View Poll Results: Would you like to see smackdown closed, archived, and dedicated to Kosty?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    51 77.27%
  • No

    14 21.21%
  • No Comment

    1 1.52%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 65
  1. #31
    vikingfan's Avatar
    vikingfan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
    ...It was truly disgusting, and HDF was even worse. Kosty was openly being attacked and some very nasty things were said about him from the same vindictive cast of characters that attacked him here...
    Yep, there was definitely one MALcontent that seemed to relish doing it.
    Toshiba 57HM167 PS3 80GB 106 BD's 4 games

  2. #32
    Sbert's Avatar
    Sbert is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    Kosty was a big BLu-ray supporter, but his real passion was tracking the home entertainment high def media arena. His interest in HD DVD and then BLu-ray simply spurred that on. Kosty was really a big fan of seeing a healthy HE market and watching it evolve and grow.

    Again, it seems to be the "it's only about Blu-ray" mentality here and "smackdown should be closed because blu-ray won and it has no remaining competion". When Blu-ray won, Kosty from the beginning starting tracking BLu-ray's progress against DVD. Maybe because of the lack of progress it's making like watch grass grow that makes it so uninteresting for you now, that a dedicated forum for discussing HD media in general and it's future should be closed down.
    I see where you're coming from. Mine is purely utilitarian and to honor Kosty. There is little to no activity in smackdown. That activity that we do have can just be posted to a more active subforum instead of this one.

    It is lack of progress of anything really, blu-ray, streaming, new formats in general (3D etc), like I said -> there's nothing happening. Blu-ray is locked in.

    Finally and most importantly, it would be nice to put a reference to Kosty with a link to a page that best represents him. If there was some facebook page or twitter feed about him, etc...
    Cheers to the ever positive Kosty, may you find peace and happiness in the heavens above.
    Kosty's Obituary
    Kosty's Guestbook
    Kosty's HiDefForum Memorial Thread
    Hidefdigest Zyber Blog

  3. #33
    cakefoo's Avatar
    cakefoo is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Smackdown became popular because every single bit of news from 2006-2007 potentially could have affected the outcome of the format war.

    Nowadays Redbox, Netflix, DVD, Blu-ray etc all co-exist pretty peacefully. I mean, I guess in 5 years we could revisit this forum...

  4. #34
    Malanthius's Avatar
    Malanthius is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
    Great so kindly give me the revenue numbers for Blu-Ray vs the other hd mediums? How much money did HD VOD bring in last year? HD EST? HD streaming? HD disc rentals?

    Face it, the fight is gone. That is why Smackdown has been vacant. We were left with a handful of people making the same arguments over and over again... Pretty much the definition of insanity right here by the same people. I got caught up in it, so I understand. It is pointless banter and most of the arguments were already made and there is not much more to add.

    The bottomline is that better picture and audio quality was never going to be enough to replace standard definition at lower prices whether it comes in a red case, a blue case, is streamed over the internet, played back via cable/sat, or downloaded to a thumb drive. Why do you think Comcast, DirecTV, Dish, etc still offer the vast majority of their channels in SD still? Because they know that while some people care about quality, most people don't if it means paying more money.
    Yet here you are still going at it. You are always good for a laugh Ack.
    Roku2, Roku3, Samsung 1600, Insignia BR W/Netflix!
    = 70

  5. #35
    Malanthius's Avatar
    Malanthius is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
    All you have to do is look at posting history. To say that the format war did not carryover would be ignorant. It has been the Hatfields and McCoy's all over again. People arguring with each other mainly due to which hidef disc format they preferred, and once the format war ended, those very same people kept right on arguing. It became childish and petty. And the same arguments were rehashed and recycled over and over. Which is why there is little activity here anymore. Aside from sales data there is not much else to really discuss and I think people just tired of the same boring arguments from the same tired people. So yeah, the definition of insanity was pretty much alive and well here and at highdefforum where it seems most people have left as well. If you cannot see this, then I don't know what to tell you.

