Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is 3D dead yet?

Plissken99 is online now Member

My biggest gripe with 3D is the conversions. IMO if they don't film in 3D, don't bother. I've gotten to where I prefer the 2D versions of things which came out in 3D, namely the Marvel movies. I expect a little wow with 3D, not to forget I'm watching a 3D movie after 15 minutes.

3D done right is a sight to behold though, I wouldn't ever want to see Pacific Rim or Avatar in 2D(especially Avatar).

I would like more video games in 3D, I played a little Arkham City in 3D, it was a blast!
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

Yoda is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post

I would like more video games in 3D, I played a little Arkham City in 3D, it was a blast!
    I tried gaming in 3D but usually don't, looks like I'll give Arkham City a try
    55" LG LM6400 3D Smart TV
    3D player PS3/PS4/Xbox One
    Gamertag/PSN ID : Minute Man 721/Minute_Man_721
    Xbox 360 currently playing............
    Xbox One currently playing Quantum Break
    PS3 currently playing.........
    PS4 currently playing AC4 Black Flag

"Those that make up their mind before listening to the argument is a f#*king fool" - Chris Rock

Restore the Republic 1789 - 1913

malakai is offline Member

I think the only 3D games I've tried were Killzone 3 and Crysis 2. In Killzone, it was OK, but I found it (the 3D) a bit distracting online. In Crysis 2, the experience was pretty good. It's too bad there weren't a lot more 3D games released. The gamecube actually had a 3D chip in it, and a 3D monitor was planned for it but scrapped. Several games that were released were apparently 3D-compatible too, but no one knew it at the time, and it's likely no one would've been able to do anything with it either way. You can see some of the 3D stuff with the Dolphin emulator. I've not personally tried it myself, however. Youtube probably has some 3D gameplay though.

Vidfreek is offline Member

I love my 3DTV at home, I bought the Samsung PN60F5500 60-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma Smart TV and its been great, I have 6 pairs of 3D glasses that cost like $12 each, it is an active TV but its been great and my basement has almost no light so no issues with dimness down there. I can see, depending where your TV is at, that it could be an issue and why people want brighter TVs, but mine was only $1100 and I've added lots of 3D content after I got it and started getting the combo packs before I bought it as well.

I'm a big fan of properly done 3D and it is a shame that we've had too many Clash/Wrath of the Titan type movies/conversions that suck. But when something like Jurassic Park gets converted WAY later and its awesome to watch all over again in 3D, I love it and cant wait for others to see it. So it can be done and to great effect if done properly, another prime example is The Amazing Spiderman 2, great 3D in that one throughout the whole movie (as the review here talks about) and it was a conversion.

If I go see anything in the theater its usually in IMAX 3D, The Hobbit films in HFR 3D have been stunning and I wish more film makers would embrace 3D AND HFR because it works wonders together

aaronwt is offline Founding Member

I hope 3D isn't dead yet. I just picked up twelve 3D BD titles during the past week. 3D got me to re-embrace watching discs again over the last 21 months.

Ever since I picked up a Mitsubishi 82" DLP set on closeout at the end of 2012, I've been watching a bunch of 3D content. Although my Sammy 2008 LED DLP set was 3D capable, I never bothered to try out any 3D content until I got the Mitsubishi. WIth the BT active glasses I don't have to worry about line of sight. And it looks much better than Passive 3D from the LG LCD set I also own.

I've tried a couple of games in 3D. That is something I do not like. I will stick with movies. Whether they are converted or in native 3D it doesn't matter to me. AS long as I forget I am watching it in 3D, that is what I consider a good 3D movie. For instance Avatar and Gravity. Even the Marvel movies I enjoyed in 3D.
    = 649(64.0%)
    = 365 (36.0%)
    Last : UHD-Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    Last : P2: A New Level Of Terror
    Media Players: Sony UBP-X800, Roku Ultra, FMP-X10, VTEN, FireTV 4k, TiVo Bolt x2
    Gaming Systems: XBOne S x2, PS4 pro
    53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a

Richard--W is offline Member

Is 3D dead yet?

Every technical aspect at every level of the industry is into 3-D, tooling and re-tooling and upgrading for 3-D.

More and better 3-D is coming.

