scohen is online now Staff

Default CES 2017: HDMI Forum Announces HDMI 2.1 Spec

The latest HDMI spec has been detailed.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...and-more/37648
    Check out my award winning experimental short film Broken Records

HDTV1080P is offline Member

It is awesome that HDMI 2.1 will support native 8K video with 48Gbps cables, however it could be 2026 before an 8K optical disc format is released (With 10GB per second residential Internet, 8K downloads and 8K streaming might prevent a 8K optical disc from being released). The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray format might end up being the last and best optical disc format before streaming and download takes over.

If we start seeing HDMI 2.1 displays and A/V receivers in the future that offer 8K video support then you will know that native 8K movies will be coming a few years later most likely (VUDU and Netflix 8K interfaces will try and kill the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray format).

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
    With 10GB per second residential Internet, 8K downloads and 8K streaming might prevent a 8K optical disc from being released
    Streaming will never out-do physical.
    Where I currently live I doubt I will ever see 1GB internet in my lifetime. I think much of the country is saying this. And imagine the data centers needed to support this.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

gravis778 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Streaming will never out-do physical.
    Where I currently live I doubt I will ever see 1GB internet in my lifetime. I think much of the country is saying this. And imagine the data centers needed to support this.
    I just got 1Gb installed Thursday - sadly, there is not even a speedtest server fast enough to see how fast I really am - I had to connect to several different ones to test both upload and download. I am in an old neighborhood, so I was shocked when AT&T said that fiber was available in my area.

I am not sure if I get the need for the new spec. Uncompressed 8k60fps 12 bit color is 76 Gbps, or 9.5 GBps (8192*4320*3 color * 12bits per color *60fps) . Double that for 3D. So you are not going to be doing UNCOMPRESSED 8k over the cable, but there is PLENTY of bandwidth for compressed in HDMI 1.2. But as I said before, TosLink has plenty of bandwidth to do Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA, so I just learned to say "whatever" when these new specs are announced,

http://www.cepro.com/article/debunki...ta_rate_claims
    Last edited by gravis778; 01-08-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Favelle is online now Member

HEVC is pretty amazing from what I can see. Pretty sure VP9 will be just as good.
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

Lee Stewart is online now Formerly "HDTV Addict"

The immediate benefits to HDMI 2.1 are two fold:

1. Supports 4K @ 120 FPS

2. Supports Dynamic HDR

One movie has already been shot at 4K @ 120 FPS. It will be up to Hollywood to adopt this format. The chances are not too good as Hollywood doesn't seem to like high frame rates

As good as today's HDR is it will be much better in the near future when Dynamic HDR begins to be used.