Go Back   High-Def Digest Forums > High-Definition Content and Gear > High Definition Smackdown
Reload this Page 2011 Blu-ray Sales Metrics Stats: Weekly-HMM Nielsen/Videoscan Quarterly-Rentrak/DEG
Closed Thread 
Page 602 of 689 << First ... 102 502 552 592 600 601 602 603 604 612 652 ... Last>>
Results 9,016 to 9,030 of 10329
    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
    You mean like having the #1 video game console two generations in a row, only the plummet to last place behind one where you waggle a remote? Yeah, big reward. Why do you keep insisting on re-writing history to support your narrative?
    Gizmo, at this point, the amount of sales and what is going on, being in first or last place out of the three doesn't matter as much as it did in the beginning. Since everything is matured, the bigger issue is if they are starting to turn a profit on the PS3. My understanding is that they have achieved that. Of course this doesn't countermand the point that they have recouped their losses. That's hard to track considering how much of it is blurred by the BD aspect of the ps3.
    Cheers to the ever positive Kosty, may you find peace and happiness in the heavens above.
    Kosty's Obituary
    Kosty's Guestbook
    Kosty's HiDefForum Memorial Thread
    Hidefdigest Zyber Blog

Blu-ray Sales: Strange Week on the Home Market

While the new releases were terrible on DVD, the Blu-ray sales chart was incredibly active thanks to Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

This film sold 1.71 million units and generated $48.50 million in opening week sales; however, the DVD only release doesn't come out till the 15th of November, so it is not quite fair to compare this result to other concurrent Blu-ray sales. That said, the strategy appears to have worked.

Green Lantern remained in second place with 331,000 units / $7.46 million for the week and 825,000 units / $19.41 million after two.

The Lion King fell to third place with 208,000 units / $5.27 million for the week giving it a three-week total of 2.24 million units / $63.13 million. Not many Blu-rays have sold more than 2 million units in the history of the format, so this even more impressive for a catalogue title.

Bad Teacher opened in fourth place with 135,000 units / $3.14 million, for an opening week Blu-ray ratio of 34%, which is a strong start for a comedy.

Batman: Year One opened in fifth place with 102,000 units / $2.16 million. Its opening week Blu-ray ratio was 61%, but it does target the ideal demographic for the format.

The Crow made its Blu-ray debut in ninth place with 43,000 units / $520,000. This is a much better start than I was expecting.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Season Three opened in 15th place with 29,000 units / $1.17 million. Earning an opening Blu-ray ration of 37% is excellent for a TV on DVD release, although this show's target audience tends to favor high definition.

The final new release to chart was Monte Carlo with 17,000 units / $413,000. Films aimed at young girls tend to have the worst Blu-ray ratios, and 11% is slightly better than average. However, until studios start phasing out DVDs, films of this genre will sell substantially more on DVD.

Speaking of phasing out DVDs... Because Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides only came out on Blu-ray this week, the overall market was a little skewed and one shouldn't take too much stock when it comes to judging long-term growth.

Week-to-week, Blu-ray sales rose 28% in terms of units and 35% in terms of dollars. Compared to last year Blu-ray sales were up 128% in terms of units and 155% in terms of dollars. On Stranger Tides by itself was bigger than the entire market was this time last year.

On the other hand, DVD saw their sales slice roughly in half, in both definitions of the word (as in "approximately", as well as, "violently").

The overall Blu-ray ratio rose to 62% in terms of units and 71% in terms of revenue. I suspect more studios will delay the DVD-only releases until a few weeks after the Blu-ray Combo releases come out.

The overall Blu-ray market should continue to be strong next week with the release of Captain American: The First Avenger, among other Blu-rays. On the other hand, last year was exceptionally weak and the biggest new release was Sex and the City 2, which is not the kind of film you want leading the way on Blu-ray.

- C.S.Strowbridge

Date posted: 2011-11-02

Movies
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
    Green Lantern
    The Lion King
    Bad Teacher
    Batman Year One
    The Crow
    Monte Carlo

http://www.the-numbers.com/interacti...hp?newsID=6731

DVD Sales: Just Plain Bad

The top of the DVD sales chart was the weakest it's been since August, as Bad Teacher was the number one selling DVD with just 265,000 units sold and $4.71 million in opening week revenue.

Green Lantern remained in second place with 263,000 units / $3.94 million during its first full week of release, giving it totals of 543,000 units / $8.19 million.

Horrible Bosses fell to third place with 181,000 units / $3.11 million over the weekend for a total of $582,000 units / $9.23 million after two.

We could use another blockbuster release to talk about. Monte Carlo placed fourth with 136,000 units / $2.31 million.
    Rounding out the top five was Fast Five with 134,000 units / $2.09 million over the week for totals of 1.24 million units / $20.31 million after three.

