just to have 4k, although watching a lot of 4k content seems a ways off.

rmoody is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    I used to be torn up about plasma's demise too... but then I spent a couple months with the LG E6 for HDD and now my VT50 looks positively grey by comparison.
    I do love our LG B6. It is perfect? No. But it's dang close. We are very pleased with the upgrade. Glad to know from someone that went from a very good plasma to OLED that they are pleased with the switch.

aaronwt is offline Founding Member

I really like 3D. But I like UHD with HDR even better. So I've only been purchasing 3D titles that aren't available in UHD. Or if the 3D BD is included with the UHD BD. Like Sony has been doing with some of their releases. Where they include the 2D BD, 3D BD, UHD BD, and UV digital code.
    = 619(62.9%)
    = 365 (37.1%)
    Last : UHD-IMAX: Extreme Adventure Collection
    Last : P2: A New Level Of Terror
    Media Players: UBP-X800, UBD-K8500, Roku Ultra, FMP-X10, VTEN, FireTV 4k, TiVo Bolt x2
    Gaming Systems: XBOne S x2, PS4 pro
    53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a

pedram is offline Member

It's a shame that 3D isn't more widely available on UHD sets. I still have 3D on my 1080p projector so I'll still be able to enjoy it for a while, but I was hoping to have the option to do passive 3D on a new UHDTV when I finally upgrade. Sadly, the two I was considering after much research (Samsung KS8000 and LG B6) don't offer 3D. I don't want to have to compromise other things that I want in a UHDTV just to get 3D.

What's especially troubling is the fact that cinema 3D experience is never as good as what I see at home (with the exception of Hobbit HFR 3D), so if it's going the way of the dodo and we're just stuck with the (mostly forced upon us) lower quality cinema 3D, then it will be a sad day indeed.

Plissken99 is offline Member

I'm really annoyed because I used to love 3D, however I'd started getting away from it as the ghosting was too much. Now I finally get a projector with the best 3D yet(no ghosting), now 3D is on the way out. I must say I do prefer 4K HDR to 3D even on this projector though. Pacific Rim was my 3D demo material, now it's my 4K demo.

Perhaps VR will be the next big format. Not like anyone enjoys talking to family/friends anymore lol.
    HT gear: JVC X550r 3D projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo BDP-103(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Since CES is a USA Marketplace, can we still assume 3D is doing quite well overseas?
    Is 3D really going away or are they trying to take it away?
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

RobG is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Since CES is a USA Marketplace, can we still assume 3D is doing quite well overseas?
    Is 3D really going away or are they trying to take it away?
    If they were making money on it they wouldn't be dropping it. Supply and demand, supply and demand.
    Rob

Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba Regza 42"
    Vizio 37"
    Toshiba XA2, A-35 & A-3
    Xbox One and Panasonic DMP-BD60
    DVD - 471

Freakyguy666 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    I'm really annoyed because I used to love 3D, however I'd started getting away from it as the ghosting was too much. Now I finally get a projector with the best 3D yet(no ghosting), now 3D is on the way out. I must say I do prefer 4K HDR to 3D even on this projector though. Pacific Rim was my 3D demo material, now it's my 4K demo.

Perhaps VR will be the next big format. Not like anyone enjoys talking to family/friends anymore lol.
    1700 lumens is far too dim for a 150" screen...neither 3D nor HDR will be properly resolved with that set-up.

Plissken99 is offline Member

My Seymour screen material is 1.3 gain, the JVC actually puts out nearly 1700 lumens in high lamp mode(brightest home theater projector I've had). It's brighter than the Sony hw55, which was adequate. I measured 17 ft lamberts in normal mode, 24 in high lamp. Also trying to brag, but I had the JVC rep out of Denver to my house to see my set up as I used it as my showroom(I was a dealer until the end of 2016)he deemed it reference quality.
    HT gear: JVC X550r 3D projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo BDP-103(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    My Seymour screen material is 1.3 gain, the JVC actually puts out nearly 1700 lumens in high lamp mode(brightest home theater projector I've had). It's brighter than the Sony hw55, which was adequate. I measured 17 ft lamberts in normal mode, 24 in high lamp. Also trying to brag, but I had the JVC rep out of Denver to my house to see my set up as I used it as my showroom(I was a dealer until the end of 2016)he deemed it reference quality.
    Hey, Plisken, would you ever be interested in formally reviewing any of the gear in your setup for HDD (projector, preamp, and maybe your screen and speakers)? PM me if you'd like to chat more. Cheers!