Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Default Lack of advertising to increase consumer awareness

I was "fortunate" enough to stay home with my sick 6 year old today and while attempting to work from home got to enjoy the sound of Cartoon Network (all day).

I noticed that Fantastic Four - Rise of the Silver Surfer was being heavily advertised with the release date approaching next Tuesday. I took time to check out the commercial and was amazed that at the end of the 30 second spot I heard the following: Coming next Tuesday Oct. 10 to DVD. No mention of Blu-Ray....no Blu-Ray logo anywhere on the screen.

Can anyone offer opinions as to why they would not at least mention it?

It makes me wonder how badly they really want to sell it.
    Because both Fantastic Four's sucked. I almost walked out of the first one.
    www.tarheelblue.com - www.techs-on-call.biz
    Bring back Firefly! www.browncoats.com
    "I'm still saving my precious pennies for a true universal player even thought I bought a $100 HD DVD player."
    I've said it a Millions times the easiest way is to INCLUDE it on their DVD's with some type of Insert promoting their High-Def (Universal, Disney) and even a quick FAQ.

Who knows maybe they think On-Demand is the Future?

Just think that most still don't know HDTV's.
    SHAOLIN'S FINEST

46" SAMSUNG LN46D630 1080P LCD | DENON AVR-2808CI Lossless 7.1 Receiver | Sony BDP- S760 | Toshiba HD-XA2 | ROGERS 8300HD-PVR | polk audio RTiA5 Cherry Towers, CSi3 Center, R25 Rear Surrounds & M30 Rear Surround Backs
    That is merely an opinion. I tend to agree with you that the greatest thing going for either movie is Jessica Alba but all over this forum I see BD supporters touting this awesome line up of releases this fall that is just going to kick HD DVD's ass in sales. Every time they proudly display this list Spiderman 3 and the F4 are right there at the top.

I merely intrigues me that they don't even give a quick passing mention that this will be available on Blu-Ray as well.

At the same time, on the other side Knocked Up is also being advertised for an upcoming release. Now this is not exactly Academy Award winning cinema here either but they do mention (albeit very quickly) that it will be available on HD DVD and the cute little logo is up on the screen for a split second. Then they go on to really plug the 2 disc DVD Special Edition giving it's box 2 or 3 seconds of screen time.
    This is one thing that has really bothered me with both formats. With the exception of a few "also available on___" on commercials you rarely ever hear anything about HD DVD or Blu-ray.

I think the idea of putting inserts into DVD's explaining the benefits of HD is a great one.

I also think store displays need to be much better. From what I've seen Walmart, Bestbuy, and Circuit City all just have HD movies on a shelf next to the DVD's, nothing that really makes them stand out in any way. Target atleast has a bright marker that stands out but then they only have about a dozen titles of each.

I also think the end displays really need more information. Just having a TV with a player connected catches people attention but then there isn't any information to actually explain the benefits of HDM.

Maybe the studios are just more patient than we are and think it's too early to really push HD but I think they could do a few simple things that could make a big impact and get the word out.
    Over 400 Blu-rays and growing...
    Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    I've said it a Millions times the easiest way is to INCLUDE it on their DVD's with some type of Insert promoting their High-Def (Universal, Disney) and even a quick FAQ.

Who knows maybe they think On-Demand is the Future?

Just think that most still don't know HDTV's.
    I like that idea. The story today about the survey Best Buy did is a great example. Now, they only surveyed 1000 or so people so the results are hardly conclusive, but it does demonstrate a lack of awareness out there.

I don't think it's because people don't care. Any true lover of movies will be sold the first time they witness an HDM disc presentation on a nice big screen. "I want that!" is likely to be the first thing out of their mouth.

I have yet to see any CE company that makes a BD player advertise it on TV. I don't watch a lot of TV, but these things have been on the market for a year and a half and the price of LCD HD monitors has dropped rapidly in the same time frame. It seems like if anyone wanted to really increase consumer awareness (which is the first step in selling a new format) that advertising on TV would be a great way to do it.

Perhaps it is just that the cost of the players is so high that they figure mainstream adoption is so far off that they can wait and advertise later. Like when the price comes down.
    I think Blu-ray has definately had the advantage in terms of advertising, sometimes mentioned BEFORE the DVD release with some titles! HD-DVD needs to be more vocal. Just recently, for Knocked Up, all that is shown is a logo for HD-DVD. It just dosent seem all that important for HD-DVD, IMO, to mention this fact. Not going to help them in the long run.
    Another thing I forgot to mention... who is in charge of marketing for both Sony and Toshiba?

Sony's PS3 ads are probably the worst ads I have ever seen. I own a PS3 but if I didn't there is nothing in any of there ads that would make me want to buy one. Here's an idea.... maybe show game footage or movie footage or talk about what it does instead of putting a PS3 in the middle of a room with random nonsense happening around it.

Toshiba atleast talks about their players with the sopranos guy but they are dull as hell and don't actually show much. Again... maybe show a movie while he is talking about it so people get an idea.

Sometimes I think both formats are trying to lose to the other!
    Over 400 Blu-rays and growing...
    Quote Originally Posted by DSquared View Post
    That is merely an opinion. I tend to agree with you that the greatest thing going for either movie is Jessica Alba but all over this forum I see BD supporters touting this awesome line up of releases this fall that is just going to kick HD DVD's ass in sales. Every time they proudly display this list Spiderman 3 and the F4 are right there at the top.
    Tell you what, If HD-DVD wins the week that Fantastic 4 comes out, I'll accept a 1 week ban, if not, you should.

I know, I know it's a sucker bet, but it's a fun one.

If you don't think Fantastic 4 will sell well, just say so, but it'll be at the top of the charts until Transformers comes out and might even stem off some of the Transformers tide until Spider-man 3 comes out and from then it's all Blu-Ray and there's nothing HD-DVD has for the rest of the year.

Logan
    I've been hearing Sony's happytv ads on XM lately.
    I like the Fantastic Four movies. They are exactly what the Fantastic Four should be - family action. I remember walking out of the first movie wondering if it would do well, as I hit the parking lot of the theater there were a bunch of kids running around playing Fantastic Four, "I'm the Thing!" "No I'm the Thing!" "I'm Johnny!"

I knew right there that the movie would do well. I think the second movie would have done much better in a less crowded summer
    I own a 360 and a PS3. I play my 360 more but think Uncharted is the best game of this generation so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
    I like the Fantastic Four movies. They are exactly what the Fantastic Four should be - family action. I remember walking out of the first movie wondering if it would do well, as I hit the parking lot of the theater there were a bunch of kids running around playing Fantastic Four, "I'm the Thing!" "No I'm the Thing!" "I'm Johnny!"

I knew right there that the movie would do well. I think the second movie would have done much better in a less crowded summer
    Haven't seen the second one yet, but that was pretty much my thinking with the first. Kind of nice to have one of the superhero franchises aimed at younger viewers, as I can't let the little guy watch Batman Begins for several more years...
    TV: 46" Sony Bravia Multi-System HDTV LCD TV (KLV46S200A)
    Blu-Ray Player: Playstation 3
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1707 7.1ch A/V-Receiver w/ Auto Setup
    DVD Player: Denon DVD 1930 w/ upconvert, SACD & DVD-Audio
    Subwoofer: SVS 25-31PCi with 320 watt built-in Amp
    Speakers: Paradigm Studio/CC (Cent), Studio/40 Stand-mounted (Fr), ADP-170 (Bk)
    Blu-Ray Titles: 184
    they should put the hd dvd trailor out there on tv... spectacular high definition picture... losless sound... welcome to hd dvd... that would be sweet.
    no signature pics allowed here? = lame

Default That's a Shock

Quote Originally Posted by DSquared View Post
    I was "fortunate" enough to stay home with my sick 6 year old today and while attempting to work from home got to enjoy the sound of Cartoon Network (all day).

I noticed that Fantastic Four - Rise of the Silver Surfer was being heavily advertised with the release date approaching next Tuesday. I took time to check out the commercial and was amazed that at the end of the 30 second spot I heard the following: Coming next Tuesday Oct. 10 to DVD. No mention of Blu-Ray....no Blu-Ray logo anywhere on the screen.

It makes me wonder how badly they really want to sell it.
    I am seeing Billboards around Toronto (Canada) for this home vid release and it boldly states at the bottom Available on Blu Ray High Def and DVD on October 2nd, 2007.

I've already received a Standard def version of the movie (free) and will watch it this weekend but since I don't believe in Blu Ray I certainly won't be buying it, as I generally won't buy SD DVDs and especially won't buy a SD DVD from a studio releasing only on Blu Ray (quit buying Disney even though I own like 100+ of their Animated original releases or Platinum Collection DVD sets, so they lost a real collector by their idiotic exclusive support of Blu Ray).
    DJD
    Quote Originally Posted by hi_i_am_wade View Post
    Because both Fantastic Four's sucked. I almost walked out of the first one.
    The Truth!
    I live in East Toronto and am married to a beautiful woman who runs a yoga studio. We have two wonderful kids, boy and girl, two cats and a mortgage that is almost paid off.

I have an HD-A20 and a PS3 but leaned red because the extras did count. Bye Bye HD, you gave it your best, that's all we could ask. Sony, finish your damn product already!

The Numbers: 900+ DVDs (rapidly declining), 34 HD-DVDs (+1 on order, + 5 free), 17 BDs (+2 on order). Last movie: Close Encounters.