Palmer is offline Administrator

Default Onkyo HT-S7800 5.1.2 All-In-One Home Theater System: HDD Review

Byran Kluger got his hands on the Onkyo HT-S7800 5.1.2 All-In-One Home Theater System, which features 4K UHD passthrough capability, comes with Dolby Atmos out of the box, and is DTS:X ready. He thinks you won't find a better budget-friendly Atmos / X system on the market right now. Check it out!

http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/4113...metheater.html

aSoFaI is offline Member

I've been looking for an affordable system so I went ahead and ordered after reading the review. I'm completely new to speakers of any kind so I was wondering if I would still be able to listen to 7.1 sound on blu rays since this is just 5.1?

DanzBorin is offline Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by aSoFaI View Post
    I've been looking for an affordable system so I went ahead and ordered after reading the review. I'm completely new to speakers of any kind so I was wondering if I would still be able to listen to 7.1 sound on blu rays since this is just 5.1?
    You cannot. Well, you could theoretically switch speakers to do a 7.1 setup, but it would be quite a bear to do.
    LG 75UH8500 w/ Tivo Bolt
    Onkyo TX-NR646 w/ Polk Audio RTi8s, RT35i, matching center and Klipsh 10" Reference sub

Palmer is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by aSoFaI View Post
    Technically, yes -- the speaker terminal for your height speakers can also function as Surround Back for a 7.1 system -- but it will require A) adding rear speakers as well as B) swapping wires AND C) going into the AVR's menu system each time you wanted to swap between 5.1.2 and 7.1. This is a bit of a headache (something I did while reviewing a Yamaha AVR), but doable if you want to listen to native 7.1 mixes as well as native or upmixed Dolby Atmos content. Personally, though, I would just leave it in the 5.1.2 configuration and place the rear surrounds at a 45-degree angle behind your listening position.

Cheers.

aSoFaI is offline Member

Thanks for the info guys, this'll definitely be enough for me since I'm upgrading from the regular tv speakers so I'll place them at the angle you suggested.