Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... Last>>

Default Avatar Coming To Netflix Streaming… The Day After Never

http://blogs.forbes.com/ericsavitz/2...y-after-never/

Wondering how this gem got missed

If you happen to be waiting to see Avatar, James Cameron’s 3D sci-fi blockbuster, on the Netflix streaming movie service, I would advise you not to hold your breath.

Mike Dunn, president of Fox Home Entertainment, the video distribution arm for News Corp.‘s movie and television production businesses, dropped by the Forbes outpost in San Francisco earlier this week with various minions in tow, to talk about the future of the movie distribution, a subject of no small controversy at the moment. Among other topics, we chatted about the role Netflix plays in the movie business. And his view is that Netflix streaming is an excellent way to distribute television shows. But he’s less keen on allowing high-end film content to be offered up to consumers paying on an all-you-can-eat basis. Ergo, when I asked Dunn when Avatar will be available for streaming, he said: “Not in my lifetime.”
    I don't want to quote the whole article. There's some interesting and head scratching stuff there.

This warrants posting:

Dunn remains particularly keen on the prospects for Blu-ray disks. He contends the quality you can get from Blu-Ray is simply way better than anything you can get from even high-end Internet streaming. The Fox exec seems a little peeved that there’s a perception that the public’s response to Blu-ray has been less than anticipated. Indeed, he contends the average consumer is becoming a “high-def snob,” refusing to watch channels in standard def on their large flat displays. Dunn says there is a media perception that the consumer is opting for lower quality – that YouTube is a winner in the video sector, and Blu-ray is a lower. His view is that there are different kinds of viewing experiences for different kinds of occasions. He notes that for both Netflix and Hulu, consumer interest is being driven in part by television content – short-form video designed for the TV screen.
    There's more of course at Forbes.
    Ok.

I'm going to start a thread of every DVD that won't hit Blu-ray. Gonna take me a few years...

Of course, Avatar is readily available from multiple VOD services, so not having it on Netflix is not that big of a deal. Fox can keep that POS film.
    Aw poor giz, scrambling as always...

Anywho, this a bold move by Fox, I am genuinely surprised...
    Quote Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
    I think msft knows a little bit more about online security than a bank.
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Gorilla View Post
    Aw poor giz, scrambling as always...

Anywho, this a bold move by Fox, I am genuinely surprised...
    Scrambling? Over not getting Avatar on Netflix?

Bold move indeed by Fox. They can keep that crappy movie off Netflix. I'd rather watch Vampire Grandma's instead.
    Hmmmmm . . . . the things you take for granted:

•One odd factoid Dunn mentions is that it in some ways was easier to get consumers to switch from VCR to DVD because there were dual-mode boxes. With Blu-ray, the standard is designed to be backwardly compatible – but he says the consumer electronics companies have not always made that clear in their packaging and advertising, leaving some to hold back buying a Blu-ray player for fear they won’t be able to play their old DVDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
    Indeed, I always figured this was kind of a given. Though looking back now, no one really does mention DVD compatibility for the players.
    I think that must've been a typo, because there weren't too many dual mode boxes until around 2001 or 2002, and they were off brand crap.

He notes that for both Netflix and Hulu, consumer interest is being driven in part by television content – short-form video designed for the TV screen.
    But it's telling that this is driving consumer interest. Not movies as much. While Netflix is discouraging piracy of catalog (supposedly) this suggests that interest is moving away from movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by PSound View Post
    Right.....

Proclamations like these are pure fluff. It would only be a matter of money.

Just like Gone with the Wind or Star Wars on commercial television. It is certainly true that Fox probably wants more money than Netflix will pay right now.

Hell... my girlfriends phone came pre-loaded with Avatar.
    Great points. But I could see JC not wanting this played on Netflix. He's pretty anal when it comes to quality. Would he have a say in this at all?
    Roku2, Roku3, Samsung 1600, Insignia BR W/Netflix!
    = 70
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    Netflix gets the Z content, TV show reruns and whatever old catalogs they can get their hands on. Most of the stuff people really want to watch (new releases, first run TV shows and the most popular newer catalogs) aren't available on Netflix at all and it's probably going to stay that way.
    So true, my sister recently got netflix for herself, and she's complaining that all the movies see wants to see (read: New Releases) aren't available for streaming...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
    Not only that. I've seen upscale players that actually say HD on the box. And I bet when people got home and plugged in that HDMI cable? Most were happy as could be. Hehehe.
    Once again, I little faith in the intelligence of the average consumer. But then, neither do companies, apparently...
    Right.....

Proclamations like these are pure fluff. It would only be a matter of money.

Just like Gone with the Wind or Star Wars on commercial television. It is certainly true that Fox probably wants more money than Netflix will pay right now.

Hell... my girlfriends phone came pre-loaded with Avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Gorilla View Post
    So true, my sister recently got netflix for herself, and she's complaining that all the movies see wants to see (read: New Releases) aren't available for streaming...
    She can either:
    a. Rent them via VOD
    b. Buy them on DVD/Blu-ray
    c. Rent them from Netflix
    d. Torrent them
    I'd like Netflix to give my cats a bath too, but it's pretty clear that is not a feature and was never advertised as such. Netflix Instant is primarily a catalog-driven service.
    Not only that. I've seen upscale players that actually say HD on the box. And I bet when people got home and plugged in that HDMI cable? Most were happy as could be. Hehehe.
    = 70
    Netflix gets the Z content, TV show reruns and whatever old catalogs they can get their hands on. Most of the stuff people really want to watch (new releases, first run TV shows and the most popular newer catalogs) aren't available on Netflix at all and it's probably going to stay that way. It's certainly no surprise that they won't be getting Avatar anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    Netflix gets the Z content, TV show reruns and whatever old catalogs they can get their hands on. Most of the stuff people really want to watch (new releases, first run TV shows and the most popular newer catalogs) aren't available on Netflix at all and it's probably going to stay that way.
    Yup, and if you think about it, that's perfect! Because I think people will continue to buy what they feel is worth buying. And wait for the less desirable stuff to show up on services like Netflix. It all comes down to timing IMO. I know it's been pointed out several times here. But I think people look at those huge collections and wonder why the hell they bought 80% of those movies. I've watched many many movies in my collection on TV and such. But I never once bothered to pop that dvd into my player after the initial viewing. They just go on collecting dust. The small percentage that does get used I'll rebuy on Bluray. But, If those movies end up on services like Netflix? I think that percentage drops even smaller.
    = 70