Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50

Thread: Is 3D dead yet?

  1. #1
    Bill is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    66

    Question Is 3D dead yet?

    Looking for anyone with news from "inside" the industry.

    Obviously a few big-name movies are still pushing 3D. For example, Marvel comic-book movies, The Hobbit, and Avatar. But is the industry expecting 3D to grow and thrive, or is it expecting a quiet, continual drop-off leading to another burial of 3D (until someone tries to revive it again)?

    Anyone with "industry insider" news on the current mood on 3D?

    I would ask this in the 3D forum, but that forum clearly states "The 'I hate 3-D' crowd may not post in this section of the forums." - so I'm not allowed to post there.

    TV programming support for 3D went off a cliff last year. ESPN and BBC both dropped 3D in 2013. The BBC's reason to suspend 3D indefinitely was "lack of public appetite". (http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-23195479)

    So, is it time so say RIP (again) 3D? Or do some movie big-weights really expect to change the tide and make 3D flourish?

    Obviously I'm in the "hope it's dead. The sooner it dies, the better" crowd. I would rather see hardware and media resources spent on better picture quality, such as Dolby Vision. But I'm not here to argue should it die. What I'm asking is - for anyone "in the know" - is it dead or dying yet? On life support? Only in critical care? Or is it still healthy and kicking?

  2. #2
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    10,171

    Default

    Much like UHD format, is the cart before the horse?
    People want content. Studios trickle out content and get mixed messages when the sales figures come in.
    Then there's a-holes like Disney that holds out and doesn't release 3D in the USA but does everywhere else. To some people Disney is a major player and therefore a factor into buying their hardware.

    Since noone specific is in charge of 3D Blu Ray there is not going to be the support for it like we had seen during the HD disc format wars. Sony made behind closed doors negotiations with the studios to produce the software for their (Blu Ray) platform, thus undermining Toshiba's format which at the time was slightly better. Not the case with 3D, nobody negotiating for content except consumers' wallets.

    Honestly speaking, I still have not bought a 3D tv yet, but whenever possible I do buy the 3D Blu Ray set of new releases. When (if) the right display comes out and I get off the fence and buy it, I will have software to play for it, without having to re-buy all by movies again! Right now the 3D set in many cases cost $5 more or so.
    Waiting has paid off so far. The first 3D sets were too dark and only 720P in 3D mode. The next ones were 1080P but still lacking in features and still dark with crosstalk issues. The next ones did not use active shutter glasses but still had a resolution problem or other issues including a lower refresh rate. There are tvs now that don't use glasses but I do not think they're going to be very effective at producing a 3D image on a flat screen. Perhaps the best we can expect is a passive system that has a decent brightness (auto-compensate the brightness for when playing 3D media) and a decent viewing angle with no crosstalk or banding. We are almost there but is it too late?
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  3. #3
    malakai's Avatar
    malakai is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,217

    Default

    3D is nowhere near dead, as a global format. In Europe, it's hot and growing. The demand in Germany is so great that they're constantly putting out bad conversions (Sharknado 3D, anyone?) in the marketplace JUST to try meet those 3D content demands. China is also getting on the 3D bandwagon and growing at a rapid pace, with a fairly recent contract to put up almost 800 more RealD theaters by 2017 and 120 more IMAX theaters by 2021. They're getting conversions (Transcendence, for example) that even Germany hasn't gotten.

    The US 3D market is suffering. My opinion is that it's because of a combination of bad movies, bad conversions, and plateauing out. Diehard 3D fans, like myself, aren't going to give up on 3D, but we are tired of crap movies constantly being released. Avatar came along and got mainstream moviegoers into 3D for a few years, and films like Gravity, Avengers, Captain America, and Pacific Rim come out. Everyone gets a burst of excitement for 3D again. Then it plateaus out again. As long as there are tent-pole 3D films (and I'm not calling Gravity or Pacific Rim tent-pole films, albeit the upcoming Pacific Rim 2 may be considered one) being released, 3D will be around for a long time.

  4. #4
    Yoda's Avatar
    Yoda is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Perhaps the best we can expect is a passive system that has a decent brightness (auto-compensate the brightness for when playing 3D media) and a decent viewing angle with no crosstalk or banding. We are almost there but is it too late?
    My passive 3D tv does all of the above in 1080p and just like you I started buying 3D content before I bought my tv, best move ever (movie wise)
    55" LG LM6400 3D Smart TV
    3D player PS3/PS4/Xbox One
    Gamertag/PSN ID : Minute Man 721/Minute_Man_721
    Xbox 360 currently playing Dead Rising 2 Off The Record
    Xbox One currently playing Quantum Break
    PS3 currently playing Dino Crisis 2
    PS4 currently playing..........



    "Those that make up their mind before listening to the argument is a f#*king fool" - Chris Rock

    Restore the Republic 1789 - 1913

  5. #5
    RobG is online now Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Rob

    Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba Regza 42"
    Vizio 37"
    Toshiba XA2, A-35 & A-3
    Xbox One and Panasonic DMP-BD60
    - 136
    - 504
    DVD - 471

  6. #6
    bruceames's Avatar
    bruceames is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Novato, CA
    Posts
    7,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    My passive 3D tv does all of the above in 1080p and just like you I started buying 3D content before I bought my tv, best move ever (movie wise)
    Which passive 1080p 3D TV do you have? Only a few 4K TV models are capable of it. I have the Sony XBR 65X900A which has it and the 3D looks fantastic with no ghosting on even the most problematic movies (such as Chicken Little).

  7. #7
    bruceames's Avatar
    bruceames is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Novato, CA
    Posts
    7,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malakai View Post
    3D is nowhere near dead, as a global format. In Europe, it's hot and growing. The demand in Germany is so great that they're constantly putting out bad conversions (Sharknado 3D, anyone?) in the marketplace JUST to try meet those 3D content demands. China is also getting on the 3D bandwagon and growing at a rapid pace, with a fairly recent contract to put up almost 800 more RealD theaters by 2017 and 120 more IMAX theaters by 2021. They're getting conversions (Transcendence, for example) that even Germany hasn't gotten.

    The US 3D market is suffering. My opinion is that it's because of a combination of bad movies, bad conversions, and plateauing out. Diehard 3D fans, like myself, aren't going to give up on 3D, but we are tired of crap movies constantly being released. Avatar came along and got mainstream moviegoers into 3D for a few years, and films like Gravity, Avengers, Captain America, and Pacific Rim come out. Everyone gets a burst of excitement for 3D again. Then it plateaus out again. As long as there are tent-pole 3D films (and I'm not calling Gravity or Pacific Rim tent-pole films, albeit the upcoming Pacific Rim 2 may be considered one) being released, 3D will be around for a long time.
    3D fans in the U.S. will have to get used to importing and will have to get a region free player, because the 3D market is dying here. If Disney doesn't release Frozen 3D (or Beauty and the Beast 3D reissue) this November then that's all she wrote. On the manufacture side, very few TVs even come with 3D anymore. You have to buy a high end model and that usually means 4K. In the last Best Buy ad, I saw only one 1080p TV in the flyer that has 3D. Only ONE. So if the hardware for it is going away, the content surely will follow.

  8. #8
    malakai's Avatar
    malakai is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    3D fans in the U.S. will have to get used to importing and will have to get a region free player, because the 3D market is dying here. If Disney doesn't release Frozen 3D (or Beauty and the Beast 3D reissue) this November then that's all she wrote. On the manufacture side, very few TVs even come with 3D anymore. You have to buy a high end model and that usually means 4K. In the last Best Buy ad, I saw only one 1080p TV in the flyer that has 3D. Only ONE. So if the hardware for it is going away, the content surely will follow.
    I've been into importing them from the start, especially since movies like The Mortician didn't get released here, because Americans 'can't get' (their words, not mine) the premise of a 3D drama.

    Filming in real 3D is an art-form though, and I hope that American indie filmmakers use the format as much and as long as possible. I do stereopgraphy (still images mainly but mess with video as well) myself and would love to get a beam-splitter rig one day.

  9. #9
    Yoda's Avatar
    Yoda is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    Which passive 1080p 3D TV do you have? Only a few 4K TV models are capable of it. I have the Sony XBR 65X900A which has it and the 3D looks fantastic with no ghosting on even the most problematic movies (such as Chicken Little).
    I got a LG passive tv. The backlight brightens up the 3D picture watching 3D at home for me is better than watching it in the cinema. The 120 Hz in 3D gives you a 1080p picture, turn it off and it drops to 720p.

