Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast
    Kosty is offline Member

Projections: 'Wrath' of the 'Jump'

9 Jul, 2012
    By: John Latchem

Due to a low-profile slate of new releases July 3, earlier releases are likely to remain atop the sales charts. That means 21 Jump Street and Wrath of the Titans are poised to repeat atop the overall disc and Blu-ray Disc sales charts respectively.

On the rental chart, 21 Jump Street looks to repeat in the top spot, while Universal's Safe House and Fox's Act of Valor come off their 28-day embargoes and should move into a high chart position.

Rank Title Studio Weeks on Chart

Projected Top 3 Sellers for Week Ending 7/8/2012

1 21 Jump Street Sony Pictures 2
    2 Wrath of the Titans Warner 2
    3 Mirror Mirror Fox 2

Projected Top 3 Rentals for Week Ending 7/8/2012
    1 21 Jump Street Sony Pictures 2
    2 Safe House Universal 5
    3 Act of Valor Fox 5
    http://www.homemediamagazine.com/res...ath-jump-27740
    "A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

follow me on Twitter

Sbert is offline Member

I didn't expect to hit 30% number until this Q4. Perhaps we are in the "accelerated phase" of adopting (lol)...as blunted as it could be.
    Cheers to the ever positive Kosty, may you find peace and happiness in the heavens above.
    Kosty's Obituary
    Kosty's Guestbook
    Kosty's HiDefForum Memorial Thread
    Hidefdigest Zyber Blog

Kosty is offline Member

Last edited by Kosty; 07-11-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    "A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Note that last week the cumulative TBO for the 2Q 2012 vs 2Q 2011 comparison was almost -12% down YoY which matched well with Blu-ray only being up +2.8% in revenues YoY for the 2Q.

Because of the large new release box office advantage for week 26 in favor of 2Q 2012 in just one week that TBO comparison dropped 11% from -11.98 to only -7.00% 2Q YoY TBO.

There was in other words extreme volatility in the cumulative 2Q TBO measurement in just a single week.

One significant reason that this year's TBO disparity for the last week did not result in that much of a year over gain from last year is that last year's TBO numbers did not account for the home video sales strength of the leading Blu-ray title for the week The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Extended Edition Blu-ray set which since it was not a new theatrical release counts as zero in the cumulative TBO statistics.

Also noted is the the 2Q TBO figures from last year do not account for the significant first two weeks of April 2011 sales from Tangled since it was released on March 29, 2012 (its counted as 1Q 2011 TBO) but added substantial sales in 2Q 2012.

Also noted is that the week 26 2Q 2011 TBO figures also include only the first week sales of Wrath of the Titans and 21 Jump Street as they are included in this year's 2Q TBO figures but in a similar fashion to Tangled from last year their contributory sales from second and third week and beyond sales will be accounted for in the 3Q 2012 period even though all of their TBO is accounted for in their release week which falls in 2Q 2012.

Such is the case in quarterly comparisons when strong releases occur near the boundaries of the periods.

This week through week 26:

Last week through week 25:

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

HMM Nielsen Videoscan First Alert Sales Report Week Ending 07/08/12

'Street,' 'Wrath,' 'Sherlock' Remain Top Chart Titles
    11 Jul, 2012
    By: Thomas K. Arnold

21 Jump Street

With no hot new home video releases arriving in stores due to the midweek Fourth of July holiday, the home video sales charts for the week ended July 8 are dominated by repeaters.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment’s 21 Jump Street and Warner’s Wrath of the Titans again were No. 1 and No. 2 on the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert chart, which tracks overall disc sales. Both titles debuted in those same spots a week before.

Another Warner title, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, is No. 3 its fourth week in stores, up from No. 4 the prior week. The sequel swapped spots with 20th Century Fox’s Mirror Mirror, which debuted at No. 3 the previous week and is now No. 4.

Rounding out the First Alert top 5 is Warner’s Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, which shot back up to No. 5 its fifth week in stores after dropping to No. 11 the previous week.

On Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart, A Game of Shadows is back at No. 1 from No. 4 the prior week, with 50% of its total unit sales coming from the high-def version.

Wrath of the Titans slipped to No. 2 from No. 1 its debut week, while 21 Jump Street and Mirror Mirror each fell back a spot, to No. 3 and No. 4.

The No. 5 spot went to Warner’s The Dark Knight, as anticipation for the theatrical release of volume three in the “Batman” reboot builds.

On Home Media Magazine’s weekly rental chart, 21 Jump Street remained at No. 1, with the second and third chart positions going to a pair of Universal Studios releases that have just ended their rental embargoes, Safe House and Big Miracle. Twentieth Century Fox’s Act of Valor, also off its rental holdback, moved up to No. 4.

Related Links :
    Top 20 Sellers for the Week Ended 07/08/12

Top 20 Rentals for the Week Ended 07/08/12

Top 20 Selling Blu-ray Discs for the Week Ended 07/08/12

Top 20 Blu-ray Market Share for the Week Ended 07/08/12
    http://www.homemediamagazine.com/res...t-titles-27774

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

HMM Nielsen Videoscan First Alert Sales Report Week Ending 07/08/12

Last edited by Kosty; 07-18-2012 at 02:37 PM.

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Blu-ray Sales: Wrath of the Blu-rays

Wrath of the Titans led a trio of new releases on top of the Blu-ray sales chart. It sold 800,000 units and generated $18.37 million in revenue, giving the film an opening week Blu-ray share of 55%. A visually-intensive action movie opening with a Blu-ray share above 50% is no longer a noteworthy event.

21 Jump Street placed second with 615,000 units / $11.68 million. Its opening week Blu-ray share was 41%, which is a little lower than expected. I guess it was wiser to judge the film as a comedy rather than an action film. Mirror Mirror only sold 365,000 units with revenue of $7.44 million.

With an opening week Blu-ray share of 35%, it is clear the film connected with families more than adults. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows fell from first to fourth with 189,000 units / $4.72 million over the week for a total of 2.10 million units / $49.51 million. It is still quite rare for a film to sell 2 million Blu-rays.

The Artist placed fifth with 142,000 units / $2.83 million. Its opening week Blu-ray share of 38% is very strong for a drama, but I'm still a little disappointed overall. It was the big winner at this year's Oscars and that should have boosted its sales more.

There were no other new releases in the top ten, but A Thousand Words placed 21st with 28,000 units / $557,000. Its opening week Blu-ray share was just 22%, which is disappointing, even for a comedy and even for a box office flop.

The overall Blu-ray market was strong no matter how you look at it. It grew 88% in terms of units and 65% in terms of revenue when compared to last week. Compared to last year, there were 215% more units sold, but the revenue only grew by 78%. (Last year the Lord of the Rings Box Set was released, which throws off the numbers.)

DVD sales were almost as strong in most cases, stronger in one. DVD growth was practically the same compared to last week, but revenue growth was larger than Blu-ray growth compared to last year. This meant the overall Blu-ray share fell in terms of revenue to 47% from 55% last year. Meanwhile, the unit share was up to 42%, which is higher than last week and last year.

Next week, well, I'm not looking forward to next week. According to Amazon.com, the best-selling new Blu-ray for the week is Barbarella, which is a cult film, nothing more. If it sells more than 100,000 units, I will be shocked. There is some good news, on the other hand, as last year's new releases were just as bad. 13 Assassins was the best-selling new release on DVD and Blu-ray. Sucker Punch led the way on DVD with less than 85,000 units, while Lord of the Rings Box Set continued to lead the way on Blu-ray with 79,000 units. We should beat that, thanks to the holdovers.

- C.S.Strowbridge

Date posted: 2012-07-10

Movies
    Wrath of the Titans
    21 Jump Street
    Mirror Mirror
    Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
    The Artist
    A Thousand Words
    http://www.the-numbers.com/interacti...hp?newsID=7409

DVD Sales: 21 Leaps to the Top

New releases dominated the DVD sales chart with four of them placing in the top five. Things were led by 21 Jump Street, which sold 869,000 units while generating $14.77 million in opening week sales. This is a fine start, but given its theatrical run, it isn't a great start. On the other hand, it didn't need a great start to break even.

Mirror Mirror placed second with 678,000 units / $10.51 million, which is better than its theatrical run. It did struggle theatrically, so this isn't saying too much.

Wrath of the Titans was right behind with 664,000 units / $9.93 million. At least it did better on Blu-ray, but more on that tomorrow.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows fell to fourth place with 238,000 units / $3.56 million for the week and 1.99 million units / $29.83 million after two. That's very good, given the current state of DVD sales.

Rounding the top five was The Artist with 231,000 units / $3.92 million. This is great compared to the average limited release, but not good for the Best Picture winner at the Oscars.

A Thousand Words missed the top five landing in eighth place with 99,000 units / $1.48 million. This is a disaster for a first-run release. The final new release to chart was Damages: Season Four, which placed 13th with 79,000 units / $2.38 million.

