View Poll Results: What format do you prefer?

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • HD-DVD

88 56.05%
  • Blu-Ray

69 43.95%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last>>

Default You have Both HD and BluRay what do you like better and Why

You have Both HD and BluRay what do you like better and Why.
    This can open up a can of worms. I am in the smackdown section, lets go!

Post what you like better HD or Blu-Ray and Why.

Take the poll if you own both and what format you like better. Notice in the poll I did not put, I like both or equally the same. I want to know which one you would rather watch. Or lets say their was a Warner Release, or a release on both formats, which format would you get if you own both?
    TV: 65" Toshiba DLP 65HM167- 1080P
    SD DVD's- 250+
    HD: Toshiba HD A-2 (2.7)
    HD DVD- 20
    Blu-Ray- Sony BDP-S300 (3.3) | Blu-Ray- 22
    Receiver- Sony 700W 7.1-Ch. A/V Home Theater Receiver (Model: STR-DG820)
    Speakers-Sony - 8" Bookshelf Speakers (Pair), Sony - 5-1/4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (Pair), Sony Dual 5-1/4" 2-Way Center-Channel Speaker | Sub- JBL 12" Studio L8400P 600-Watt
    Rocketfish Universal Wireless Kit for-
    Sony - 5-1/4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers
    BluRay. There are some really cool things about HD but if I can buy the release on both formats I would buy it on BluRay before HD.
    And then I ran my tin-cup heart along the prison of her ribs.
    HDDVD at the moment. The region free aspect and the price of the players. If Bluray was region free or a decent affordable player comes along which can be made region free I will buy it for the exclusive content on Bluray and be pretty much indifferent about either format.
    I prefer blu better. And now that it has 1.1 there should be no contest plus most of my favorite movies come from blu studios.
    Enjoying life in HD!
    HD-DVD, I like the remote better
    (I made this thread a while back, but it fell)

HD DVD for me. Region Free is big, some extras, and some of my all time favorites are on HD DVD.

I still buy Blu, but choose HD DVD for the Warner releases.
    AOS Pyrochaos
    Pyrochaos
    Quote Originally Posted by WellInformed View Post
    Yes, X360 has technical advantages over the PS3. Bad code can still run on the X360. It can't run on the PS3.
    I'm watching the ST:TOS season 1 HD DVD. Some of those episodes I have seen at least four dozen times but now I can watch them with the fancy Genesis PiP, or Tech PiP or Starfleet Acadamy PiP really got me bouncing.

I watched "Where No Man has gone before", which actually wasn't a favorite episode of mine with all the PiP on. And the little factoids, and the current date interviews with the stars and their backend anecdotes made it worthwhile.

You Just Cannot Do That With BD.

I'm sorry, but unless they're going to encode the piece THREE TIMES (one for regular, one for Genesis, one for tech etc then you simply must admit that it Cannot be done.

One day it might be possible. Not now.

Next, Shrek 3. The online Pop Up Trivia. I actually enjoy the movie MORE with that on. And the Trivia has changed since the release date and last weekend. Some items have dropped, some are new.

I live for those extras.
    I live in East Toronto and am married to a beautiful woman who runs a yoga studio. We have two wonderful kids, boy and girl, two cats and a mortgage that is almost paid off.

I have an HD-A20 and a PS3 but leaned red because the extras did count. Bye Bye HD, you gave it your best, that's all we could ask. Sony, finish your damn product already!

The Numbers: 900+ DVDs (rapidly declining), 34 HD-DVDs (+1 on order, + 5 free), 17 BDs (+2 on order). Last movie: Close Encounters.
    Less obnoxious fanboys and arrogant insiders
    Main Theater: Epson Home Cinema 8500UB Projector, 150" screen, Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray Player, Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player, Toshiba HD-A35 HD DVD Player, LG BH200 Super Blu HD DVD/Blu-ray Player, Sony PS3 60GB BD Player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-VHS Player, FIOS QIP6416-2 HDDVR, Custom HTPC, Pioneer CLD-V710 LD Karaoke Player, Denon AVR-3808CI HDMI 1.3 130W/ch 7.1, Klipsch RC-25 L/C/R, RB-25 side and rear, RW-12 Subwoofer
    Living Room: Samsung HL-S 6187 1080P DLP RPTV, Panasonic BDP-BD55K Blu-ray Player, Toshiba HD-A30 HD DVD Player, FIOS QIP6416-2 HDDVR, Custom HTPC, Onkyo TX-SR607 90W/ch 7.2, Yamaha NS-125FP L/R, NS-SP1600 C/Surrounds/SW
    Bedroom: Sceptre X42GV-Naga 1080P LCD/HDTV, FIOS QIP6416-2 HDDVR, Custom HTPC

My Home Theater

My Movie Collection
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
    HD DVD for me. Region Free is big, some extras, and some of my all time favorites are on HD DVD.
    ROFL, I know you are purple so this isn't a knock against you but...
    I love how the HD DVD fanboys say the US is the only market that matters and then they say region free is a big benefit of HD DVD.
    HD DVD > I believe it will win the war so I rather have a lot of HD DVDs. Also, in my taste HD DVD has the best titles out.
    I don't wanna be a soldier, I don't wanna sign up for war

Purple by nature
    definitely blu-ray for me. more big box-office movies, higher disc capacity, protective coating, integration with my ps3, and a complete sales lead for 2007 is what pushes blu-ray forward in my opinion.

