View Poll Results: Would you like to see smackdown closed, archived, and dedicated to Kosty?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

51 77.27%
  • No

14 21.21%
  • No Comment

1 1.52%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Sbert is offline Member

Default Suggestion to close smackdown and archive it with reference to Kosty (in memory of).

Since smackdown has bascially grinded down to a halt without kosty, I would like to encourage the administrators to leave close/archive at the bottom of the main page with reference to Kosty as a dedication.

Thanks.
    Cheers to the ever positive Kosty, may you find peace and happiness in the heavens above.
    Kosty's Obituary
    Kosty's Guestbook
    Kosty's HiDefForum Memorial Thread
    Hidefdigest Zyber Blog

h0mi is offline Member

I'm ok with this. I think it would be a good homage to the man.

RM
    RM is offline Member

I think it's a good idea. All debates and arguments that can be made about HDM have been made a billion times here and argued to death. There is little more we can learn from each other unless a new media format is developed.

RIP Kosty.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design Define R4, i5 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Favelle is online now Member

I agree, good idea. Format war is long over.
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

Quote Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
    I would like to encourage the administrators to leave close/archive at the bottom of the main page with reference to Kosty as a dedication.
    IMO, Kosty was one of a kind, he is missed!!

SRW1000 is offline Member

While this part of the forum has become very quiet, I kind of think Kosty wouldn't have wanted it closed and dedicated to him

Arguably, he had been the most prolific poster in this particular section, and his presence is definitely missed. A couple of months ago, I had meant to start a post here, asking about the state of Blu-ray: Lots of $5 deals at Target, Walmart, and Best Buy; BDs showing up at Dollar Tree and Big Lots, and super-cheap box sets. I held off posting, since Kosty hadn't been active, and there just don't seem to be that many insiders posting or active in the forums.

Sadly, I just found out about his passing this past week.

I never had the chance to meet him, and can't pretend to have known him, but his posts and PMs seemed to be much less about him than they were about his love for HD. He didn't strike me as the sort of individual that would want part of the forum to be closed and archived in his honor.

That said, I don't see anyone else picking up his mantle and reinvigorating this area.

Scott

Badger3920 is online now Member

I agree. This site hasnt really wanted to close smackdown because it makes its money off of traffic, and smackdown was one of the initial reasons this site was actually worth any money because it drew a ton of traffic. However, for quite some time, this site has needed a reason to close hd smackdown. The hd smackdown forum died itself, without any sort of graceful sendoff. So, now, this seems like as good a reason as any (and a graceful excuse) to close the area and dedicate to someone who really enjoyed it.

It is long past time, and kosty is more than deserving given all the effort he put into that section.
    Home Theater: Panasonic PT-ae4000u, 110" Carada Brilliant White Screen, PS4
    Gaming PC: Intel i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Godstar is offline Member

Won't it pick up again once the new consoles come up? Maybe make a short term forum for it once that happens if this one is closed?
    The nerd is a tirelessly predictable creature whom the promise of boobies is like a bacon sandwich to a starving wolf. - Yahtzee
    List of My Games!
    Audio:
    Denon AVR4311CI+SVS 1646 PC Plus Subwoofer+Paradigm Monitor 9V5 x 2+
    Paradim CC-390+Paradigm ADP-370 x 2
    Video:Panasonic PT-AE2000U Projector
    Consoles:Wii+WiiU+Gamecube+PS3+360+DSi XLS & Lite+PSP*2+Dreamcast+Saturn+SNES+Genesis
    PSN/WiiU:Godstar/XBL:G0DSTAR --> with a zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
    Won't it pick up again once the new consoles come up? Maybe make a short term forum for it once that happens if this one is closed?
    This just for the format smackdown not console smackdown. Unless the new console is using HD DVD?!
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

MrAngles is offline Member

Holy crap, I had no idea... I don't know if smackdown should be closed or not, it's likely that there will eventually be something to talk about again, but it should definitely be dedicated to kosty. The man represented the best of what the smackdown section could be.
    RIP Kosty you are missed.

silverado is offline Member

Dedicate this subforum to Kosty? Definitely. I think he would have been uncomfortable with that, but circumstances would dictate that we need some sort of memorial dedicated to him, and he would understand.
    I know he would not be ok with closing the site down. Even if there is no debate right now, there will be in the future, and at the very least, an exchange of ideas and information, which might not be accepted elsewhere.
    If this site closed down because of little traffic and no revenue, then that is a different story. Once again, I know that Dan would not have wanted to be the reason for Smackdown closing, his magnitude of posts in Smackdown clearly shows his passion and knowledge and that needs to be continued in his memory.

ack_bak is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
    Since smackdown has bascially grinded down to a halt without kosty, I would like to encourage the administrators to leave close/archive at the bottom of the main page with reference to Kosty as a dedication.

Thanks.
    Here here!!! RIP Kosty...

chipvideo is offline Member

How about after the New Year. This is about when Blu-ray will hit its peak in sales revenue for its entire life. We need to bash Blu-ray one more time. LOL.

project-blu is offline Former Member
    I'm not here. I'm elsewhere. Don't celebrate, I'm not dead yet.

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon on the subject of this thread, but did find a message on HDF from his sister that was shared:

Originally Posted by Message from Daria, Kosty's sister
    Dear High Def Forum,

Thank you all your prayers and condolences for my brother Dan, who you knew as “Kosty”. He was certainly one of a kind! As many of you have stated, he was a very private person, and he was very adept at compartmentalizing his different parts of his life. My family had no idea of his online life.

Because many of you asked, I wanted to share what happened. In early August, he entered the hospital where he was diagnosed with lymphoma. Soon afterwards, he was placed on a ventilator, and then his course was complicated by a major stroke. This all happened very suddenly and fast.

Thank you again with all of the kind words you wrote on this thread, and on his online obituary guest book.

Sincerely, Kosty’s sister
    Ran into posts of his anticipating making graphs for the upcoming Friends release off a google search where I was researching the Friends HD Broadcasts for some reason (ahem). Kinda sad, that. But when BD botches (ahem NOTLD90), this is a great area to call out studios for their failures. I'd love to see a subforum dedicated to Kosty, dude was a class act.
    Tumbleweeds.

Tumbleweeds everywhere.

Badger3920 is online now Member

The poll results in this thread speak overwhelmingly as to the general opinion held by the users of this subforum. Also, the considerably SMALL number of votes in the only active thread in this subforum (only 30 votes in over a week) seem to show that this area of the forum is relatively unused anyway
    Home Theater: Panasonic PT-ae4000u, 110" Carada Brilliant White Screen, PS4
    Gaming PC: Intel i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast