Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sbert is offline Member

Default 3-D? Smee-D, looks like it was a fad...this time around...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/13/tech/g...ted/index.html

(CNN) -- The evidence that people are getting tired of 3-D continues to pile up.
    The latest bad news comes from Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, who in an interview with The Independent admitted that interest in 3-D is "perhaps slightly on the wane again."

Although Nintendo will continue to offer 3-D in its handheld gaming devices, it won't be a major selling point, says Iwata:
    "So, now we've created the 3DS and 3DS XL and also have some games out there that are really using that 3-D effect that we can see, from my point of view, that it's an important element. But as human beings are this kind of surprise effect wears off quickly, and just [having] this 3-D stereoscopic effect isn't going to keep people excited."
    Iwata's view that 3-D is "slightly on the wane" seems like an understatement. You needn't look far for other signs that 3-D is failing.
    Consider the box office. Although studios released 19 more 3-D movies in 2011 than the year before, 3-D box office revenue fell by 18% in the U.S., or about $400 million, according to the Motion Picture Association of America.
    Last month, 3-D attendance hit a record low for the opening weekend of Pixar's "Brave," with just 32% of revenues coming from 3-D, says the Hollywood Reporter. While "The Avengers" fared better, with a little more than half of sales coming from 3-D tickets, it's not even close to the 83% 3-D revenue that "Avatar" enjoyed in December 2009. The days where you absolutely had to see a hit movie in 3-D are over.
    The 3-D TV situation isn't much better. Sales of 3-D televisions are on the rise in the U.S. according to The NPD Group, but only 14% of consumers who might buy a TV in the next six months say 3-D is a "must-have" feature.
    Most people just think of it as future-proofing — something that might be nice to have. Even Samsung, the world's largest TV maker, admits that 3-D TV hasn't lived up to the hype, and the company is now exalting web-connected smart TVs as its next big source of growth.
    It's easy to guess why 3-D is struggling in movies and television sets: People don't want to be burdened with 3-D glasses, or worry about eye strain, and pay a premium for the privilege.
    But Nintendo's cooling attitude toward glasses-free 3-D signals a deeper problem: Even once you remove the pesky glasses, the novelty of 3-D wears off. That's a pretty staggering admission from a company that put the term "3D" in the name of its handheld.
    At least with 3-D hype deflated, media and tech companies can focus on more important things. Samsung can put more effort into smart TV. Nintendo can work on adding more features and new entertainment apps to the 3DS. I know this is a stretch, but maybe Hollywood can stop putting out so many bad movies.
    Those all seem like better alternatives than fooling your eyes into seeing another dimension.
    This article originally appeared on Time.com: The 3-D hype bubble Is now completely busted
    Cheers to the ever positive Kosty, may you find peace and happiness in the heavens above.
    Kosty's Obituary
    Kosty's Guestbook
    Kosty's HiDefForum Memorial Thread
    Hidefdigest Zyber Blog

tiberius is offline Member

I think that using Avatar as a yardstick is a poor choice as Avatar was a huge financial success, regardless of 3D. I don't think Avatar is very representative of how well 3D movies sell generally.

towergrove is offline Member

I think 3D is here to stay. Fortunately if you like it, it will be available- if you dont, you have the 2D option. Giving consumers choice is a wonderful thing!

Im looking forward to Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dial M for Murder and just announced at comic con and will be coming soon House of Wax to Blu Ray.
    Last edited by towergrove; 07-17-2012 at 09:48 PM.
    Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

cakefoo is offline Member

3D is seasonal. Same summer dip happened last year.

The theory is that with so many big releases people have to sacrifice 3D sometimes.

h0mi is offline Member

Using avatar as a yardstick for 3D viewing is like using Avatar as a yardstick for movie watching. Much is going to pale in comparison, and it's just an unrealistic, unfair one.

That said, the studios should be concerned about declining 3D ratios but 1 of the proposals I remember hearing about earlier this year was to eliminate the $3 or so premium for 3D and just price all movies more expensively. I guess if your goal is to encourage 3D watching, without regard for other impacts, that's a good idea perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by h0mi View Post
    Using avatar as a yardstick for 3D viewing is like using Avatar as a yardstick for movie watching. Much is going to pale in comparison, and it's just an unrealistic, unfair one.

