Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    bruceames is online now Member

Stamped disc is cheapest this point in time, but a lot can happen in a few years. People always tend to underestimate future technology. Stamped disc will still be cheaper, but maybe not by so much where the cost difference will still outweigh the limitations of the media. 4K will be niche anyway and if the prices are high enough to justify low sales than saving a couple of bucks on media won't matter that much anyway as margins per unit sold will still be high on more capable media.

fitprod is offline Member

Bruce - You hit it on the head, there's no way Microsoft makes more money as a media hub without two key changes...

1. Quit beating around the bush and effing buy Netflix already. When Reed Hastings left the investment board, everyone knew that was the intention. He can't be on it for legal/conflict of interest issues. I don't care what Ted Sarandos keeps ranting about "Netflix is fine, don't worry about our spending." (Paraphrasing of course) - You can't lay out $10s of billions of dollars, increasing every year, with slowing growth, it can't sustain itself, especially since they don't have a ton of excess cash on hand.

2. They need an alliance with either a cable or satellite company and make the Xbox One a hub for them, much like the agreements that Tivo entered over the years to keep their company alive. (Obviously Microsoft isn't in the same boat, but screw up another OS, and stumble in the gaming arena and where do you go?)

fitprod

Nettacki is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
    That and the fact that Microsoft stated that yesterday's event was not going to focus on games since that was the focus of the E3 event for the platform.

I am quite sure Microsoft is still serious about gaming. The Wii U is not looking very good right now, and game developers will flock to the Ps4 and Xbox One.
    It's a GAMES console first and foremost. If they were going to focus on the games later on, then why didn't they just wait until E3 to reveal everything all at once? That way, complaints about Microsoft turning their backs on core gamers would go down somewhat while still providing ample focus on everything the box has to offer.

Also, the Wii U isn't doing so hot because of games and games alone. It's highly likely that big selling games will be announced at E3 and may have a good chance of getting the Wii U out of the rut it's in.

ack_bak is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nettacki View Post
    It's a GAMES console first and foremost. If they were going to focus on the games later on, then why didn't they just wait until E3 to reveal everything all at once? That way, complaints about Microsoft turning their backs on core gamers would go down somewhat while still providing ample focus on everything the box has to offer.
    Because they are hyping their console just like Sony did. I have no problem with MS doing what they did yesterday. It has a buzz and people are talking. E3, will be about the games.

It may or may not be a games console first and foremost anymore. We will see.

Also, the Wii U isn't doing so hot because of games and games alone. It's highly likely that big selling games will be announced at E3 and may have a good chance of getting the Wii U out of the rut it's in.
    Honestly, Nintendo should just become a software company and make games for tablets, smartphones, Xbox, and PS. Their games are so good, they would make far more money if they focused on their games and got out of the hardware business.

My kids would love the Nintendo games on their iPads. Software is where the money is to be made, not hardware.

Nettacki is offline Member

Because they are hyping their console just like Sony did. I have no problem with MS doing what they did yesterday. It has a buzz and people are talking. E3, will be about the games.

Don't you think the hyping up of their console would be a bit more effective if they actually showed more games than just COD, Madden, Forza and Quantum Break? At least show it on equal footing relative to the media hub type features? Or hell, even show it first before covering the media hub stuff?

Let me guess, you don't play games that much/at all, so whatever my concerns are don't really match up to your's, which is why you were more satisfied with the conference than I was, right? (This isn't an insult or anything, just wondering.)

Boston007 is online now Member

My kids would love the Nintendo games on their iPads. Software is where the money is to be made, not hardware.
    I had to LOL:

Quote Originally Posted by Nettacki View Post
    Don't you think the hyping up of their console would be a bit more effective if they actually showed more games than just COD, Madden, Forza and Quantum Break? At least show it on equal footing relative to the media hub type features? Or hell, even show it first before covering the media hub stuff?

Let me guess, you don't play games that much/at all, so whatever my concerns are don't really match up to your's, which is why you were more satisfied with the conference than I was, right? (This isn't an insult or anything, just wondering.)
    Yeah, I am no longer a hardcore gamer. Three kids and a busy job will do that

But keep in mind, this conference this past week was never supposed to be about the games. As I mentioned earlier Microsoft wants E3 to be all about that. Now you can disagree with their approach of waiting till E3, and I don't necessarily disagree with you, but nobody shold be surprised about this week.

The more things change the more they remain the same. Many thought space travel to other planetary bodies would be common by now, everyone would be connected by fiber, etc., etc.

Here we are in 2013 and the most common mode of transportation is still done using technology invented in the 1800's, the reciprocating gasoline engine; air travel using propellers or jet engines based on technologies dating back to the 1700's.

A Intel Core i7-3770S Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz still cost hundreds of dollars and clock speed has advanced very little in the last 8-10 years. My Pentium 4 from 2004 is 3.0GHz. Our 8086 from the 80's was 4.7MHz so the clock speed has advanced many times over but it has reached its practical limits.

I find it funny that folks think streaming is recent and cool. We were streaming our main program channel to the internet back in the 1990's, streaming to the internet preceded the DVD by several years.

Back to topic: I never had a desire for a game console but may have a close look at the X One to see how well it serves as a general purpose media player.

I hate my Comcast HD DVR so much (Motorolla) that I am hoping the MS DVR meets my needs or I am going to have to buy a Tivo...

Silver_Cat is offline Member

No optical output for Xbox 1? I must to buy a hdmi Theater to have 5.1?
    Bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Cat View Post
    No optical output for Xbox 1? I must to buy a hdmi Theater to have 5.1?
    Bastards!
    Something like this should work:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

chipvideo is offline Member

Honestly, Nintendo should just become a software company and make games for tablets, smartphones, Xbox, and PS. Their games are so good, they would make far more money if they focused on their games and got out of the hardware business.

Wii made a killing on the hardware side for profits. Nintendo took cheap tech and sold at a huge profit.

Since your talking about Nintendo in this argument your absolutely wrong on the hardware not making money. The wii made tremendous profit out of the gate on the hardware side. You have zero wiggle room as a rebuttal.

Boston007 is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
    Wii made a killing on the hardware side for profits. Nintendo took cheap tech and sold at a huge profit.

Since your talking about Nintendo in this argument your absolutely wrong on the hardware not making money. The wii made tremendous profit out of the gate on the hardware side. You have zero wiggle room as a rebuttal.
    Let me add, LOL:

Quote Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post

So how is the Wii U doing? It is getting beat every month by last generation consoles from MS, Sony, and even the original Wii is outselling it most months. Ouch. EA has come out and stated that they are not developing games for the platform anymore and Activision has been quiet as to whether or not Call of Duty Ghosts will be released on the platform.

There is far more money in software than hardware. Having worked for multiple billion dollar software/hardware companies I can tell you software is everything. It is where almost all the profit is made. Look at the moves IBM and HP have made in recent years. There are always exceptions to the rule (Apple), but I standby my point that Nintendo would be worth far more right now if they released their games across all the platforms and just focused only on software.

Nintendo's stock has been in a freefall for five years straight now. In those 5 years they have released several new hardware platforms.. How is that working out for them again?

Not hard to imagine their stock being up 500% of more if they would release their games across all platforms. Face it, Nintendo's strength is their gaming franchises. Third party software support has always sucked for Nintendo, and without Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc they would be sunk....

bruceames is online now Member

I think Microsoft is making some Netflix-like missteps here. They were doing fine with the 360, launching it a year earlier than the PS3 and for $100-$200 less and having it be 90% a gaming device. Now they want to make it be an all-in-one device and make the initial annoucement focus on the non-gaming aspect, all the while leaving to fester some horrible rumors about mandatory internet or 24 hour check ins, no used games, no backwards compatibility. Doesn't sound very consumer friendly. They are apparently dissing off a big chunk of the world market. Sounds like overconfidence, sounds like Sony with the PS3. The way it seems now, the Sony will reclaim the #1 position in the console from MS making the same mistakes that Sony made with the PS3.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds, but I certainly won't be buying a gaming device that forces me to "check in" to play a single player game that I already own. That's like asking permission to play one of the Blu-rays on my shelf. It's none of their F-ing business what I choose to do in an offline environment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast