Default Need a little direction on TV for a gamer

I am an avid gamer. I have every system out there. I'm also a movie nut and watch a lot of Blu-Ray content. Of course I watch TV on the screen as well. I'd say it's 50% gaming, 30% movies and 20% TV and sports. I am contemplating upgrading my LCD TV in my bedroom to something newer/better. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's the old 60hz kind. Anyway I have done some research on my own but need a little better direction. Let me run down my situation a bit for you all.

I sit about 7-8 feet from the screen. Current TV is 40"
    I like how Plasma looks better than LCD but is it a concern for gaming with static images (status bars)?
    Can the new LED/LCD TVs produce images that don't have motion blur? I know Plasma has a super fast response time that makes it practically impossible for any bad motion to occur.

So my main concerns are what size screen would be best for this distance? Would 50" be too large? I don't want to sacrifice image quality for screen size because I know the closer you sit the more you can see the pixels and such. Also what brands are considered top quality today? I have a Samsung LCD now and they were always pretty highly rated when I purchased mine. I'm not hardcore into 3D or network stuff on the TV but if it comes with it as a bonus and doesn't jack the pricing then I may consider this. I would have to upgrade my receiver as well though to use my PS3 in 3D. I like the way the Samsung LED TVs look with their super thin profile and they are super bright. I have found though that bright colors do not translate to accurate colors and I would prefer accuracy over pure brightness. However I am not all that familiar with the new sets on market so I don't know how those are rated against Plasma TVs in the same size range. I do know Plasma is a bit cheaper but that is not a real concern as the price difference isn't that significant from what I've seen.

I'm sorry for the rambling post. I'll answer any further questions anyone has for me if it helps in the recommendations.
    Could anyone recommend a model that I should consider?
    Well if it helps, I have a 43" Pioneer Elite I play MW3 for hours and never have any burn in issues. Ive had this tv for years and use it mainly for gaming. I sit 8 feet away and is the perfect size for me.

Ok so Plasma is ok for gaming. I just need to pick a size and model. How big is too big for 8foot viewing distance?
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Ok so Plasma is ok for gaming. I just need to pick a size and model. How big is too big for 8foot viewing distance?
    I really can't answer that as I have a 43" and a 46" and sit 8-10 feet away. IMO it's the perfect size for me. Not sure how a 50+ would look at 8 feet, I'm sure you will get a few different opinions but at the end of the day all that matters is what you like and see. Good luck.
    50" at 8' is an appropriate size. I sit about 12' and our 64" is nice, but we will probably go to the 80" display before long. While THX specifications for movie theaters may be a bit overwhelming, for day to day use, I find that about half your viewing distance in inches diagonal is pretty comfortable for most people.

So, at 10' = 120" - 120" x .5 = 60" diagonal TV

It is not proper for an incredibly immersive home theater setup, but for day-to-day viewing it is very comfortable.

Full immersion typically is your viewing distance times .66 equals the screen WIDTH. So, a 8' viewing distance would be a 64" WIDE screen, which is about a 70"+ diagonal. A bit bigger if you like sitting close in the theater.
    AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology consultation during the build and installation process in the Washington DC, Northern VA, and MD area.