Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Attebery's Avatar
    Attebery is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,716

    Default Denon AVR-X6200W AV Receiver Long Term Review

    We've just posted an in depth review of the Denon AVR-X6200W AV Receiver. Spoiler Alert: It's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Here's why...

    http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/3621...0w_review.html

  2. #2
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    10,609

    Default

    At the price that this receiver is going for one would seriously expect more than 9 amplified channels. When shopping for a receiver I consider myself a Denon guy. Had switched over years ago and never looked back.
    My current setup would most likely call for a 9-amp setup. I currently use 7 speakers with no need for a Sub and would likely add 2 overheads. I could put 4 overheads but feel it would be crowded. So realistically I would run 7.0.2.

    I see they totally dropped S-Video. It's not a HUGE deal but I do on rare occasion revisit S-VHS tapes. I know I probably should make em digital some day.

    Can I assume this receiver works much like other recent Denons do? - If I setup DVD1 I tell it to use Component 1 and Toslink1. If I set up Oppo 103D I tell it to use HDMI2, and so on.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  3. #3
    Palmer is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    990

    Default

    I get your reactions, but from what I've seen only Onkyo makes an 11-channel AVR (at this pricing) and the previous gen model suffered from fan noise.

    And, yes, input customization remains easy & assignable.

    Cheers.

  4. #4
    Josh Z's Avatar
    Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    11,508

    Default

    Keep in mind that when receivers (such as certain Onkyo models) add extra amplification channels, they're still drawing from the same "pool" of available power. They just divide it up to a greater number of speakers, so that now each of them takes a hit and has less power available.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

  5. #5
    moan4stallone is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Great review, one question, did you ever encounter the unit displaying a picture but no sound? My Denon AVR-S910W, would do this every once in awhile till recently it is now only displaying a picture but no sound. Atmos tracks seemed to be the culprit since it never did this with true hd or dts. Tried every trick in the book( blowing into headphone port, firmware, resetting) and am now waiting for Denon to honor their 2 year warranty (4 months so far.)

  6. #6
    immikeulate is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    18

    Default

    I just ordered the X4200W. This review has me so excited!
    PSN ID: M-Easy
    XBOX360 GT: m easy021
    -"LIKE THE GREAT WARRIOR POET ICE CUBE ONCE SAID: IF THE DAY DOES NOT REQUIRE AN AK, IT IS A GOOD ONE!" -Corporal Josh Ray Person, Generation Kill.

  7. #7
    Palmer is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moan4stallone View Post
    Great review, one question, did you ever encounter the unit displaying a picture but no sound? My Denon AVR-S910W, would do this every once in awhile till recently it is now only displaying a picture but no sound. Atmos tracks seemed to be the culprit since it never did this with true hd or dts. Tried every trick in the book( blowing into headphone port, firmware, resetting) and am now waiting for Denon to honor their 2 year warranty (4 months so far.)
    Howdy, Moan! Outside of a few temporary HDMI handshake issues (all of which were fixed by turning the X6200W off and back on), I did not experience anything like what you described. Sorry to hear customer service is going slowly; have you tried reaching out to their Twitter account? That's worked for me with some companies. Good luck.

  8. #8
    P85Plus is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Hi Michael,

    Great review, but I had a question about your setup:

    How did you power the front stereo channels using the "highly recommended" Marantz MM7025 stereo amp? I can understand how (by using the pre-amp output for the front right and left), but you would be left with 2 internal amplifiers that would go unused (please correct me if I am wrong).

    I would love to do what you are suggesting (I have the avr-x6200w) to get the 11 powered channels, but I don't see a way to tell the 6200 that this is the case and reassign the unused internal Front R/L amp channels to power overhead channels.

    An explanation would be awesome so that I can replicate your success.

  9. #9
    Palmer is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by P85Plus View Post
    Hi Michael,

    Great review, but I had a question about your setup:

    How did you power the front stereo channels using the "highly recommended" Marantz MM7025 stereo amp? I can understand how (by using the pre-amp output for the front right and left), but you would be left with 2 internal amplifiers that would go unused (please correct me if I am wrong).

    I would love to do what you are suggesting (I have the avr-x6200w) to get the 11 powered channels, but I don't see a way to tell the 6200 that this is the case and reassign the unused internal Front R/L amp channels to power overhead channels.

    An explanation would be awesome so that I can replicate your success.
    Hey, P85. Welcome to the forum!

    First, does your forum name imply you own a Tesla? If so, awesome.

    Second, onto the important stuff... I don't have the 6200 right in front of me, so pardon the lack of specifics, but for 7.2.4 (or 7.1.4) you need to address two areas in Manual Speaker Setup (before running Audyssey):

    A) Speaker Layout. You need to select how many speakers and subs you have, and whether or not they are in-ceiling, mounted high on a wall, or Dolby Atmos enabled.

    B) Amp Assign. Next, you need to tell AVR which AMPs to use and where. Since the 6200 can process 11-channels, but only amplify 9, you have to use Pre-outs for either the front main speakers OR (i think) rear height channels. Since the MM7025 is pretty powerful, I've read it's best to let it power larger front towers. In this scenario, you leave the FR and FL speaker terminals "empty" on the 6200, utilizing every other connection for the other 9-channels (aka utilizing all 9 internal amps). It looks a little like this (except you want to toggle to Front Left & Right Pre-out):

    Name:  x6200w.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  51.4 KB

    Let me know how it goes.

  10. #10
    P85Plus is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    Hey, P85. Welcome to the forum!

    First, does your forum name imply you own a Tesla? If so, awesome.

    Second, onto the important stuff... I don't have the 6200 right in front of me, so pardon the lack of specifics, but for 7.2.4 (or 7.1.4) you need to address two areas in Manual Speaker Setup (before running Audyssey):

    A) Speaker Layout. You need to select how many speakers and subs you have, and whether or not they are in-ceiling, mounted high on a wall, or Dolby Atmos enabled.

    B) Amp Assign. Next, you need to tell AVR which AMPs to use and where. Since the 6200 can process 11-channels, but only amplify 9, you have to use Pre-outs for either the front main speakers OR (i think) rear height channels. Since the MM7025 is pretty powerful, I've read it's best to let it power larger front towers. In this scenario, you leave the FR and FL speaker terminals "empty" on the 6200, utilizing every other connection for the other 9-channels (aka utilizing all 9 internal amps). It looks a little like this (except you want to toggle to Front Left & Right Pre-out):

    Name:  x6200w.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  51.4 KB

    Let me know how it goes.
    Thank you for the response and sorry for the delay (i wasn't notified that there was a reply).

    Yes, the name implies the Tesla, and yes, I love it dearly

    I have read through the manual, and while yes, you can use an external amplifier for pretty much any of the channels through the use of pre-out, it would leave the front R/L amplifiers unused. I don't see a way to reassign them for say ceiling speakers. The manual tends to lead you to using an external amplifier for celing, wide, height or Zone 2/3 speakers.

    I absolutely love your idea/recommendation, I just feel like if I can't use those freed up R/L amplifiers for other speakers, it would be wasting a portion of money I have already spent. If you hear/find that R/L amps can be reassigned somehow, please let me know.

  11. #11
    Josh Z's Avatar
    Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    11,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by P85Plus View Post
    Thank you for the response and sorry for the delay (i wasn't notified that there was a reply).

    Yes, the name implies the Tesla, and yes, I love it dearly

    I have read through the manual, and while yes, you can use an external amplifier for pretty much any of the channels through the use of pre-out, it would leave the front R/L amplifiers unused. I don't see a way to reassign them for say ceiling speakers. The manual tends to lead you to using an external amplifier for celing, wide, height or Zone 2/3 speakers.

    I absolutely love your idea/recommendation, I just feel like if I can't use those freed up R/L amplifiers for other speakers, it would be wasting a portion of money I have already spent. If you hear/find that R/L amps can be reassigned somehow, please let me know.
    I have the X5200W, which is a 2014 model. If you assign the pre-outs to the front main channels for external amplification, this will free up those amps in the receiver to be used on the height speakers. Until recently, I was running 7.1.4 with an external amp only on my front towers. I'd be very surprised if this feature was removed in the x6200W.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

  12. #12
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    10,609

    Default

    Is the diagram shown for a typical Atmos setup? I notice the speakers on the floor are in a circular pattern.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  13. #13
    Josh Z's Avatar
    Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    11,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Is the diagram shown for a typical Atmos setup? I notice the speakers on the floor are in a circular pattern.
    What's shown in that graphic are 9.1 speakers on the floor level and 5 above, with a Voice of God speaker directly overhead. That's actually an Auro-3D layout.

    Note that not all of those speakers would actually be active. This receiver can only support 11.1 (either 9.1.2 or 7.1.4) at a time.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

  14. #14
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    10,609

    Default

    Thanks Josh. When I expanded my 5.0 system I added 2 more behind the couch, I did so in a traditional layout but if I expand to atmos I am looking at probably 2 more on the ceiling. I imagine there are set locations for these additional 2 for optimal listening. Adding 4 in the ceiling is not practical in a typical living room sized home theater. I have no need for a subwoofer as the 4 main speakers I use have sufficient punch. Where you see left and right surround, the sofa sits between those 2 channels.

    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  15. #15
    Josh Z's Avatar
    Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    11,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Thanks Josh. When I expanded my 5.0 system I added 2 more behind the couch, I did so in a traditional layout but if I expand to atmos I am looking at probably 2 more on the ceiling. I imagine there are set locations for these additional 2 for optimal listening. Adding 4 in the ceiling is not practical in a typical living room sized home theater. I have no need for a subwoofer as the 4 main speakers I use have sufficient punch. Where you see left and right surround, the sofa sits between those 2 channels.
    If you're only going to install two height speakers, the best place to put them is the Top Middle position. I would put them a little in front of your seating rather than directly overhead, because human hearing isn't particularly good with sounds coming from right above us.

    What you lose with only using two height speakers is object movement across the height layer. For example, in a case of a helicopter flying from the front to the back of the room, the overhead sounds can only come from one location rather than panning from front to back.

    That said, it'll still be better than no Atmos. And you will get some sense of the movement because some of those sounds will still pan through the ground-level channels.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1