Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hd dvd pride!

Plissken99 is offline Member

I'm finally working on phasing out my HD-DVDs. I still have 90 or so left, so it'll take a while. I got the Xbox HD-DVD drive and I'm ripping them to a hard drive. I wanted to convert them to BD discs, but there's too much work involved with processing the files.

Kind of hate to see them go, but I need the rack space and HDMI input that the old Toshiba XA2 is still taking up.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

Rich86 is offline Member

Consider a Kinivo HDMI switch - they work great and switch automatically based upon which HDMI input becomes active. They make 3 input (301 model) & 5 input (501 model) versions. I got a couple off Ebay very reasonably. Comes with a power supply connector & remote (I use the power supply, but have never needed the remote - remote useful only when more than 1 hdmi input is active and the unit guessed wrong which one to choose).
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs

Actually as I rip these I'm glad to be rid of HD DVDs. Many of them are rotten, 7 out of the 8 Universal HD DVD/DVD combos have been rotten, as have ALL Miramax titles. Early Warner titles are bad, Last Samurai and Lethal Weapon were rotten.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

RobG is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    Actually as I rip these I'm glad to be rid of HD DVDs. Many of them are rotten, 7 out of the 8 Universal HD DVD/DVD combos have been rotten, as have ALL Miramax titles. Early Warner titles are bad, Last Samurai and Lethal Weapon were rotten.
    That is strange. I have not had one HD DVD that failed to pay on my XA2, and only a few that failed to play on my other HD DVD players.
    Rob

Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba XA2
    OPPO UPD-203
    DVD - 489

Might want to check them, from what I'm reading online many people have the same rotten titles. Universal HD DVD/DVD combos being the most common to fail.

However your XA2 might read them, different players handle the rot differently, and our XA2 was the best at not freezing up. Mine might, but thankfully most that have been rotten are cheap on Blu Ray, many are improved. In one case I was able to rip the main feature, as the rot/bad sector was in the extras.

I've never had an HD DVD not work with the XA2. I had to clean a few discs before, but that's not unusual. With my other HD DVD players I did have problems with the combo discs. With Blu-Ray, I've never had a problem that was not fixed with a little dish soap. I've also never experienced disc-rot.

In relation to disc-rot, I think that's claimed far too often. In reality, very few discs have disc-rot, and it's not something that gets worse with time. The discs either have the glitch or they don't. It's was a manufacturing problem.
    Rob

Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba XA2
    OPPO UPD-203
    DVD - 489

Favelle is offline Member

I still have 12 titles on my shelf....just keeping them for fun. None have the disc rot. Only disc rot I ever had was with 5-6 early Blu-ray titles that Best Buy replaced for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I've never had an HD DVD not work with the XA2. I had to clean a few discs before, but that's not unusual. With my other HD DVD players I did have problems with the combo discs. With Blu-Ray, I've never had a problem that was not fixed with a little dish soap. I've also never experienced disc-rot.

In relation to disc-rot, I think that's claimed far too often. In reality, very few discs have disc-rot, and it's not something that gets worse with time. The discs either have the glitch or they don't. It's was a manufacturing problem.
    Well I'm actually going to half way agree with you. Probably in most of these cases it was authoring glitches. The Miramax movies almost certainly, as there were some curious authoring choices I can see in the guts of the disc. One file for a movie with DD+ and another larger file on the same disc of the movie with TrueHD, or movies split into two files no matter how you rip them.

Last Samurai and Poseidon were definitely disc rot. Disc rot is quite real and does get worse over time. I had several DVDs rot over the years. These were discs that worked fine at first and years later weren't. In a few cases the rot was visible, you could see where the glue separated. Those used to work fine and don't, even the XA2 wouldn't read them.

I guess I've just been lucky.
    Rob

Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba XA2
    OPPO UPD-203
    DVD - 489

Rich86 is offline Member

There is no question that a large number of HD-DVDs released by Warner & manufactured by cinram had problems right out of the gate. I had a fairly large number of them - all replaced by Warner. A couple of Rhino & Magnolia titles too - also replaced. All defective discs were tested on multiple players including a Toshiba HD-A35, HD-A30 + a Toshiba internal computer HD-DVD drive . . all indicating they were clearly defective.
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs

bruceames is online now Member

Don't know how many defective discs I have. I know almost all of them would be from Warner. I was able to make iso copies of all the Warner movies a few years ago. Fortunately the HD DVD drive is a little less fuzzy than the Toshiba players, so I was able to back up a few movies that wouldn't play in the XA2. The LG BH200 is also less finicky (at least mine was/is), playing all the Warner movies that the XA2 would play (I think there were 5 or 6 at the time). Also could be partly on the player side. An 8 year old player is more likely to have read problems than a new player that has the latest upgrades.

anadmanni is offline Member

hd dvd

Name:  Prideandprejudiceposter.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  74.5 KB

Own it on Blu-ray, DVD & Digital HD Now.

Synopsis
    One of the greatest love stories of all time, Pride & Prejudice, comes to the screen in a glorious new adaptation starring Keira Knightley. When Elizabeth Bennett (Knightley) meets the handsome Mr. Darcy (Matthew MacFadyen), she believes he is the last man on earth she could ever marry. But as their lives become intertwined in an unexpected adventure, she finds herself captivated by the very person she swore to loathe for all eternity. Based on the beloved masterpiece by Jane Austen, it is the classic tale of love and misunderstanding that sparkles with romance, wit and emotional force. Critics are calling it "Exhilarating. A joy from start to finish" (Carina Chocano, Los Angeles Times).

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Wrong forum (??)
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

I wasn't sure what that Pride & Prejudice was being posted for here either.
    Rob

Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba XA2
    OPPO UPD-203
    DVD - 489

Hamstring is offline Member

I couldn't believe that someone just posted in here. Just a stray off topic post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12