Palmer is offline Administrator

Default Roku Ultra: HDD Review

Fast, quick, consistent, and capable of delivering a high-end home cinema experience for those with 4K Ultra HD HDR displays and speedy broadband, the Roku Ultra is the best streaming set-top box available in 2016. It takes everything Roku has been doing well for years and improves it. The only question is whether or not you need all of its added features. Find out in our review...

http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/42033/rokuultra.html

Cheers!

HDTV1080P is offline Banned

Default The Roku Ultra Streaming Player is currently the best on the market

The Roku Ultra Streaming Player is currently the best on the market

When I have free time, 99% of the time I am watching Blu-ray discs for the best picture and sound quality. I hardly use streaming at all; however, a family member I know loves to use streaming (mainly Netflix). Since the new OPPO UDP-203 does not have any streaming features at all under its existing firmware, I ended up needing to purchase a Roku Ultra , which is much better quality then any Blu-ray player on the market when it comes to streaming services (of course optical discs still have the best picture quality since optical discs offer high bit rate 4K Ultra HD with lossless audio). The Roku Ultra is superfast and the voice search feature is excellent. Most of the time when one speaks clearly into the microphone on the remote the Roku voice technology correctly looks up the name of the movie or actor that one is searching for, and then the Roku will inform the user which streaming services are offering the movie. For anyone that likes streaming, I highly recommend the Roku Ultra.

The Roku Ultra Streaming Player for $129.99 was given a 2016 top pick award by Sound and Vision magazine. In the February/March 2017 review on page 48 it mentions that: “No other streaming player has the search capabilities, robust remote app, and casting photos and music”. In summary there exists no better 4K Ultra HD HDR streaming player on the market (much better than what any standalone Blu-ray player or Smart TV offers, unless the Smart TV has Roku built in). One negative is the VUDU app only supports up to lossy 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus. The only two negatives mentioned in the review is “Playback control for music and slideshows is awkward”, and “Doesn’t play Dolby Atmos from Vudu”. Maybe a future firmware update might support lossy Dolby Atmos if the Vudu app is updated with a future firmware update. However physical Blu-ray discs have much better sound quality when it comes to Dolby ATMOS, because Blu-ray discs use the bit for bit studio master lossless 7.1 Dolby TrueHD core soundtrack. Dolby ATMOS is ideal for consumers that have at least a 11.1 surround sound setup.

Favelle is offline Member

$35 s905x streamers on Amazon do the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

The Roku Ultra has a nice RF remote control that allows one to use it in other rooms of their house, plus pushing the remote finder button on the base unit will cause the remote to beep so that one can locate a loss remote. In addition, the Roku Ultra remote is two directional with a built in battery tester that reports the battery level to the base unit. The best feature of the remote is the built in microphone.

Adding a micro SDXC card to the Roku Ultra

The Roku Ultra has 1GB of internal flash storage that is used to store streaming channels and games. At this time Roku Ultra does not offer any downloading services, only streaming videos and games. Consumers can add a micro SD, SDHC, or SDXC card to the Roku Ultra to increase their storage space. Therefore, consumers should be able to install micro SDXC size cards up to 2TB’s in size (2TB size cards have not been released yet, and superfast 256GB and larger micro SDXC cards are currently more expensive then the Roku Ultra). I installed a SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO micro SDXC card that has 95MB/s read speeds and 90MB/s write speeds.

This high-end fast 64GB micro SDXC card can be purchased for $43.95 plus free shipping (SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO microSDXC UHS-I/U3 Class 10 Memory Card with Adapter, Speed Up to 95MB/s (SDSDQXP-064G-G46A)).

Once the 64GB micro SDXC card was installed, the Roku Ultra removed the exFAT filesystem and formatted the card using a custom encrypted file system for security reasons. If a consumer has two Roku Ultra devices, then if the card is removed it cannot be read by another Roku Ultra device since each encryption key is unique to that Roku Ultra device (the microSD card must be erased and reformatted in the Roku Ultra device that the card is going to be used in).

Currently under the existing firmware the Roku Ultra will not download movies to a micro SD card, however installing a 64GB micro SDXC card will allow the Roku Ultra to save several thousands of streaming channels and games since the total storage capacity is increased to 65GB (according to technical support both the 1GB internal flash storage and the external flash storage are used by the operating system at the exact same time).

In some rural areas of the United States there is no cable TV service, so some consumers subscribe to Direct TV and Dish Network satellite system to get HD channels, 4K Ultra HD channels, and other programming. However Direct TV with over 20 million subscribers and Dish Network with over 14 million subscribers does not offer any nationwide Christian channels in HD quality (They have over a dozen Christian channels in 480i SD quality). The Roku Ultra has many unique free HD streaming channels that is not offered by most cable and satellite providers. For example there is over 1,000 free Christian streaming channels and many of them are offered in HD quality. I still prefer the quality of cable TV and satellite TV, however the streaming quality keeps improving and 4K streaming of course looks the best.

Some consumers rent Blu-ray discs from REDBOX or Netflix unlimited Blu-ray rentals online, and then to save money they cancel cable TV and satellite TV service and get a Roku Ultra if they want unique streaming channels not found anywhere else. One just needs high-speed Internet to do the 4K Ultra HD streaming with HDR. Some consumers still subscribe to cable TV and satellite TV since sometimes there is exclusive programming that is not offered on streaming channels.
    Last edited by HDTV1080P; 01-10-2017 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
    $35 s905x streamers on Amazon do the same thing.
    Thanks for the information. Also according to the spec sheet it has 8GB of internal storage which is 8 times the amount of internal storage of the Roku Ultra. However the s905x appears to be lacking a remote control with a built in mic for voice searching. That is one of the main reasons consumers purchase the Roku Ultra.

The Sound and Vision magazine review for the Roku Ultra streaming player was just made available today for free on their website. Here is the link:

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...FK7Ed2PYAjA.97

I am hearing comments that lossy Dolby ATMOS now works on the ROKU Ultra when using VUDU. Perhaps the VUDU app was updated. I have not personally tried VUDU and ATMOS since I prefer physical 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs with lossless audio, however maybe sometime in the future I might rent a VUDU movie.

Palmer is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
    I am hearing comments that lossy Dolby ATMOS now works on the ROKU Ultra when using VUDU. Perhaps the VUDU app was updated. I have not personally tried VUDU and ATMOS since I prefer physical 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs with lossless audio, however maybe sometime in the future I might rent a VUDU movie.
    Yes, as I said in my review for this website (link below), you can 100% playback Dolby Atmos soundmixes from VUDU UHD titiles IF you have an UHD display and an HDCP 2.2 compliant AVR. If the display or the AVR are not HDCP 2.2 compliant, the Roku defaults to HDX even if you own the UHD version.

FYI, the Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, and Roku Premiere+ have all been 4K & Dolby Atmos certified on VUDU for months (as well as the Roku 4, which was the first 4K + Atmos player.). I'm hoping when VUDU adds HDR10 capability to its UHD titles, the Roku Ultra and Roku Premiere+ will be among the first products to feature it. Also, to experience Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos with VUDU UHD, you need a VIZIO M or P Series display (and soon the 2017 LG OLEDs). To experience Dolby Vision only (no Atmos) with VUDU UHD, you can use a 2016 LG OLED.

Live.Die.Repeat features a terrific Atmos mix that is currently unavaiable via physcial media.