Reply 
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,281

    Default Best Buy Launches an Insignia HTiB


    And from the look of things, it's not all that bad. On paper anyway.

    http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...93&newsLang=en
  2. #2
    URL in news article is slightly off. Try: http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...93&newsLang=en

    Doesn't mention TrueHD & DTS-HD MA decoders, but it does imply HDMI audio. Thus, it could give Sony's HT-SS series (I have the HT-SS2300) a run for its money as a good entry-level HTIB with HD audio, especially since the Insignia has HDMI 1.4 (a necessity if 3-D is in your future).
    Last edited by RBBrittain; 06-23-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Clarify
  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,960
    If I went deaf and the only cure was to buy and use an Insignia HTIB, I would choose silence.
    My Home Theater
    Display - 18" Dynex with 2:1 Ultra Contrast
    Audio - Samsung Soundbar W/4" Subwoofer
    Consoles - Super Nintendo, Playstation 1
    Comfort - Rite Aid Folding Lawn Chairs
    **Saving up for Insignia Blu Ray Player **
  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, Virginia
    Posts
    23,509
    Quote Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
    If I went deaf and the only cure was to buy and use an Insignia HTIB, I would choose silence.
    Damn man, low blow. Probably a good idea though
    The nerd is a tirelessly predictable creature whom the promise of boobies is like a bacon sandwich to a starving wolf. - Yahtzee
    List of My Games!
    Audio:
    Denon AVR4311CI+SVS 1646 PC Plus Subwoofer+Paradigm Monitor 9V5 x 2+
    Paradim CC-390+Paradigm ADP-370 x 2
    Video:Panasonic PT-AE2000U Projector
    Consoles:Wii+WiiU+Gamecube+PS3+360+DSi XLS & Lite+PSP*2+Dreamcast+Saturn+SNES+Genesis
    PSN/WiiU:Godstar/XBL:G0DSTAR --> with a zero.
  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
    If I went deaf and the only cure was to buy and use an Insignia HTIB, I would choose silence.
    I wonder who actually makes their products, but yes, silence would be a fair option.
  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by jahnesta8 View Post
    I wonder who actually makes their products, but yes, silence would be a fair option.
    It's Best Buy's house brand I believe.
    My Home Theater
    Display - 18" Dynex with 2:1 Ultra Contrast
    Audio - Samsung Soundbar W/4" Subwoofer
    Consoles - Super Nintendo, Playstation 1
    Comfort - Rite Aid Folding Lawn Chairs
    **Saving up for Insignia Blu Ray Player **
  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
    It's Best Buy's house brand I believe.
    That is right, but I highly doubt any sector of Best Buy actually manufactures these products. They are most likely made by another company then slapped with the Insignia logo and sold at a cheap price (not the mark up found on most products).
  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
    If I went deaf and the only cure was to buy and use an Insignia HTIB, I would choose silence.
    You have a sound bar, therefore you have zero credibility.
    50" Pioneer Elite Pro-111fd |Pioneer Elite 92 A/V R | Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands | Vienna Acoustics Hadyn Grands | Vienna Acoustics Maestro Grand | Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer | 60GB (launch) | XBOX 360 Elite (with HDDVD Add on) | Oppo BDP-80 | Harmony 900 | Pro-ject Turntable |
  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    17,293
    Quote Originally Posted by jahnesta8 View Post
    That is right, but I highly doubt any sector of Best Buy actually manufactures these products. They are most likely made by another company then slapped with the Insignia logo and sold at a cheap price (not the mark up found on most products).
    Typically LG or Samsung (at least their most recent BD players).
  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by evizzle View Post
    You have a sound bar, therefore you have zero credibility.
    GV has a "little" more than what his signature suggests...
    To buy or not to buy? That is the question....
  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by evizzle View Post
    You have a sound bar, therefore you have zero credibility.
    And I guess having a Harmony One remote gives you credibility?
  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kingston, OH
    Posts
    39
    OK, so I worked for Best Buy right as the Insignia line was being rolled out. You wanna know who makes their stuff? It's a smattering of multiple brands stuck in one case. Lets say you buy a Insignia Blu-Ray player. The laser assemply might be Samsung, but the video processor will be from some off the wall shit company. I know for a fact that the video processor they use in their LCD's is from some wack company out of Thailand....something I never heard of before. Insignia = pure shit plain and simple. Look for other "great" Best Buy brands such as Dynex and RocketFish....truth be told it's all the same crap slapped with different labels. The RocketFish is supposed to compete with Monster, which Best Buy used to push like whipped cream on a sundae. It's all about the profit margins; push the higher doller stuff and Best Buy brands stuff so we make a higher profit. Yep, Insignia, Dynex, and RocketFish all have retarded markups....like 300-400 percent. That $70 RocketFish cable you just bought would cost a Best Buy employee about $9.50.....and that's true with Monster Cable too. Don't get me started on them.....it's all a hype. While Monster makes STURDY cable, it's still the same quality picture and sound as Acoustic Research, Phillips, Vizio, Sony, etc.... Anyways, yeah, I like Best Buy, but they make pure shit and try to say it's the best thing since sliced bread (which is awesome by the way).
    "He told me to take the lifeline exercise and forceably insert up my anus!"
  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by bumina View Post
    OK, so I worked for Best Buy right as the Insignia line was being rolled out. You wanna know who makes their stuff? It's a smattering of multiple brands stuck in one case. Lets say you buy a Insignia Blu-Ray player. The laser assemply might be Samsung, but the video processor will be from some off the wall shit company. I know for a fact that the video processor they use in their LCD's is from some wack company out of Thailand....something I never heard of before. Insignia = pure shit plain and simple. Look for other "great" Best Buy brands such as Dynex and RocketFish....truth be told it's all the same crap slapped with different labels. The RocketFish is supposed to compete with Monster, which Best Buy used to push like whipped cream on a sundae. It's all about the profit margins; push the higher doller stuff and Best Buy brands stuff so we make a higher profit. Yep, Insignia, Dynex, and RocketFish all have retarded markups....like 300-400 percent. That $70 RocketFish cable you just bought would cost a Best Buy employee about $9.50.....and that's true with Monster Cable too. Don't get me started on them.....it's all a hype. While Monster makes STURDY cable, it's still the same quality picture and sound as Acoustic Research, Phillips, Vizio, Sony, etc.... Anyways, yeah, I like Best Buy, but they make pure shit and try to say it's the best thing since sliced bread (which is awesome by the way).
    I actually do have a Dynex 27" in my kitchen for the wife to watch while she's cooking. It's literally one of the shittiest displays I've ever seen. Every product that I've seen that has the Dynex or Insignia name has been bottom of the barrell.
    My Home Theater
    Display - 18" Dynex with 2:1 Ultra Contrast
    Audio - Samsung Soundbar W/4" Subwoofer
    Consoles - Super Nintendo, Playstation 1
    Comfort - Rite Aid Folding Lawn Chairs
    **Saving up for Insignia Blu Ray Player **
  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    632
    My brother won a citizen HTiB 5 years ago, it was pretty damn terrible. I was curious to know how crappy these things sounded thou didn't dissapoint

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts