Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Default Dolby Atmos Coming to Home Theaters

The immersive theater technology is finally heading to your living room.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...theaters/16035
    Check out my award winning experimental short film Broken Records
    Cool, so when I purchase 48 more speakers and run a half a mile of cable, I will be all set : )

Sounds like something cool, just more niche than anything due to its requirements.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Cool, so when I purchase 48 more speakers and run a half a mile of cable, I will be all set : )

Sounds like something cool, just more niche than anything due to its requirements.
    It's interesting to note that none of the planned Onkyo devices will support over 11.x speaker systems. Giving us 9.x or 11.x discreet channels may be better than nothing, considering we don't have anything over discreet 7.1 as of now, but still, I don't see how this could compare to a real ATMOS theater.

It's also too bad they aren't going to firmware update the TX-NR929 for ATMOS like they're doing with the 636, 737, and 838.
    The 3D King's Collection:
    HD-DVDs: 125
    Blu-rays: 171
    3DBDs: 210
    3DFSDVDS: 10
    DVDs: 281
    PSP Movies: 5
    VHS: 562
    VCDs: 28 official releases
    CD-I Movie: 1 LOL
    Laserdiscs: 176
    Well, the 9.1 should give us front height, and the 11.1 should give us overhead. It seems that 13.1 should be minimal for full immersion. Truthfully, though, I would like to have floor speakers as well. May not be of a lot of use in anything I can think of other than space movies where you can have stuff going on below you, but still.

Sadly, the only one to announce prices is Oynko, and those prices are way out of my price range. I will have to wait for this to drop below $500 (perferably under $400) before I jump, so have to wait for the Sonys and Pioneers and Yamahas (not the elite lines, the regular consumer lines). So I guess a couple of years before price is right - I was just able to go 7.1 about two years ago.
    I'm having a hard enough time figuring out how to do 7.1 in my new house. Damn open concept floor plans don't have enough walls...
    Quote Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
    Well, the 9.1 should give us front height, and the 11.1 should give us overhead.
    Typically, 11.1 would involve 5.1 + 2 back channels + 2 height channels + 2 width channels. I think width would be prioritized over so-called "voice of god" speakers directly over your head. Between the front height channels and the surround channels (which are typically mounted high), you should be able to phantom image overhead sounds fairly effectively.

Truthfully, though, I would like to have floor speakers as well. May not be of a lot of use in anything I can think of other than space movies where you can have stuff going on below you, but still.
    I know that Dolby has experimented with floor speakers for "puddle splash" and footstep effects, but they didn't find it practical enough to be worthwhile.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
    If the home implementation is anything like its theatrical sibling, Atmos tracks *should* be 9.1 cores... so the current 7.1 configuration (front three channels, two side channels, two rear) plus stereo overhead.

In a conventional cinema, the Atmos processor then adjusts itself to fit anywhere from the 9.1 up to 64.4. It'll be interesting to see how advanced the system is for the home, or perhaps it will be more akin to the next generation of Pro Logic.

However, given that most home cinemas are significantly more compact spaces compared to cinemas currently running Atmos, 9.1 should be plenty to recreate an Atmos experience in the home. The reason Atmos works so well is that it's able to take an entire wall (or array) of speakers that were once used only a 1 channel in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup, and divide them into individual discrete channels. In the home, if you listen to a 7.1 mix on a 7.1 set up, that one-to-one ratio is more akin to Atmos than a theatrical 7.1 experience.
    True, but I am sure this would also depend on the size and shape of the room. My current apartment is small and square, and the sound is very different from my last apartment which was a wide rectangle, and that is very different from the house I lived in for several years that was long and rectangle. The idea that I could get the same sound in any of those settings would be nice.

The long rectangle room also had holes in the sound. I honestly thought of adding a couple more speakers on the sides to try to balance it out a bit (I didn't because I was not sure how I would drive them). Atmos would certainly take care of that.

I am sure someone will release a system that will do 17 channels or maybe even 21 (probably not more) for home for the few people who actually want it. Think people who have converted those huge basements into home theaters. Of course, this also brings the question of how far do you sit from your screen. In my current place, I could see 13 being good (although my neighbors might not agree). If I were back in my old house, I could certainly see 17 working for me
    Yeah, hopefully, home-cinema-Atmos will also allow customization so if you want to run 13/17/21 channels (assuming you have the amplification), it will be able to adapt to it.

Update: here's an idea of how it will work with Onkyo products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    Wow, you got to buy new speakers too? Dang it, I just spent about $700 on speakers about six months ago!
    Meanwhile, most consumers are moving to soundbars
    Quote Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
    Wow, you got to buy new speakers too? Dang it, I just spent about $700 on speakers about six months ago!
    I don't think you're required to buy new speakers, but the ones Onkyo shows are designed to fire both forward towards the listening position and upwards, which probably helps with immersiveness. I'm not sure if these dual-firing speakers are meant to substitute for height channels or be used together with height channels.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
    Correct, given what I've seen via the above Onkyo link, you technically don't have to purchase new special Atmos speakers IF you're prepared to move / mount one-to-two pairs on the ceiling. But if you don't want, or can't, install speakers in the ceiling, you have the option to buy Onkyo, or other brand, speakers that fire forwards and upwards, most likely with two inputs on each speaker.

OR you can buy these speaker modules that (presumably) sit atop speakers you currently own. If I jump into Atmos (I want to), I'll most likely need to get these given my apartment set up

The fun, and possibly frustration, of getting Atmos in the home seems only limited by the number of channels on your receiver:

With a 7.1 receiver, you can only do a "5.1.2" Atmos set up (Normal 5.1 plus stereo height).

With a 9.1 receiver, you can do up to a "5.1.4" or "7.1.2" Atmos set up (5.1 + four height, or 7.1 + stereo height)

And with an 11.1 receiver, you can do up to "Dolby's recommended" "7.1.4", or "9.1.2"
    Totally forgot about this from the other thread. If special speakers aren't required I would certainly pick up a new receiver that supports ATMOS sometime. I can attest front height is useless, I tried it, never noticed it. Front width is supposed to be better, but the rooms characteristics wouldn't allow it.
    HT gear: JVC RS46 3D projector with 147in Hi Power screen, Klipsch RF-7 based 7.1 system, SVS subwoofer, Emotiva XPA5 5 channel amp, Pioneer 1120 reciever, Oppo BDP-93(region free), PS4 Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2
    Great news. I've been waiting for this for a while.

Now to just figure out how to get those speakers in the ceiling. Also, I'm sure the studios are happy that they have a new excuse for making consumers double dip with the new Atmos-enabled versions of Blu-Rays they've already released.

Personally, I'll probably wait for the next physical media, which should also have Atmos support (and I'm also hoping HFR), so I can get more than just a sound upgrade when purchasing new media. Though, if that's too far away I might just give in and get Atmos enabled Blu-Rays.