Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Exclamation Is Panasonic getting out of the TV business??

appleinsider.com is reporting today that Panasonic plans to exit the TV business. If true it would be very bad news indeed for home theater enthusiasts.

appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/16/panasonic-to-exit-tv-market-hopes-to-build-lcd-panels-for-apples-ipad---report
    Panasonic to exit TV market, hopes to build LCD panels for Apple's iPad

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...-ipad---report

Panasonic chairman plans company shift away from TVs and consumer electronics. But is it too little too late?

http://www.whathifi.com/blog/panason...ut-is-it-too-l
    "If you can't dazzle them with brillance . . . baffle them with Bull*&^%" - W C Fields
    Panasonic says the rumors are "are basically speculative in nature and contain a number of errors of fact or misinterpretation."

Of course, that's not even close to a no. I'm wondering if Panasonic is simply going to quit LCD but keep plasma production going. It'd be a real shame to lose Panny plasmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDickWard View Post
    Panasonic says the rumors are "are basically speculative in nature and contain a number of errors of fact or misinterpretation."

Of course, that's not even close to a no. I'm wondering if Panasonic is simply going to quit LCD but keep plasma production going. It'd be a real shame to lose Panny plasmas.
    Probably the other way around - quit plasma and continue with their LCD production
    "If you can't dazzle them with brillance . . . baffle them with Bull*&^%" - W C Fields
    WOW! I'm speechless. My jaw dropped when I read the title of the post. It would be such a damn shame to see panny plasmas go off into the sunset. Hope this is not true.
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"
    Quote Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
    WOW! I'm speechless. My jaw dropped when I read the title of the post. It would be such a damn shame to see panny plasmas go off into the sunset. Hope this is not true.
    Indeed, LCD TVs remain the only growing TV technology, as OLED TVs are likely to launch late this year, and LCD continues to take market share from both CRT and plasma technologies. LCD TVs are expected to account for about 88% of total TV shipments worldwide in 2012, up from 82% the year before, and are projected to peak around 97% of overall unit demand in 2015. Plasma TV shipments on the other hand will fall to about 5%, declining 26% Y/Y as pricing becomes uncompetitive at key sizes.

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde...l_expected.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
    Indeed, LCD TVs remain the only growing TV technology, as OLED TVs are likely to launch late this year, and LCD continues to take market share from both CRT and plasma technologies. LCD TVs are expected to account for about 88% of total TV shipments worldwide in 2012, up from 82% the year before, and are projected to peak around 97% of overall unit demand in 2015. Plasma TV shipments on the other hand will fall to about 5%, declining 26% Y/Y as pricing becomes uncompetitive at key sizes.

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde...l_expected.asp
    It's good to see you again Lee. Haven't seen you on this site for awhile.
    My mancave:

Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Quote Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
    It's good to see you again Lee. Haven't seen you on this site for awhile.
    LOL - I have been around - just not posting that much here at HDD. Mainly only in this forum.
    LOL - I have been around - just not posting that much here at HDD. Mainly only in this forum.
    Good to see you...just the same.
    My mancave:

How are people screwing this up!!! Plasma is superior in picture AND price. Plasma is so smooth, it's like that 18yr old you used to see after work when her mom is away and she'd jump in your arms when you walked in her house. Full of life, fast and chic fil a meals are okay.

How?? One of the greatest mysteries in the history of products. A better product for less price loses out to lcd. Oh well, the vt50 and gt50 are still better than any led and oled will cost a metric crap ton for the next 5 years.
    At least samsung and lg are still making the plasma sex. I blame wal mart, target, best buy. HH gregg is the only one with employees that know plasma is the best. The best tvs ever made have been plasma.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDickWard View Post

I love my 65VT50. Seriously, I love it.

I'm probably going to buy a 50GT50 for a secondary unit.
    "How long is this movie?"

"Who directed it?"

"David Lean"

"Three hours...at least."
    Quote Originally Posted by COLD_COBRA_ View Post
    How are people screwing this up!!! Plasma is superior in picture AND price. Plasma is so smooth, it's like that 18yr old you used to see after work when her mom is away and she'd jump in your arms when you walked in her house. Full of life, fast and chic fil a meals are okay.

How?? One of the greatest mysteries in the history of products. A better product for less price loses out to lcd. Oh well, the vt50 and gt50 are still better than any led and oled will cost a metric crap ton for the next 5 years.
    At least samsung and lg are still making the plasma sex. I blame wal mart, target, best buy. HH gregg is the only one with employees that know plasma is the best. The best tvs ever made have been plasma.
    LCDs are:

Brighter than Plasma
    Use less power than Plasma
    Can use FPR tech for Passive 3D
    Are made in smaller sizes than Plasma
    LCDs are:

Brighter than Plasma
    And PQ still looks crap.
    LCDs are:

Brighter than Plasma
    Is this guy serious? I thought we were on a forum were people actually knew about tvs.
    Quote Originally Posted by COLD_COBRA_ View Post
    Is this guy serious? I thought we were on a forum were people actually knew about tvs.
    Is any one of my "bullets" on my list untrue?