jcc
    jcc is offline Member

Default What happened to CBHD?

After some hype in 2008-2009 about China's alternative HD format based on HD-DVD technology (but using only Chinese-owned CODECs and DRM, to save them licensing fees) See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_B...efinition_Disc

It looks like the format is basically dead (as predicted). A search on Amazon.cn for 中国蓝光高清光盘 yields exactly 1 title, the Beijing Olympics. Searching only 中国蓝光 shows mostly Blu-ray titles, and Blu-ray players. No CBHD players.

I had not heard any reports about the format being officially canceled, could it be that there was so little interest in the format that even its death was not newsworthy?
    Vizio M3D460SR 3D LED
    PS3 slim 320GB, Samsung BDP-1600, Onkyo TX-NR609
    70+ (7 are 3D)
    Netflix streaming (now in 3D), Amazon Prime

BD-live-- Disney: HDDjcc WB: jcc Uni: jcc1960

I don't think it is dead, it is just a tiny market, I jumped around various sites a few months ago to read about it. If you lived in China, I think you can find the product but selection is pathetic and sales are minuscule. If it is declining, then surely it will soon be dead since it never amounted to anything in the first place. I thought it was stupid idea to start with and knew we would never hear anything about it. Does anybody recall HD VMD? Stupid ideas should go where that one went.

h0mi is offline Member

HD VMD was probably vapourware... I don't think any hardware ever shipped at all.

CaW
    CaW is offline Member

I still remember the die-hards redants envisioning a world where they could import CBHD discs just to avoid the evil BD empire... too comical.

Lee Stewart is offline Formerly "HDTV Addict"

What happened to CBHD?

The same thing that happened to DVD and BD. China is the land of the bootleg movie. The Chinese wouldn't think about buying movies at retail.

The_Doctor is offline Member

They still have about the same stuff on Amazon China. Maybe a new title or two.

For anything to compete with bootlegs it has to be almost given away. Also because the income for most people is far below what most of consider poverty.

I'm not sure if CBHD is dead yet or not (or if they'd tell us). Whatever happens I think the Chinese will encourage bootlegs to avoid the DVD royalty mistake as they see it (on blu, cbhd, dvd, digital rips, whatever).

One or two mentions in Chinese new searches, not worth much. I'd be surprised if anything happens with this format.

zaza is offline Member

Yes, I remember it.

I also remember it was a pathetic idea.

Am not surprised it vanished into thin air.

Right after the Warner announcement of Blu only support the Red crowd started pronouncing the great HD offerings from other sources like CBHD, super duper upscaling DVD players and MOD Systems. All seems to have not went anywhere.

its completely dead i think no response or updates at all anywhere to be seen