    If you think there are lots of worthy debates left then keep opening threads and posting and maybe some folks will argue with you and you can keep up the good fight.
    That's a lot of rambling on. The argument as to which format was better ended long ago. And i think most reasonable people would agree that both formats provided the same visual and audio experience. Sales were the main focus for most of the debate here. And stop talking like you were some outside observer! You were one of the most active paticipants here! Look at your post count before you look in the mirror Ack. Then try to come back to reality.
    Roku2, Roku3, Samsung 1600, Insignia BR W/Netflix!
    = 70

  6. #36
    Malanthius's Avatar
    Malanthius is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vikingfan View Post
    Yep, there was definitely one MALcontent that seemed to relish doing it.
    Kind of the way that you seem to relish attacking anyone that isn't 100% a Bluray fanboy? You mean like that?
    Roku2, Roku3, Samsung 1600, Insignia BR W/Netflix!
    = 70

  7. #37
    Malanthius's Avatar
    Malanthius is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Von View Post
    I agree with you, it always seemed that way here to me and it's something I've tried to highlight in the past, as someone who wasn't so embroiled. Far too often it became more about shouting the other person down or slinging mud than any reasoned discussion, and to be honest this forum courted that by the confrontational nature of its title and looser rules.

    While some of the events here were pretty shameful, I think the lowest point came when we knew something had happened to Kosty, just prior to finding out he'd passed away. What I'd rather naively thought of as "banter" was shown to be something much nastier from one or two people, though the concern, respect and sadness shown by other "sparring partners" of his was genuinely touching.

    HDF's HD forum is almost as quiet as here, there's just a handful of regulars left and Bruce's sterling work on the stats does generate some discussion. There's still a bit of "Oh if only so-and-so were here!" type stuff that shows the old prejudices linger, but there's a less confrontational atmosphere, so you do get a trickle of new people without those old biases. It's not exactly thriving, but better than nothing.

    Maybe this forum could be rebranded rather than closed, take away the confrontational "Smackdown" element and make it more like the other forums? I still doubt it'll see much action though, like you say all the real activity came from the neverending tit-for-tat and a few die-hards can't provide that kind of car-crash draw.

    Ray Von
    Ray show me where people attacked Kosty after finding out something happened to him. I'd love to give them a piece of my mind.
    Roku2, Roku3, Samsung 1600, Insignia BR W/Netflix!
    = 70

  8. #38
    Malanthius's Avatar
    Malanthius is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    Oh please stop with the melodrama. I'm not going to discuss HDF anymore than just to say that Kosty was attacked here much more than at HDF, and that Kosty privately had high praise for my mod work. Kosty also seems to be much more remembered there than here, even though he posted here much more. It was mostly playful banter and Kosty enjoyed it. Anyway, it's all in the past now. I've said my piece regarding the topic of the thread.
    These guys are drama queens and opportunists . Using Kosty's passing to try and bring up old grudge matches. They are the lowest of the low.
    Roku2, Roku3, Samsung 1600, Insignia BR W/Netflix!
    = 70

  9. #39
    Badger3920's Avatar
    Badger3920 is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    23,449

    Default

    Not to pick sides, but I'd note that this bickering and spat of personal insults after the thread largely stopped movement on December 3rd is unnecessary and a disgrace to the cause everyone is trying to co-champion.
    Home Theater: Panasonic PT-ae4000u, 110" Carada Brilliant White Screen, PS4
    Gaming PC: Intel i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

  10. #40
    Ray Von's Avatar
    Ray Von is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
    Ray show me where people attacked Kosty after finding out something happened to him. I'd love to give them a piece of my mind.
    Ooh, no, afterwards I thought the genuine sense of loss from almost everyone was quite touching.

    People say things they don't mean, get too involved, and it's not until something like that happens that they realise what arseholes they've been to each other. It's kind of worse with a forum, because we probably treat people more harshly than "real life", and the evidence remains. That really hit home in the stuff that happened afterwards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
    These guys are drama queens and opportunists . Using Kosty's passing to try and bring up old grudge matches. They are the lowest of the low.
    Mate, if that's referring to me, my consience is clear, so you can shove that right up your arse. Sideways if it'll go

    Ray Von

  11. #41
    vikingfan's Avatar
    vikingfan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
    These guys are drama queens and opportunists . Using Kosty's passing to try and bring up old grudge matches. They are the lowest of the low.

