Z0_RICK is offline Member

Default UHD 4K Upscaling

I am new here and i value your opinions.
    Can anyone tell me if they have any knowledge about upscaling from HD 1080I or P to 4K UHD? Also has anyone done the Blue Ray to 4K UHD upscaling ? Is it worth paying the extra money ?
    I am looking at a 55 in Samsung 4K UHD...vs a 60 in Samsung HDTV.
    My providers are DirecTV and Netflix.

Can not help with your upscaling question but I would make sure that any UHDTV that was purchased had HDMI Version 2.0

There are several Blu-ray players with that will scale their output to UHDTV. One would assume the new UHDTV sets will have a scaler.

ADWyatt is offline Member

Rick, I can't help you with your questions either, but I will say that you are very wise indeed to take the time to find out if upscaling will provide high enough quality to justify the cost of a 4k TV. From my limited experience, I would say right now that the answer might be "No", and here's why I think that way...

I've seen various 4K TV's at three different stores in my area, and of course they look great with 4k demo material piped into them, but I noticed something rather curious. When I asked sales people at each of these three stores if they could hook up their TV to a Blu-ray player and display the picture from a pristine disc, they all had a reason that they couldn't do it. I'll admit that it might very well have been because it would have meant an enormous amount of trouble to go through for someone who probably wasn't going to buy anyway, but I couldn't help getting the feeling that they were afraid of letting the customer see something that might have been a disappointment.

But I might be very wrong indeed about that. The sales manager at my local Best Buy has stated that by tomorrow he will have a 65" Samsung 4k set seated right beside his best Samsung 65" 1080p model, and will feed the same Blu-ray disc to both TV's simultaneously. Considering that the 4k set costs $3,500 USD, I just wonder if he would do that if he felt the 4k TV wasn't going to measure up. Does he know something that gives him a lot of confidence in 4k upscaling? Quite possibly, and he may be running the comparison test to show prospective customers that buying into 4k, just for upscaling, is worth an early purchase before 4k content becomes available.

Tomorrow I'll run down to Best Buy, and if the display is set up I'll give you my impressions. However, my opinions will be entirely subjective. I cannot caution you strongly enough that it could be a very big mistake on your part to pay big money for any high-tech equipment based solely on the advice of others. But then, I would imagine you probably already know that.

malakai is offline Member

The general consensus is that upscaling an image to a a higher resolution with a video processor can be better than most internal scalers built into televisions, but it's still nowhere near as good as running content in a television's native resolution. I actually use a Kramer VP-418XL scaler, to upscale laserdiscs to 1080p. I've also used an HD Yamaha home theater receiver in the past that would upscale everything to HD through HDMI.

In my experiences, when you are playing content that has the best video quality, the quality is amplified while being scaled, but when you have something that isn't great quality, the bad aspects of the video are amplified, making it worse.

To me, 4k is still too new, and unless or until a good optical 4k media format comes to be, it's not worth messing with at all. Who really knows if you're going to get HDMI 2.0 or any other type of new a/v port(s) that new technologies may use in a couple of years, if you buy one today? Too many people have been burned with only DVI or Component inputs during the HD transition. Many of those TVs only had NTSC/Analog tuners, but even now, ATSC and QAM digital tuners and broadcasting is in jeopardy of becoming obsolete, as they use mpeg-2 compression, and cell phone companies want to take more radio frequencies from our TVs and give us mpeg-4 or some new type of compression so that more channels can be multicast into each frequency.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by malakai View Post
    The general consensus is that upscaling an image to a a higher resolution with a video processor can be better than most internal scalers built into televisions, but it's still nowhere near as good as running content in a television's native resolution.
    Depends on the quality of the tv, but as a general rule, very true. Your average Joe six-pack is going to buy a 52 inch tv for $450 and not even realize that one that costs $1200 costs that for a reason, QUALITY.

With my higher end Samsung tv, I have tried pre-processing dvds and the compression artifacts and noise look like ass, but using the component in without upscaling looks fantastic as the tv does the processing instead. Hell, most dvds done this way, unless you had a side by side A:B comparison you'd almost swear you were watching a blu ray.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"