Eventually 3-D films, home video and television will be so common and so taken for granted it will no longer be singled out as something special.

But I do think audiences would like to see more live action and less CGI, more grown-up films and less kiddie stuff.
    "Passion rules the arrow that flies."
    Bob Dylan, 1986.

The_Doctor is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
    I love my 3DTV at home, I bought the Samsung PN60F5500 60-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma Smart TV and its been great, I have 6 pairs of 3D glasses that cost like $12 each, it is an active TV but its been great and my basement has almost no light so no issues with dimness down there. I can see, depending where your TV is at, that it could be an issue and why people want brighter TVs, but mine was only $1100 and I've added lots of 3D content after I got it and started getting the combo packs before I bought it as well.
    I believe the recent Panasonic 3d glasses will work with this model, they are a little better than factory Samsung glasses.
    Damn shame Panasonic and Samsung are not going to be making plasma TVs any more.

malakai is offline Member

We never really know how well mainstream 3D will do, both theatrically and in the home. I mean, 3D, as a technology, will always be here, and theatrical 3D has always come back, if we look at the past. We, however, do not have a viable past to look back on, when it comes to consumer 3D. All we had before was anaglyph and field sequential systems that didn't have much more than a few IMAX shorts. It's not like "oh boy, here's Gravity 2 hitting the market" and BAM, another million+ people go out and buy a new 3DTV. With Vizio giving up on the 3D market, we never know how the North American market is going to be in the coming years. It could come to a point where only the European market has it readily available, but little to no support in the US. Eight or ten years down the line, it may re-surge as a viable consumer technology. Then again, it may hang on, as long as a couple tv manufacturers keep supporting it, and not die down at all. Of course, you need content. Disney has all but forsaken the NA 3D market. The future looks grim, BUT don't count it out yet.

Conversions are a big issue for me. If you absolutely have no plans to film in 3D, then maybe a conversion is OK. However, filming in 2D, knowing it will be converted? I understand that with Gravity, the director didn't think 3D cameras would work in the tight spaces they were filming, and they did test conversions before committing to shooting it in 2D. That's OK, I suppose, but directors seem to be going the way of not even considering shooting in real 3D any more.

mohit9206 is offline Member

3D is not so popular in homes because 3d tv and 3d blu rays are expensive. If 3D DVDs were available it would be more popular. There was a 3D DVD movie my bloody Valentine 3d released in 2009 so i know DVDs can also do 3d movies but why were no other movies released in 3d dvd format? 3d dvds dont even require a 3dtv or 3d player rather the passive glasses are bundled with the movie dvd itself.

DVD cannot do active 3D actually. My Bloody Valentine on DVD is the old red/blue type 3D.

Agreed though, 3D releases need to start coming down in price.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

RobG is online now Member

It's not the price. People don't care about 3D. They don't want to wear glasses and for many people the 3D makes them feel ill. It's one thing to see it occasionally, at a theater. It's another thing to watch it all the time.

Once there is 3D without the need for glasses then it may take off. Not until then.
    Rob

Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba XA2
    OPPO UPD-203
    DVD - 489

More than that, I recently watched part of a 3D movie at a friends house on his 60in LED Samsung.. it just seemed pointless without a projection set up like mine lol.

moepain4u is offline Member

CES last two years had 3D without glasses it was nice but you had to stand at correct angle to view 3D. The best 3D at CES was the one where two people can watch two different shows on the same screen. The different 3D setups at CES is always the best. I have an LG 3D tv and love it, I turn on 3D for my Xbox One games even though it's not full 3D the games look better. Cox Contour has more 3D channels than Direct TV including HBO 3D. Just keep bringing the cost down and more people will buy.

Boston007 is online now Member

With or without glasses no one cares
    3d is a very niche market.
    Even if all televisions included 3D it would not be that popular.

bruceames is online now Member

I like watching the 50's 3D movies in 3D. Really adds a lot to the experience. Movies like Inferno, The Bubble, House of Wax, etc. Also movies like Frozen, Madagascar 3, Gravity, Tangled and T.S. Spivet are greatly enhanced by the 3D effect.

I agree though the glasses part is the stumbling block. Nobody in my household wants to wear them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast