View Poll Results: What will Bluray's sell through growth be for 2013?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 15% or more! Bluray is going to take off and have a second wind!

2 9.52%
  • 10% to 14%

4 19.05%
  • 5% to 9% about the same as 2012

4 19.05%
  • 1% to 4%

9 42.86%
  • Flat. No growth.

0 0%
  • Negative. Bluray will make less in 2013 than in 2012

2 9.52%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    The Limey is offline Member

A very healthy growth indeed for here in the UK:

Another format growing in demand is Blu-Ray. Official Charts Company’s weekly survey shows that Blu-Ray revenues overall are up 31.7% year-on-year and now represent 17.4% of total video revenue, up from 13.2% this time in 2012. There are several other indicators that Blu-Ray will finally become a significant format in the market. Blu-Ray player household penetration is now more than 20% and is forecast to double in the next 5 years with the launch of new devices with in-built Blu-Ray players, such as Microsoft’s recently launched Xbox One.
    The genre sales highlight that Blu-Ray is going from niche to mainstream. Sci-fi and Action blockbusters sales still make up a significant amount of the market share - 40.8% and 30.5% respectively but TV and family releases are now growing. For example, 30% of the sales of Game of Thrones: Second Series were on Blu-Ray and 27% of the total volume of Disney’s Jungle Book’s re-issued Diamond Edition sold was on Blu-Ray.
    http://advertising.microsoft.com/en-...s-need-to-know
    TV - LG 65G6v OLED
    Panasonic UB900 UHD, Pioneer BDP-LX88 (Region B), and Oppo BDP-95 (multi-region)
    Onkyo DV-HD805, Toshiba XE1
    Receiver - Pioneer SC-LX90/SC-09TX Susano
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Surround - 3 x B&W DM-601 S3
    Centre - JBL EC35
    Floorstanding - 2 x JBL ES100

Quote Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
    But not streaming. I don't see how you could say that.
    Remember the large growth numbers that the press used to post about Netflix streaming subs ever so often? It appears they have slowed significantly and there is very little press about it anymore.

BTW, as I have stated before, we were streaming our main TV program (SD) channel to the internet in the late 90's. Streaming video to the internet (1994) preceded DVD (1997) by 3 years. We put our first ATSC HD transmitter on the air in November 1998.

At last count I had 11 devices connected to the LAN that could stream from our Netflix, VUDU and Amazon accounts (not all are registered).

All old hat now and I hope 4K becomes the new rage. Hopefully, one hurdle has been cleared for UHD Blu-ray with the formation of a MPEG-LA for H.265. IF we should get the FMP-X1 and/or Nuvola NP-1 then our streaming/downloading devices will increase.

genesim is offline Member

I hope for the day that we have a more open processor where the player isn't particular to a "redbook" bluray. That way, no matter the upgrade, it will still play on the current machine. This will future proof it and have the better competition factor.

Sony at one point has stated that they have the capability of going to a terrabyte disc. This leads to all kinds of great scenarios. People are dreaming if they think streaming can compete with that kind of local storage. The future of physical formats is releasing in bulk, not just making more and more resolution.

There are so many great analog shows not released in a viable form. This needs to be explored. It is obvious that there are so many that don't care about quality. For me, I want high def film prints, but for classic 70's shows where they were video taped, I don't see that as a needed option.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112