That said, the studios should be concerned about declining 3D ratios but 1 of the proposals I remember hearing about earlier this year was to eliminate the $3 or so premium for 3D and just price all movies more expensively. I guess if your goal is to encourage 3D watching, without regard for other impacts, that's a good idea perhaps.
    Extra cost is a major hurdle. Lowering prices would probably help like you suggest.
    Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

h0mi is offline Member

Grrr my post got iped out.

As I was saying, I thought the studios were going to pressure theater owners (or theater owners were doing this on their own?) to raise the price of non 3D tickets so that there's no more premium for 3D. Not exactly the sort of thing I'd support. It would probably stop people from avoiding 3D for being more expensive but they'd turn around and avoid the movie altogether. $14+ for a movie ticket vs $11?

shesha is offline Member

Tron Legacy was and will be my last 3D movie ever. I loved it for Avatar, it has been stupid in every other form I saw it in.

No thank you.

i007spectre is offline Member

I will almost always choose the 3D version of a blu-ray over the regular. Just to have the option of watching it both ways. My next purchase is Avengers 3D, already preordered.

3D is not going away anytime soon, much to the chagrin of the "haters"... Threads like this should really be deleted right away by a mod, as the ONLY reason to start this kind of thread is to antagonize those with an opposite view and see how vicious the posts will get arguing back and forth...

That being said, I upgraded to a 3D projector in my theater exactly 6 months ago, and since then I have purchased a total of 64 3D blu-rays and only 8 2D movies...
    FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now featuring projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

Quote Originally Posted by FreyTheater3D View Post
    3D is not going away anytime soon, much to the chagrin of the "haters"... Threads like this should really be deleted right away by a mod, as the ONLY reason to start this kind of thread is to antagonize those with an opposite view and see how vicious the posts will get arguing back and forth...

That being said, I upgraded to a 3D projector in my theater exactly 6 months ago, and since then I have purchased a total of 64 3D blu-rays and only 8 2D movies...
    Avatar announced today for wide BD3D release! Woo, hoo! Cannot wait.

Quote Originally Posted by towergrove View Post
    Avatar announced today for wide BD3D release! Woo, hoo! Cannot wait.
    Unfortunately, it's only the 162 minute Theatrical version, same as the Panasonic exclusive 3D version (which I already have), and not the 178 minute Extended Edition.
    FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now featuring projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

Plissken99 is offline Member

I would like to see more 3D concerts. I bought the Joe Satriani - Satchurated Blu Ray the other day on a whim, I hadn't heard about it, and didn't realize it was in 3D until the menu came up when I went to play it(the 3D is marked subtly on the back lol). At 1st I was annoyed, but I started watching and really enjoyed the experience, especially when the camera moved through the audience with a view of the stage, really had the feeling of "being there".

I think 3D has room to grow, there are more applications than movies for it.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

OneManShow is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by FreyTheater3D View Post
    Well, this is smackdown afterall.

I think more people would be interested in 3D if it was well done most of the time. Unfortunately on most movies, it feels wasted. When I upgraded my HDTV this year, I purchased a Panny Plasma that has 3D. I tried a few 3D movies and so far, the ONLY 3D movie that's been impressive visually is Avatar and I don't even like the movie, so I haven't used the 3D feature since the first month I owned the TV and don't plan to anytime soon. I might try The Avengers in 3D, but again, it's a conversion so it'll probably be mediocre 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by OneManShow View Post
    Well, this is smackdown afterall.

I think more people would be interested in 3D if it was well done most of the time. Unfortunately on most movies, it feels wasted. When I upgraded my HDTV this year, I purchased a Panny Plasma that has 3D. I tried a few 3D movies and so far, the ONLY 3D movie that's been impressive visually is Avatar and I don't even like the movie, so I haven't used the 3D feature since the first month I owned the TV and don't plan to anytime soon. I might try The Avengers in 3D, but again, it's a conversion so it'll probably be mediocre 3D.
    Unfortunately even without 3D most movies produced today seem wasted. A horrible film in 3D is lipstick on a pig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast