Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    h0mi is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
    So all the new consoles will have BD drives and use BD media for games? I think that is a big win for the format. I am not sure how it will help home video specifically, but it will definitely result in a lot of revenue for BD patent holders and BD replication lines. Overall I think it is good for the format and I like the idea of the Xbox One being a media hub. The DVR, BD, streaming, functionality combined with the Kinect seems like a winner.

Man the HD DVD drive for the Xbox seems so long ago.. Well, I guess it was
    It was 6 years ago this month that I bought the HD DVD drive from Circuit City, and 6 years ago July when I picked up a ps3. Incredible to me how much things have changed.

bruceames is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by h0mi View Post
    It was 6 years ago this month that I bought the HD DVD drive from Circuit City, and 6 years ago July when I picked up a ps3. Incredible to me how much things have changed.
    Quality-wise though things are about the same. The main difference now is that everyone has a 1080p HDTV whereas back then most people only had a 720p TV. Average display size is bigger as well. And of course, much more content is available.

But yeah amazing that 6 years has passed. Doesn't seem that long to me.

Nettacki is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
    EA has come out and stated that they are not developing games for the platform anymore.
    Actually, they seemed to have backed down from that claim. It turns out that they are in fact developing games for the Wii U. Just not as much as in other consoles. Whether this is damage control for the negative reception of the Xbox One reveal or something else entirely is another story.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/435...ng-wii-u-games

malakai is offline Member

Microsoft Tax on used game sales

Microsoft and 'game studios' will now reportedly tax used game sales, up to 10%. Also, only retailers will be able to sell used games. Have a neighbor, friend, or ebay account and want to trade or sell the games? You may be SOL.

fitprod is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by malakai View Post
    Microsoft Tax on used game sales

Microsoft and 'game studios' will now reportedly tax used game sales, up to 10%. Also, only retailers will be able to sell used games. Have a neighbor, friend, or ebay account and want to trade or sell the games? You may be SOL.
    Yeah... This will work well. Stumble #1 for the revolutionary machine. I don't buy used games, but I know a lot of people who do, and this will be a disaster, that will eventually hurt sales up front. They'll turn day one game buyers into someone like me... I don't buy games until I can get them for $30 or less.

fitprod

bruceames is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
    Yeah... This will work well. Stumble #1 for the revolutionary machine. I don't buy used games, but I know a lot of people who do, and this will be a disaster, that will eventually hurt sales up front. They'll turn day one game buyers into someone like me... I don't buy games until I can get them for $30 or less.

fitprod
    If these rumors are true (24 hour checks on your machine, profiteering on used games) then count me out on the Xbone. I agree this will probably do more harm than good, in fact I know it will. So much ill will be created and they'll lose a chunk of their user base, as well as incurring weaker day one sales since fewer people will be able buy $60 games as keepers (knowing that it'll be next to impossible to sell them at a worthwhile price). So you'll have more people (what is left of their fan base anyway) like yourself holding out for the price drop to make it worth their while. Sounds like a lose lose to me. Everybody loses. People buy fewer games, Sony reclaims their dominance, and developers make less money because their are fewer sales.

The only good thing in the short term, is that they will probably overestimate day one sales so the price drops will come sooner to clear excess stock.

malakai is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by fitprod View Post

fitprod
    I don't pay full MSRP price for many games either but don't really buy a lot of used ones for new consoles either. The way I see this going is that you'll eventually be able to buy a brand new copy of the game cheaper than you could buy it used.

Also with the way they're handling activating and checking games, what happens when the 8-year average lifetime for a gaming console has ended and the servers get shut down? Neither new or used games could be activated, leaving you with a pile of worthless junk that you have thousands of dollars in. Collector's value? What's that, buy a game, take out the plush or plastic toy and throw away the game disc? This way, the Xbox One is obsolete before it ever hits store shelves. Maybe someone could install linux on it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123