Go Back   High-Def Digest Forums > High-Definition Content and Gear > Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page Hello, newbie here......having weird purple lines running on my tv...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Default Hello, newbie here......having weird purple lines running on my tv...(FIXED!)

Hello all. I just registered (although I have been lurking) here in the forums and was wondering if anyone could help me with my problem.

I recently purchased the 40" Sony Bravia LCD and its been running perfectly. The PS3 runs beautifully with my hdmi hooked up and so does the wii and the xbox 360 with their component cables.

The problem im having is with my cable box.
    I recently just upgraded it when I purchased my tv and ever since its been running with horizontal purple lines (faint but its there and annoying) up it. The HD channels look great but even still, it has the purple lines running up the screen.
    I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and how it was fixed. I'm thinking it may be the component cables that came with the box when I exchanged it.
    I tried looking online for a solution but I really couldn't find much on this problem.
    I even went through the setup on my cable box with no improvements.
    All my other systems on running fine without this line on the screen.

Any help would be really appreciated. Im really just beginning to get into this whole HD thing and would really love advice.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by TheJoker; 10-19-2007 at 07:56 PM.
    I had a problem just like yours. I believe its called a Ground Loop.
    I dont know much about it but you can find much more about it at the AVS forums. just look it up.
    heres a quick link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

The problem I had went away by itself...was kinda wierd....I have only had that happen to me twice....with my projector...I would get these huge purple lines moving up the screen...
    Xbox360 Games: 45

Last 360 games purchased: Blur, Darksiders
    Currently Playing: Bad Company 2

Gamertag: Onavarro8
    ID: onavarro8
    Definitely a ground loop. You'll get purple and green lines. You'll also get a hum in your speakers if it's in your speakers.

You usually get it when you have the source equipment on a different ground than your TV.
    Thanks for the replys.

But im still confused after reading the wiki article. How do I fix this problem?

Is there something I can buy or should I just switch my power plugs around (if that will do anything)?

And im kinda overwhelmed over at the AVS forums....my eyes hurt looking at the pages...

Quote Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
    Definitely a ground loop. You'll get purple and green lines. You'll also get a hum in your speakers if it's in your speakers.

You usually get it when you have the source equipment on a different ground than your TV.
    Yup, thats exactly whats on screen. It only happening with my cable box at the moment.

But what do you mean by source equipment?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    But what do you mean by source equipment?

I believe he is referring to your cable box and was asking if the cable box is on the same circuit as the TV. My guess is you are using a power strip of some kind with all your devices plugged in to it so everything would be on the same circuit.

Since cable boxes are rentals it could be the box itself. Do you have another one to try?
    Video: 70" JVC HD-70G886, Denon 2807, Toshiba HD-A2, Toshiba BDX2000, aTV, SageTV
    Audio: Athena WS-100 (F), WS-60 (C,SL/R), WS-15 (SBL/R), AS-P4100
    The Nightman Cometh "You've got to pay the troll toll to get into this boy's hole. You've got to pay the troll toll to get in!"

I think im beginning to understand....

So if I were to say hook my cable box into the power socket directly as opposed to a power strip....maybe that will help?

Cuase I do actually have all my electronics hooked up onto a power strip......

But no, I do not have another cable box to try.
    Way back in august of last year i asked about the lines in the AVS forums and this is the answer that i got from one of the guys there:

"Yes, disconnect the cable as a test. If the lines go away, then you know your cable/satellite feed coming into the house is the culprit. This is the most common cause. It is due to the cable/satellite having a different ground potential than the house ground. It can be solved using a ground isolator device. Some cheapie units sometimes work, and others require a fairly expensive one (Jensen for example - see http://www.cs1.net/cables/products/j...rs/VRD-1FF.htm) "

dunno if that might help....
    Xbox360 Games: 45

Last 360 games purchased: Blur, Darksiders
    Currently Playing: Bad Company 2

Gamertag: Onavarro8
    ID: onavarro8
    onavarr8 has the answer. Ground loop isolators should solve the problem. They can get warm though, so keep it away from anything that is heat sensitive.
    Thanks for that.

Ive searched some online sites and it seems that the ground loop interceptors that are being sold are only primarily for audio problems.

Do they also work for the lines that im getting on screen?
    Also, is there different types of these interceptors?
    I do not want to lose any of the picture quality as it goes through my component cables...

Im very thankful for the replies im getting here. Im learning new stuff everyday.
    ROFL - All it is, is your screen name "TheJoker" - didn't the Joker wear purple, that might explain the purple lines - I bet that would solve the problem? Sorry for the humor, but good luck with getting your set working...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    Thanks for that.

Ive searched some online sites and it seems that the ground loop interceptors that are being sold are only primarily for audio problems.

Do they also work for the lines that im getting on screen?
    Also, is there different types of these interceptors?
    I do not want to lose any of the picture quality as it goes through my component cables...

Im very thankful for the replies im getting here. Im learning new stuff everyday.
    http://www.elect-spec.com/video.htm

Search google for video+ground+loop+isolator or video+hum+bars
    http://www.elect-spec.com/video.htm

Search google for video+ground+loop+isolator or video+hum+bars

Thanks for the link.

But alot of the video ground isolators ive seen are pretty expensive.

The lines are annoying but if I let it continue, will it affect the screen in any way?
    It shouldn't affect the screen, but It's annoying as hell. Try plugging everything into different circuits, get a voltage regulator (or simply a fine power conditioner), and try out different things. Make sure your output is grounded as well (might need an electrician on this one).
    It shouldn't affect the screen, but It's annoying as hell. Try plugging everything into different circuits, get a voltage regulator (or simply a fine power conditioner), and try out different things. Make sure your output is grounded as well (might need an electrician on this one).
    Im pretty sure its grounded.

We just renovated the house and all so it should be fine.
    Ill try plugging it into different circuit like you said and even maybe change the power strip to a different one if that will help.
    A ground loop isolator is between $20-35 at Radioshack. I just recently diagnosed and corrected this problem for a friend. The cable boxes and subwoofers are most commonly the problem - easy fix.
    [446] Team Plasma