Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    cakefoo is offline Member

Real Deals for ‘Real Steel’
    So close! Should have been Real Steals on Real Steel.

Kosty is offline Member

Results for 01/21/12 repeated below

Spoiler:
    Week Ending 01/21/12

Sales Report Chart and Tables:
    http://www.homemediamagazine.com/mar...k-ended-012112

Last edited by Kosty; 01-31-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    "A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Home Media Magazine has a new feature on their website.

If you click on the weekly pie chart graphic you now get this detailed sales report which includes the revenue graphic, the box office strength of the weekly new releases, the unit sales for Blu-ray and DVD and the average price comparisons from this week to last years matching week.

HMM is now posting up the unit numbers each week.

If you click on the pie chart on the HMM website you get a detailed sales report chart that also includes the unit sales figures.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/mar...k-ended-011412

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/mar...k-ended-010712
    Last edited by Kosty; 01-31-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    "A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Week Ending 01/07/12

Sales Report:

Last edited by Kosty; 01-31-2012 at 10:29 PM.

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Week Ending 01/14/12

Sales Report:

Last edited by Kosty; 01-31-2012 at 10:29 PM.

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Week Ending 01/21/12

Sales Report Chart and Tables:

Last edited by Kosty; 01-31-2012 at 10:30 PM.

follow me on Twitter

Malanthius is offline Member

So much for that box office conspiracy. 1/21 inches up to 8% with a box office increase of +79%. Yet the previous weeks were close at 5 and 7 percent when they both had negitive TBO numbers. That plus 79% made very little difference. Cockamamy theory debunked.
    Roku2, Roku3, Samsung 1600, Insignia BR W/Netflix!
    = 70

Kosty is offline Member

Its interesting that the Blu-ray YoY percentage unit gains each week this year so far are substantially higher than the Blu-ray YoY revenue gains.

The lower Blu-ray unit prices are moving more units but generating less in revenue gains.

Code:
    Week    BD Units  BD Rev    TBO

01/07/12  +17.5%  +7.0%  -13.9% TBO
    01/14/12  +13.5%  +5.6%  -20.6% TBO
    01/21/12  +21.6%  +8.9%  +79.4% TBO
    The Average Cost per Blu-ray Units has been significantly down each of the three weeks this year.

Code:
    Week   Average BD Unit

01/07/12  -09.4%    (was $21.51 now $19.49 down -9.4%)	
    01/14/12  -06.8%    (was $20.30 now $18.92 down -6.8%) 
    01/21/12  -10.4%    (was $20.60 was $18.46 down-10.4%)
    That lowering of average BD prices is generating less Blu-ray revenue percentage gains each week than the increase in Blu-ray units sold.

Clearly the lower Blu-ray prices are moving more units but generating less revenues at the retail level.
    Last edited by Kosty; 01-31-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Kosty is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
    So much for that box office conspiracy. 1/21 inches up to 8% with a box office increase of +79%. Yet the previous weeks were close at 5 and 7 percent when they both had negitive TBO numbers. That plus 79% made very little difference. Cockamamy theory debunked.
    The Total Box Office metric is a gross indicator. The week of 1/21/12 did have Blu-ray revenues up a few percentages points higher than the first two weeks of the year when the TBO was negative but only slightly down in magnitude. This week the TBO percentage was up more but not that much in magnitude.

Blu-ray units were up +21% which is more closely tracking the TBO gain but that probably indicates the new releases were sold at retail at lower price points which moderated the Blu-ray revenue gains.

The TBO percentage change is a ratio and not the entire story.

None of the three weeks had real significant box office disparities and a $50 million dollar disparity spread among 8 vs 13 titles is hardly dramatic.

The TBO matters a lot more when there are $100 or $200 million box office performance titles involved.

Plus the offset of the Sunday - Saturday revenue reporting period while the TBO is a Monday - Sunday reporting week also spreads some of the impact of the TBO disparity into the following week.

The TBO matches and power of the releases is not a "Cockamamy theory" that you have debunked. Its a real effect where the box office strength of the comparison week's releases are a significant factor in the sales performance of the new releases for the week compared to last year. But here you are making too much of the percentage difference as neither week was having any tent pole or blockbuster releases.

You had this week with three $25+ M titles where the leading title was $17 M less than last year $41 M + $35 M + $28 M vs $58 M for last year. Its not like any of those were Avatar type performers and the leading title last year was actually more powerful than this years.

You have to look at some specifics in the title's box office performance, the percentage change does not tell the entire story.

Last edited by Kosty; 01-31-2012 at 10:02 PM.

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

The previous weeks were also even closer in actual TBO values, $20 M and $30 M so they were pretty close even with TBO percentages being down.

This time of year the releases are modest compared to the 4Q holiday sales season or when the summer blockbusters or other major releases hit.

The TBO for the week of Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1 is released show be a time when the TBO makes a big difference. Not this week.

It mattered a little bit this week, but just like the first two weeks of the year, the TBO disparity was an influence but not really dominant.

Last edited by Kosty; 01-31-2012 at 10:32 PM.

follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
    Courageous did half the usual Blu-ray marketshare you'd expect from the average new release. Kevin Hart wasn't released on Blu-ray.

Social Network was only on its second week at this time last year.

Also, I think you severely underestimate the impact that the BO disparities in December and early January are having on sales. The Numbers units charts YOY show the individual contributions like Inception and Twilight and The Other Guys and Despicable Me and Salt were there to support 2011 sales, with nothing comparable in 2012 other than the few new arrivals.

How about you spend more than 8 seconds on your analysis next time? Or would you prefer other people keep doing all the work for you?

Kosty is offline Member

Courageous was a Christian centric movie from the same people that made Fireproof and it only did 16% Blu-ray unit marketshare so it was not a strong Blu-ray genre as a faith based drama.

The genre's of the titles matter also in how much the gross indicator of box office strength affects high definition Blu-ray home video sales.

http://www.courageousthemovie.com/

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

The Numbers units charts YOY show the individual contributions like Inception and Twilight and The Other Guys and Despicable Me and Salt were there to support 2011 2010 sales, with nothing comparable in 2012 2011 other than the few new arrivals.
    I think you meant 2010 not 2011. We also have not had any big releases in 2012 yet until Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1 shows up in a couple weeks.

follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
    I think you meant 2010 not 2011.
    Nope, I'm talking about week ending 1/22/2012 vs 1/23/2011. You can see that the major December releases were still selling pretty well this time a year ago.

In doing my chart I'm seeing that Buried and Death Race 2 did some relatively significant sales this time last year. They didn't do anything at the box office so it's like a stealth boost for 2011 relative to box office strength.

Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast