Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    P85Plus is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    I have the X5200W, which is a 2014 model. If you assign the pre-outs to the front main channels for external amplification, this will free up those amps in the receiver to be used on the height speakers. Until recently, I was running 7.1.4 with an external amp only on my front towers. I'd be very surprised if this feature was removed in the x6200W.
    This is interesting since the manual shows that only the following outputs are assignable:
    Surround Back
    Front Wide/Height2
    Height1

But perhaps this is reserved for 11 channel mode or 9 channel mode. I am in 7.1 + Zone2 because I run backyard speakers off of zone2. I actually don't see a mode for Zone2 with more than 7 channels. I don't have the external amp or height speakers to confirm this, but I want to make sure that it works before I spend the money on the recommended amp. I know eventually I want to run Atmos ceiling speakers as well, and think a separate amp for them is waisted, but for the fronts would be a better call. I guess I will have to play with it.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by P85Plus View Post
    But perhaps this is reserved for 11 channel mode or 9 channel mode.
    Yes, you have to set the receiver for 11 channels.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

P85Plus is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Yes, you have to set the receiver for 11 channels.
    Okay, I just tested that, and Yes, you can make the front R/L pre-out if you choose 11.1 channel main listening only. The result is the front R/L powered outputs go unused as I suspected, but the receiver will light up 10th/11th channel outputs still resulting in 9 channels of power.

However, in my situation, powered Zone2/3 go away and become pre-amp only. This would require a 3rd powered amp to make work and not desirable.

I don't think there is a reason why denon could not create an option to use pre-amp for any speaker pair when configured for powered Zone2/3 configuration, but it doesn't look like a default option.

Thank you guys for your help in understanding how you did what you did. Unfortunately, I can't take advantage of it, but I see how you did it now.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

I've never used Zone 2. I imagine that would complicate matters.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Palmer is offline Administrator

The only way to kinda life-hack this would be to use the Height 2 speaker terminals for your Zone 2 speakers when in "7.1 + ZONE 2" assign mode...

then go into Amp Assign and manually toggle to "11.1" assign mode for 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos / DTS:X with the Pre-Out set to Top Rear . You will need an external amp to run those Top Rear speakers, but you can go with a less powerful amp than the MM7025.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12