Default Mill Creek Entertainment Licenses 250 SPHE Titles for U.S. Distribution

Mill Creek Entertainment, a leading home entertainment distribution company has just inked a home video distribution deal with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) covering US and Canadian territories. Under the licensing agreement Mill Creek Entertainment will distribute 250 films from the legendary SPHE catalog via a wide variety of DVD and Blu-ray compilations and collections to Mill Creek’s extensive network of traditional and non-traditional retail partners. Mill Creek will distribute classics such as Ship of Fools, Bonjour Tristesse, The Last Detail, Avalon, The Chase and Agnes of God and audience favorites such as Hollywood Homicide, Hostel, All the Pretty Horses, Saving Silverman, Hollow Man and Vertical Limit.

“This treasure trove of SPHE films represents a watershed enhancement of our growing filmed entertainment catalog,” said Ian Warfield, President and COO of Mill Creek. “We are excited to work with the Sony Pictures Home Entertainment team to deliver this amazing line-up of star-filled titles for the enjoyment of an even broader audience of consumers.”

Many films included in this distribution deal will be made available in Blu-ray high definition format for the first time ever. Multi-feature standard definition DVD collections are also part of the strategic release plan to bring this vast assortment of classic and contemporary films to market. The first wave of releases can be expected Fall 2012 while the specific lineup of initial releases will be announced at a later date.

fbm2000 is offline Member

Great more films on Blu-Ray that are not in their correct original aspect ratio. Don't get it. What a shame. Pass.

Kosty is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by fbm2000 View Post
    Great more films on Blu-Ray that are not in their correct original aspect ratio. Don't get it. What a shame. Pass.
    Where did you get the information that these titles would not be released OAR on Blu-ray?
    "A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

follow me on Twitter

timbobarry is offline Member

In for Saving Silverman but not expecting much since it's Mill Creek handling the release.
    Collection (231)
    Collection (1237)
    DVD Collection
    Players: LG BH200, Sony BDP-S790, Panasonic DMP-BDT100
    Display: Panasonic VIERA TC-P54VT25
    Audio: Pioneer VSX-1120-K receiver, Polk DSW Pro 600 sub

cupboy is online now Member

Maybe they could get a similar arrangement with Paramount. Probably the only way Looking For Mr. Goodbar will ever come out on Blu-ray. Hasn't even come out on DVD yet.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Now that the story is 'official' all I can say is that on one hand I must applaud these third part companies for filling the gap of unreleased catalog titles, but yet on the other hand, these companies don't have the budget to produce a knock-your-socks-off release. I guess if there's a choice of sticking with the dvd version of something or getting a blu ray version with a slightly improved PQ, I'd opt for the Blu so long as it is priced right.
    Unfortunately we have seen this too many times, the Blu version loses all the extra features the dvd had, thus making you want to keep BOTH.
    Last edited by Krawk; 05-01-2012 at 08:13 AM.

fitprod is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
    Maybe they could get a similar arrangement with Paramount. Probably the only way Looking For Mr. Goodbar will ever come out on Blu-ray. Hasn't even come out on DVD yet.
    They'd probably have to pay more, I'm sure Sony's deal includes a C&A and Replication deal for all of Mill Creek's work. Just like the Image Entertainment deal.

I do believe that over the next five years, most Blu-rays will start being distributed by 3rd party though. Much like the LD industry. (Ironically, the only studio that did not go this way was Sony, who had LD replication.)

fitprod

thaggas is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    ...thus making you want to keep BOTH.
    I bought a set of double blu-ray cases. So when this comes up, I just drop the DVD in with the blu-ray. It's a great way to keep both discs, without giving up any shelf space.

Hans Gruber is offline Member

I can't wait for saving Silverman ! Such a classic and I've been bitching about it and how it wil probably never be released for years now so I will take a mill creek release all day ! I'm just praying that they release the rated R version cause the pg13 isn't as funny without the tits and fucks day one absofuckinglutley

Hans Gruber is offline Member

Saw saving Silverman is in hd on Netflix andbt looks decent but...it's the crappy pg13 version which is not nearly as funny and cuts out hella scenes. I will pissed and will not buy the blu ray unless it's the rated R version on Saving Silverman ! Please mill creek don't drop the ball on this one .

Philnerd is offline Member

I guess this move isn't surprising considering that Sony couldn't even be bothered to release As Good as it Gets on their own.