Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vinnie97 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
    The thing is... Toshiba; and Microsoft, for it's own reasons (steaming and the thought of a VC1 standard for it); were the only manufacturing companies that were not on board with Blu-ray at the launch, even though they had the option to unify the formats the previous fall before all hell broke loose.

Sony has learned over the years about trying to completely go on their own, mainly from the VHS/Beta war. They also saw their multiple attempts to launch new audio formats go up in smoke more than one... Mini-disc and SACD (another failed format war on both sides.)

Toshiba probably has learned from it's mistakes, especially after having to finish paying off whatever contracts were signed with Paramount and Universal for their exclusivity. But I don't even know if Toshiba gives a crap about the CE market anymore. They only have about 13 TV models (2 3D), 1 BD player and 3 DVD player. (For crying out loud one of the DVD players is a VHS combo unit... I know people have VHS but is there really a market for it?)

fitprod
    You forgot their laptops in the CE realm. I'm typing on one now (Qosmio). Pretty impressive lineup they've garnered.

fitprod is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
    You forgot their laptops in the CE realm. I'm typing on one now (Qosmio). Pretty impressive lineup they've garnered.
    Well, I sort of mean that, I guess I never really think of computers as CE. I guess I sort of define it as home theater equipment. I should have been a little more specific.

I understand that perspective. Still, back to the topic somewhat, I also understand Toshiba's reluctance to concede after the cash cow that DVD was for them. Divvying up those profits to a larger consortium of organizations (as in the BDA) was probably something they were trying to avoid (they overestimated the effect of short-term payoffs). Stupid? Maybe. Greedy? Yes, just like many other for profits (Sony being no exception). I can't imagine them repeating it again given the diminishing returns delivered by optical media.

silverado is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
    I understand that perspective. Still, back to the topic somewhat, I also understand Toshiba's reluctance to concede after the cash cow that DVD was for them. Divvying up those profits to a larger consortium of organizations (as in the BDA) was probably something they were trying to avoid (they overestimated the effect of short-term payoffs). Stupid? Maybe. Greedy? Yes, just like many other for profits (Sony being no exception). I can't imagine them repeating it again given the diminishing returns delivered by optical media.
    So, Toshiba may have made a stupid move protecting the royalties from DVD, but Sony is smart trying to take the royalties away? Sony failed to grab the lions share of royalties and Toshiba did not. I don't think Toshiba would sit on their ass and let someone else take the royalties away, there would be a fight and Toshiba would probably win again.

Sony had a larger consortium, so in this case they were less stupid than Tosh. I'm sure both would look relatively "stupid" based on their corresponding balance sheets showing expenditures versus income related to high-def optical media. No need to give me the third degree on Sony defense...I barely tolerate them as a corporate entity.

Quote Originally Posted by silverado View Post
    Sony failed to grab the lions share of royalties and Toshiba did not.
    Toshiba did/does(?) chair the DVD group but the patents (royalties) are controlled by 3C Patent Group (Philips, Sony, and Pioneer) and DVD6CLA (which Toshiba is a part of). The physical DVD (and many other parts) as we know it, came from the 3C group, remember, it is just a modified CD. Same with Blu-ray, Sony is just one of many patent holders in One-Blue. IMO, Blu-ray is more of a Panasonic baby than that of Sony’s.

The reason I think many folks associate Sony with Blu-ray is because in the 1998 time frame Sony went to the DVD board with a proposal to develop a standard for a HD disc format. The board dismissed/rejected the proposal so Sony struck out on their own.

Tokyo Japan, February 19, 2002: Nine leading companies today announced that they have jointly established the basic specifications for a next generation large capacity optical disc video recording format called “Blu–ray Disc”.

HD Goofnut is offline Member

Ah, the memories. *sigh*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12