- C.S.Strowbridge

Date posted: 2012-07-09

Movies
    21 Jump Street
    Mirror Mirror
    Wrath of the Titans
    Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
    The Artist
    A Thousand Words
    http://www.the-numbers.com/interacti...hp?newsID=7408

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Merchandising Week Ending 07/15/12

Batman Promotions Rise

10 Jul, 2012

In the lead-up to the theatrical debut of Christopher Nolan’s third and final Batman film, The Dark Knight Rises, in theaters July 20, Batman merchandise has been dominating retailers.

Best Buy, which had been offering steelbook Blu-rays of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, each with an UltraViolet copy and a $5 coupon to see the new film, has elaborate displays of Batman DVDs and Blu-rays, from the Tim Burton movies to recent animated efforts such as “The Brave and the Bold.”

Target has been offering exclusive Blu-ray/DVD combos of Begins and Dark Knight, also with UltraViolet copies.

Walmart offered Begins and Knight with UV for $5 on DVD and $9.96 on Blu-ray, as well as compilations of Batman animated TV shows and movies.

Otherwise, retailers devoted the week after July 4 to clearing out more inventory. Best Buy offered a “Summer Steals” sale of CDs and DVDs at $4.99 each. Target offered a buy-two-get-one-free promotion on select DVDs and Blu-rays for $9.99 each.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/age...romotions-rise
    Last edited by Kosty; 07-18-2012 at 07:57 PM.

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Projections: A 'Reunion' on The Sales Charts

16 Jul, 2012

Coming off a July 4 holiday week with no major new releases, July 10 offers a title movie fans shouldn’t have a problem recognizing: American Reunion. The Universal Studios film scored only a modest $56.8 million at the domestic box office, but the lack of any major new competition should help Reunion top the sales charts.

Due to embargoes, the rental chart will continue to be dominated by older titles, most likely holdovers such as Sony’s 21 Jump Street and Universal’s Safe House and Big Miracle.

Rank Title Studio Weeks on Chart

Projected Top 3 Sellers for Week Ending 7/15/2012

1 American Reunion Universal New
    2 21 Jump Street Sony Pictures 3
    3 Wrath of the Titans Warner 3

Projected Top 3 Rentals for Week Ending 7/15/2012
    1 21 Jump Street Sony Pictures 3
    2 Safe House Universal 6
    3 Big Miracle Universal 4
    http://www.homemediamagazine.com/res...s-charts-27784
    Last edited by Kosty; 07-18-2012 at 07:57 PM.

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Narrative not available yet.

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

HMM Nielsen Videoscan First Alert Sales Report Week Ending 07/15/12

Buyers Eat Up More 'Pie'

18 Jul, 2012
    By: Thomas K. Arnold

'American Reunion'

Universal Studios Home Entertainment’s American Reunion topped the national home video sales charts the week ended July 15 as the industry continued to suffer through a dearth of high-profile new theatrical product.

The latest installment in the “American Pie” franchise grossed $56.7 million in theaters and follows a string of direct-to-video sequels to 1999’s original American Pie.

On the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert chart, which tracks overall disc sales, the raunchy comedy knocked Sony Pictures’ 21 Jump Street out of the No. 1 spot it had held for the last two weeks. According to Nielsen data, consumers bought nearly three times as many copies of American Reunion its first week in stores as they did of 21 Jump Street during the same time frame.

Similarly, American Reunion bumped Warner’s Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows to No. 2 on Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart. Blu-ray consumers only bought 30% as many copies of Sherlock Holmes during the week as they did of American Reunion.

American Reunion is the only new movie release to make the First Alert top 20. Only two other new releases made the chart, both of them TV DVD sets. Season one of “Adventure Time,” from Warner, debuted at No. 11, while Universal Studios’ third-season set of “Warehouse 13” bowed at No. 16.

Meanwhile, anticipation for the theatrical debut of the third and final installment in the “Batman” reboot prompted the two earlier releases to shoot up the sales charts. Batman Begins was the week’s No. 6 seller, while The Dark Knight was close behind at No. 7.

In rental stores, 21 Jump Street remained at No. 1 for the third consecutive week, with Universal Studios’ Safe House repeating at No. 2. Warner’s Wrath of the Titans, now off its rental holdback, jumped from No. 15 the previous week to No. 4, behind 20th Century Fox’s Act of Valor.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/ind...more-pie-27838

follow me on Twitter

chipvideo is offline Member

Anyone know what is going on with Kosty? He hasn't logged into any of the sites in over a month. Kind of worried about him.

towergrove is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
    Anyone know what is going on with Kosty? He hasn't logged into any of the sites in over a month. Kind of worried about him.
    Me too Chip. He is usually busy around CEDIA but I'm worried that he won't be back.
    Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

ack_bak is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
    It can't be good. He has had some health issues in the past. I truly hope he is okay, but I have a bad feeling....

Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast