Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last>>

Default Universal: HD DVD Plans in Flux

Just posted:
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1497

With Universal having thrown its weight behind Blu-ray earlier this week, the studio says the fate of its remaining HD DVD releases is currently TBD.

Though the studio has yet to make any formal announcements, when asked to confirm recent retail reports that it was planning a March 18 HD DVD debut for the Oscar nominee 'Atonement,' a Universal rep told us that the studio's entire HD DVD slate is currently in flux -- leaving open the possibility that it may not issue any more titles in the format.

As for which titles might be affected by such a move, prior to Tuesday's announcement, Universal had only confirmed two upcoming HD DVD releases: the Chevy Chase comedy 'Fletch' (due March 11), and the Tom Hanks-Julia Roberts starrer, 'Charlie Wilson's War' (which had been planned for sometime in the April-May timeframe).

At press time, the majority of titles on the HD DVD release schedule were split between Warner and Paramount/DreamWorks. As we've previously reported, Warner recently reiterated their intention to continue supporting the format until the end of May, while Paramount has yet to set a timetable for its own move to Blu-ray (just this week, the studio issued fresh details for two upcoming HD DVD releases, 'Sweeney Todd' and 'There Will Be Blood.')
    I wouldn't be surprised if Uni dropped HD-DVD support completely considering the current state of affairs.
    Enjoying life in HD!
    Be funny if Universal had a new blu-ray title out before Paramount. But I can't say I would be surprised.
    Like any other business, they want to earn rather than lose money this year. So it's just proper that they think about their options very carefully...

- T
    GET A PS3!
    The Digital Swiss Army Knife
    I am having trouble thinking of any Uni titles I want at the moment.
    IIRC, HD DVD insiders said that the pressing of their titles take about 3-4 weeks, while BD insiders said it was roughly the same, maybe an extra week. That would mean any title from the last week or two of March on is fair game.
    The emergence of a single, high-definition format is cause for consumers, as well as the entire entertainment industry, to celebrate.
    --Craig Kornblau, (President, Universal Pictures Home Entertainment), February 19, 2008

Wil Wheaton says: Don't be a dick!
    I would be willing to bet $ that Universal will put out a blu ray disc out before Paramount and it doesnt matter what movie they put out you can bet I will buy it, unless its a girly movie, then I'll wait for their 2nd.
    50" Pioneer Elite
    60G PS3
    Sony - 40" 1080p KDL-40V3000
    Samsung BD-P1400
    Klipsch - Quintet SL
    Klipsch - 12" 650W SUB-12
    Pioneer - 770W 7.1-Ch VSX-917V-K
    Blu ray movies 46
    Quote Originally Posted by breadordecide View Post
    The Bourne Trilogy are some of my all time favorite movies. I can't wait for Universal to release these on Blu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Gibson View Post
    Be funny if Universal had a new blu-ray title out before Paramount. But I can't say I would be surprised.
    Hopefully it is something good.

Quote Originally Posted by breadordecide View Post
    Pretty much, that is all I have left for HD DVD are Universal titles. I'm hoping that some of my favorites are released soon on Blu-ray with upgraded PQ.
    Beyond Media Online - Get your alternative Blu-ray and DVD Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Macks View Post
    I would be willing to bet $ that Universal will put out a blu ray disc out before Paramount and it doesnt matter what movie they put out you can bet I will buy it, unless its a girly movie, then I'll wait for their 2nd.

I'll bet they have something ready now, they are the one's short on announcements not Paramount. The question is whether they will stop a HD release planned or not. Personally, I don't see the disadvantage unless retail pulls the HDM of HD DVD very very soon, in that case, it's total curtains.
    User of Home Theater:

Panasonic HD-1080p/24 AE1000u, Pioneer VSX-94TXH 7.1 A/V Home Theater Receiver, DISH HD DVR ViP 622, Panasonic BD-35, Playstation 3 60 GB Blu Ray, Toshiba HDDVD XA2, 110" 16X9 Dalite Screen, 110" Carada 2.35 to 1 WideScreen, 7.1 Surround Sound Set up, Full Surround Power Amps, 2 400 watt subs, Mac Mini w/wifi 300 plus HDM titles and growing.
    I'm sure that Universal had a pretty good idea what Toshiba was going to do long before 4 days ago so they likely have had Blu-ray production of some kind on the go for a few weeks at least.
    "There will not be a 400 dollar ps3. God, that's like the titanic running into another iceberg... Stop your FUD."
    Treadstone
    Ive been blu from the start so it dont bother me what they do. What there prob thinkin is if we aint put em to disk yet so whats the point, blu is the future, we might as well save a bit of money. Altho i must say it would be abit shitty of towards the hd-dvdrs to cancel em after they've already announced em. They mite aswell release em its only 2 movies, and it'll keep those hd-dvdrs sweet towards the studio for when they switch to blu (even if they wont admit they will) thats the only reason i think warner and paramount are still doing it for when the hd-dvdrs switch they'll buy there movies in blu. I say that cause ive read no end of people on here saying "oh i'll never buy another movie from them again!". if tht makes any sense.
    - 60gb
    - 36 (1 on way, 5 more pre-orded)
    It seem as if Universal likes being monogamous and not sharing the love. I guess now that they are behind , they will give all of their support. I think they are done with and that's it.
    Shaun of the Dead... Best Universal release ever... One of my favs anyways. Can't wait for that one in Blu-Ray
    Mitsubishi HC4000 300-Inch 1080p Front Projector
    110 Inch Carada Precision Screen

X-Box 360 Slim 250GB
    Playstation 3 Slim 160GB
    Blu-Rays - #? Need to recount... (Last Purchased: Great Mouse Detective)

Want to trade with me? PM ME!

I never get jealous when I see my ex with someone else, because my parents always taught me to give my used toys to the less fortunate...
    I'm guessing it's all over for HD DVD supporters who love Universal titles. It seems as if they're just going to end it abruptly. It sucks for HD DVD customers.

I guess there really isn't any point in supplying them with new titles when the customer base isn't going to be growing exponentially anymore.
    I think I'm in love with my radio.... Because it never lets me down.