h0mi is offline Member

Default Apple TV stats- Installed base of 6.8 million HDTVs

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ady_hdtvs.html

Apple has now sold 6.8 million Apple TV units since switching over to an iOS-based, $99 model. In contrast with similar offerings, Google TV sales have been estimated to have flopped at the 0.5 to 1 million mark after a bold debut last year didn't materialize in sales. Roku has reported sales of about 2.5 million of its low priced, Netflix-oriented TV boxes.

towergrove is offline Member

This is great news for Apple. I enjoy Plex on AppleTV.
    Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

h0mi is offline Member

What made you decide to take the plunge and buy one? I've hesitated getting one... I had little use/need for it but there are these 2 TV shows I watch and there's no blu-ray in sight and in 6 (combined) seasons worth of episodes, there's only 1 full season available. I won't be cord cutting, but admittedly if I go this route, it would discourage me from bothering to upgrade my Tivo HD to a newer model. When my tivo bites the dust, no idea what I'll do then.

towergrove is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by h0mi View Post
    What made you decide to take the plunge and buy one? I've hesitated getting one... I had little use/need for it but there are these 2 TV shows I watch and there's no blu-ray in sight and in 6 (combined) seasons worth of episodes, there's only 1 full season available. I won't be cord cutting, but admittedly if I go this route, it would discourage me from bothering to upgrade my Tivo HD to a newer model. When my tivo bites the dust, no idea what I'll do then.
    We have a small bar TV that I wanted to play my iTunes music and Home network movies on so I installed purchase an Apple TV and installed Plex. I use HTPC boxes in the rest of the house though as they are the Swiss army knife of our home network.
    Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

Lone_Gunmen is offline Member

The Apple TV is great if you can't be assed setting up a HTPC or some kind of media server (running Plex or XMBC), especially if you have all of your music on iTunes. Bought my mom an Apple TV a year ago (lives in the outback with a great internet connection but no video stores) and she rents everything through it.

I'm getting a spare one to add to my Plex set up.