    Actually I would say people who said things like this, when evryone was worried about Kosty's lack of posting are the lowest oif the low.

    http://www.highdefforum.com/1278872-post3761.html

    Even if he came back today we will never really know. He could say he was just busy. But really? Too busy to check in to one site that you devoted your life to for years? I don't buy that. I would think it would be very unlikely he is sick. Because he did say he wouldn't be posting for awhile because of work and because there was nothing much to talk about during this time of the year. Well, no good Bluray news that's for sure. But that's all he really wanted to talk about anyway. I think his gig ended and that was his exit post. He was very private so he could reappear at a later date as someone else with a new agenda. Oh well. At least I know the guy doing the charts now is pretty neutral. And reports the news very neutral! Thanks Bruce!
    http://www.highdefforum.com/1279856-post3811.html

    That's crazy! Even in my most pessimistic dreams did I think INdy would have done that poorly. Hopefully the price will drop and ill pick it up. Wow, I wonder what the guys are thinking that said this would be another big Bluray seller? Kosty ain't coming back. This is too much for even him to spin!
    http://www.highdefforum.com/1280712-post3854.html

    That's crazy to think about. But hey! Catalog is doing fine! That's it then. Catalog is over really. That was the last big release and it was pretty much a bust. No wonder Kosty skip town!
    http://www.highdefforum.com/1280875-post3880.html

    It sounds like you are saying he has reached out to you privately? Maybe a PM? So he isn't sick! Guess that means our other guesses are true. Oh well as long as he is ok I guess. I would have just preferred he bow out with some honor that's all. Admit he was overzealous and wrong and some of us were right.
    http://www.highdefforum.com/1280907-post3884.html

    IMO he is posting under various aliases in different forums, shilling the next tech-du-jour. Let's hope it is something that is actually going to take off. It must have been depressing for him to keep up the relentlessly optimistic facade (in 50,000 posts) in the face of increasingly overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
    http://www.highdefforum.com/1281140-post3896.html

    Ray you just made my case for me! You gave yourself the answers you need to see our point. Kosty did post at just about every site out there. And he posted endless charts. That's the difference between him and the "anti Bluray shills". I can't find any that did that. You act like this kind of a grass roots promotion effort doesn't or is impossible to exist. That's such a crazy statement, I think you are not being honest and will do anything you can to defend him. The only reason I can think of as to why you would do this is to protect Bluray.

    And why would someone say "I won't be posting for awhile because of work. Plus there's not much to talk about right now". Why not just say you are bored with it all or you are sick of it? My gut tells me he either lost his gig to do what he was doing or he was a super fanboy who realized how wrong he was and didn't have the honor to just admit it and continue to discussion with everyone here. That just tells me he had one goal. To promote Bluray at any cost.

    You would think after spouting all this bile, that after learning the TRUTH about Kosty, someone people would have had the decency to go back and edit or delete these posts.
    Last edited by vikingfan; 01-17-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    Toshiba 57HM167 PS3 80GB 106 BD's 4 games

  12. #42
    Ray Von's Avatar
    Ray Von is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vikingfan View Post
    Actually I would say people who said things like this, when evryone was worried about Kosty's lack of posting are the lowest oif the low.
    Bit harsh there Viking. I know what my opinion of it was at the time, but most of those posters did the right thing in the end, and I think it's clear that there's a fair bit of remorse about what went on in the "heat of battle". Something we can all learn from I reckon.

    Ray Von

  13. #43
    vikingfan's Avatar
    vikingfan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Von View Post
    Bit harsh there Viking. I know what my opinion of it was at the time, but most of those posters did the right thing in the end, and I think it's clear that there's a fair bit of remorse about what went on in the "heat of battle". Something we can all learn from I reckon.

    Ray Von
    If there was remorse, then they would have gone back and editted or deleted posts like these, IMO.
    Toshiba 57HM167 PS3 80GB 106 BD's 4 games

  14. #44
    ack_bak's Avatar
    ack_bak is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Von View Post
    Bit harsh there Viking. I know what my opinion of it was at the time, but most of those posters did the right thing in the end, and I think it's clear that there's a fair bit of remorse about what went on in the "heat of battle". Something we can all learn from I reckon.

    Ray Von
    I agree Ray about remorse (although one of the leaders of the gang did not seem to offer any remorse from his unkind words about Kosty), but the fact of the matter was that most people suspected that something was really wrong with Kosty before his death came to light and that did not stop a few low lifes from attacking him. IMHO, they probably should have withheld their malicious "throries" as to why Kosty stopped posting and taken the high road.

    But I am not surprised. The concept of the high road was never something a couple of these sore losers were ever good at comprehending.

  15. #45
    ack_bak's Avatar
    ack_bak is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vikingfan View Post
    If there was remorse, then they would have gone back and editted or deleted posts like these, IMO.
    And to my point they should have just shut their mouths about their hurtful conspiracy theories when we all knew that something bad most likely had happened to Kosty. Especially factoring in that he had been quite sick before.

    At any rate, true colors were shown and it is just even more reason to ignore the garbage that some of these folks spew out of their mouths.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1