HD DVD is great too, but with the lack of protective coating, 30gb storage limit, disappointing sales, and less huge releases than blu-ray, its less attractive to me.
    Blu-ray Discs Owned: 237

Pioneer 60" Kuro 600M
    SVSound SVS-01 5.1 Surround Sound
    Onkyo SR-TX805 Receiver
    Sony PS3 Slim 120GB Console
    Microsoft Xbox 360 S 250GB Console
    Logitech Harmony 720 Universal Remote
    It is really hard to choose between the two. I really enjoy what Disney has done for Blu-ray. Some of the best movies I have seen to date. There are 3 factors that swing me toward HD DVD.

1. PIP: I know it is coming to Blu-ray but it has not been perfected as of yet. I was blown away by the PIP feature in the 300 and it is really a cool feature. If there is a chose between both formats and PIP is included then I will buy the one with PIP. Of course I will not always use it but it brings a different aspect to the movie which is pretty cool feature.

2. Not Sony. I don't particularly have a problem with Sony but with any corporation that has its fingers in all pieces of the pie. I don't know if they will abuse this power but odds are they will. A company really should not have a Studio, a Hardware format and the Software. To many ways to take advantage of Joe consumer.

3. DRM: I know that HD DVD is also working on new DRM products but it appears that BDA is really striving to lock up their products for good. I understand it is illegal to copy and distribute movies. But if I want to make back ups of movies to play on my Creative Zen why is this such a bad thing. I don't want to have to pay extra to watch a movie on a mobile device if I just spent $30+ on it just the other day. I think that both BD and HD should have a voucher in its software for a free download of the "ipod" version of the movie.

The main reason I was buying HD DVD over Blu-ray was because I had two HD DVD player and only one Blu-ray player. I recently purchased another BD player and have enjoyed it. I now find myself debating on which format I will buy the movies in. More than likely I will purchase in HD but I think I may dip into some blu-ray should the HD DVD product be lacking in audio no lossless as compared to PCM of BD.
    Sony KDL 46V2500 / Sony KDS-60A3000
    2-Xbox 360's

PS3

Brian Fantana=Chiefs Fan (Poor Brian Fantana)
    Quote Originally Posted by spicynacho View Post
    ROFL, I know you are purple so this isn't a knock against you but...
    I love how the HD DVD fanboys say the US is the only market that matters and then they say region free is a big benefit of HD DVD.
    I like it because certain titles are released in Japan or so, that are must have for me. And now I can watch them in HD. Like Equilibrium, I highly doubt that will be comming to any HD format anytime soon in the states.
    AOS Pyrochaos
    Pyrochaos
    Quote Originally Posted by WellInformed View Post
    Yes, X360 has technical advantages over the PS3. Bad code can still run on the X360. It can't run on the PS3.
    I'm really pretty indifferent. But, I do like PiP and the other types of "next-gen" extras that HD DVD has and usually that's causes me to lean red.

Warner titles I try to buy on HD DVD. But I bought 2001 on BD because my Fry's didn't have it on HD DVD.

It's strange. I lean red but, because of the recent BOGO's I now have more Blu-ray's.

In the next few weeks I plan on buying more HD DVD's than Blu-ray's but other than the Potter's I have no choice in the matter - they are all exclusives.
    "When I'm drunk I like to Google 'Daniel Waters underrated' and see what comes up." - Daniel Waters
    HD DVD is my format of choice because of the following.

BD+ is a negative for any consumer which many bd titles use
    Region free for HD DVD. I can buy titles that are not avaible on either format in the U.S., but are avaible overseas.
    HD DVD players have completed specs.
    Price of players. I want to have one HD DVD player on each t.v. in my house. That could break the bank if I were to go bd players that had 2.0 profile sometime next year.
    Content. I have way more hd dvd's than I do bd's.
    Sound and video are the same if not better in some cases for my hd dvd players. I dont have hdmi so analog inputs are my only choice for high res audio. The ps3 doesnt have 5.1 analog outs so no high res audio for my system, the sammybdp1000 doesnt put out any high res audio other than pcm encoded bd's. My first generation HDA1 has analog 5.1 outputs so I get dolbyTru hd and dolby+.

Did I mention price again. Without the bogos the bd prices are higher as fox titles are the highest prices for non day and date releases. Most of my titles are catalog titles. About 85% of them are catalog titles on both sides.