    How's the 4K tv? I'll be picking one up in 2 years time
    55" LG LM6400 3D Smart TV
    3D player PS3/PS4/Xbox One
    Gamertag/PSN ID : Minute Man 721/Minute_Man_721
    Xbox 360 currently playing Dead Rising 2 Off The Record
    Xbox One currently playing Quantum Break
    PS3 currently playing Dino Crisis 2
    PS4 currently playing..........



    "Those that make up their mind before listening to the argument is a f#*king fool" - Chris Rock

    Restore the Republic 1789 - 1913

  10. #10
    twonunpackmule's Avatar
    twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    2-D Theater
    Posts
    31,988

    Default

    As a format, yes? It's dead. However, with most things death take while to catch up. A lot of the films still coming out were pre-pro'd during the time frame that 3D was still successful. It's also not very expensive to convert and trick a few people out of some money. So...it might linger for a bit. However, it isn't viewed seriously and I don't the new breed of film makers are going to support it. You won't be seeing them in a few years and I'd be surprise if TV manufacturers continue to support it too. It's already being excluded on a lot of sets.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

  11. #11
    The_Doctor's Avatar
    The_Doctor is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,321

    Default

    If you're looking for insider information I doubt this is the place to have a rumor confirmed.

    IMO the 3D home market is slowly suffocating in the US. In the Movie theaters it is slightly better.

    I have a 3d plasma tv, incredible picture with movies done right. Problem is a lot of recent movies we had looked forward to seeing in 3D in our home are not making it to the home video market.
    The TV can convert 2d to 3d and sometime it looks good but the lack of content is disappointing.

    The Hobbit movies, Avatar, Pacific Rim, just to name a few off the top of my head, look incredible, and we want more but it seems like it is harder to find as time goes on.

    IMO it is because studios and the electronic manufactures are not in sync as they were in the format war. Also studios are not being paid/reimbursed to produce the content.
    I think both are looking to find a new standard to be the cash cow.

    3D makes a lot of money in the theaters, and makes sense to the studios there. at home video it cost more to manufacture but is in reality a slim fraction of video sales.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,085

    Default

    What about video games? Are companies still making games in 3D for the XBOX ONE and PS4? Gears of War 3 for the XBOX 360 was absolutely incredible in 3D.
    How am I not myself?

    Live everyday like it's the best day of your life.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,085

    Default

    Just looked on amazon.ca quickly and it seems like 3D movies on pre-order are still doing well. The new X-Men and Captain America 3D pre-orders are doing better than their 2D counter-parts.

    You just gotta give blu-ray 3D some time to grow. Myself, I was negative on the idea of 3D and thought it was just a stupid gimmick...until I finally witnessed the magnificence of it with my own eyes.
    Personally, I don't think 3D is going anywhere for a long time. You can get some really good 3D TVs for $1000 or less now. As the price keeps dropping, more people will buy.
    How am I not myself?

    Live everyday like it's the best day of your life.

  14. #14
    The_Doctor's Avatar
    The_Doctor is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
    What about video games? Are companies still making games in 3D for the XBOX ONE and PS4? Gears of War 3 for the XBOX 360 was absolutely incredible in 3D.
    I'm not sure about the games but the ps4 and xbox one should be adding 3d playback this month. So that adds to the number of 3d players out there.


    In my personal experience it seems the domestic 3d market has gotten worse since I got my 3d tv. I'd like 3d to become in demand enough so the 3d version is isncluded in the combo pack for every movie. BUt the actions of studios like Disney seem like they are not as eager to push the format.

  15. #15
    towergrove's Avatar
    towergrove is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    While 3D may not be as popular as the industry originally wanted it to be Almost all of Hollywood output that was intended to be in 3D is being released in 3D for the home (Either BD3D or UV) with only a small handful of exceptions. Also I believe most manufacturers continue to produce 3DTV and projectors for the home. In fact the only manufacturer that is shying away from 3D currently is Vizio. Also most Bluray players (the ones that you would want to pay any attention to that aren't rubbish) are 3D capable as well as all the current big video game players PS4 and Xbox1. So no I dont believe the sky is falling as some may suggest.
    Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1