The only other new releases to chart this week were both animated releases. Batman: Year One placed tenth with 64,000 units / $933,000 units.

Meanwhile, Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Season Three was right behind with 51,000 units / $1.53 million.

- C.S.Strowbridge

Date posted: 2011-11-01

Movies
    Bad Teacher
    Green Lantern
    Horrible Bosses
    Monte Carlo
    Fast Five
    Batman Year One
    http://www.the-numbers.com/interacti...hp?newsID=6728
    "A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

follow me on Twitter
    Week Ending 10/30/11

68% Blu-ray unit marketshare for Captain America.

‘Captain America’ Swings His Mighty Shield, Tops Sales and Rental Charts

2 Nov, 2011
    By: Thomas K. Arnold

Captain America: The First Avenger

Paramount Home Entertainment scored a rare triple-play victory on the home video charts the week ended Oct. 30, as summer theatrical blockbuster Captain America: The First Avenger rode its $176.6 million box office gross to a No. 1 debut on both sales charts as well as the rental chart.

Captain America bumped Walt Disney Studios’ Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, the previous week’s big tentpole release, to No. 2 on both the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert overall sales chart and the dedicated Blu-ray Disc chart.

Captain America generated 68% of its first-week sales from the high-definition format, underscoring Blu-ray’s recent surge and a sharp uptick in U.S. households with at least one Blu-ray Disc player, which according to DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group rose to 33.5 million during the third quarter, a 52% year-over-year gain.

Other new releases that also sold well their first week in stores include Disney’s hand-drawn Winnie the Pooh feature, which grossed $26.7 million in theaters and debuted at No. 3 on both the First Alert and Blu-ray Disc chart, and Universal Studios’ Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy, which bowed at No. 6 on the First Alert and No. 5 on the Blu-ray Disc chart.

On Home Media Magazine’s weekly rental chart, Captain America bumped Sony Pictures’ Bad Teacher to No. 2. Universal Studios’ Bridesmaids slipped to No. 3, although rental demand remained heavy during the film’s second week of availability on Netflix and Redbox. Winnie the Pooh debuted at No. 12.

Related Links :

Top 20 Sellers for the Week Ended 10/30/11

Top 20 Rentals for the Week Ended 10/30/11

Top 20 Selling Blu-ray Discs for the Week Ended 10/30/11

Top 20 Blu-ray Market Share for the Week Ended 10/30/11
    "A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

follow me on Twitter
    Last year HMM only had $21.06 for the Blu-ray numbers for the published Mon-Sun weeks ending 10/31/10.

This week will be huge for the YoY comparison metric with the results of Captain America and should be a big week for Blu-ray overall with a 68% Blu-ray unit share for Captain America.

follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
    We just do not expect that Blu-ray by itself would fully make up for DVD attrition, especially in catalog sales revenues in this day and age. Blu-ray being within 5% of doing that in the 3Q YoY comparisons is actually a pleasant surprise and rather unexpected.

Who is we? I tell you that I sure as heck expected bd to stop the decline in OD by now. Heck even two years ago a studio exec said it was stabilizing and you were SPAMMING futuresource charts in every thread and you were pumping it up like you expected the reverse to happen two years ago. I suppose you convieniently forget that huh Kosty?
    Quote Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
    Who is we? I tell you that I sure as heck expected bd to stop the decline in OD by now. Heck even two years ago a studio exec said it was stabilizing and you were SPAMMING futuresource charts in every thread and you were pumping it up like you expected the reverse to happen two years ago. I suppose you convieniently forget that huh Kosty?
    Why so hostile?

A little thing like a Great Recession did happen since the format war ended.

Blu-ray has done a lot to help slow the attrition in the Top 100 annual OD sales since 2008 and it could hardly be expected to fully cover the attrition in DVD catalog sales for aging DVD releases that have been on the market for 5-14 years at this point in time since DVD's 1997 launch.

follow me on Twitter

follow me on Twitter
    Looks like videogames don't affect movie sales afterall. Batman, a very strong selling movie-based series, did not noticeably interfere with Blu-ray sales to my knowledge. Nor did Battlefield 3 last week (see Captain America's extremely high BD marketshare).
    It will be a big week for Blu-ray for YoY and revenues.

Tron: Legacy had a 68.21% reported Nielsen Videoscan first alert reported BD unit marketshare but that was probably with far less volume and that figure definitely did not include Walmart sales while this week probably does.

Captain America has a reported 67.83% Blu-ray unit marketshare so that's even better than Tron Legacy anyway by a little bit.

Wow.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-tec...ml#post5160398

follow me on Twitter
    So either Captain America sold a shit load or Pirates 4 fell off a cliff. Which is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
    Looks like videogames don't affect movie sales afterall. Batman, a very strong selling movie-based series, did not noticeably interfere with Blu-ray sales to my knowledge. Nor did Battlefield 3 last week (see Captain America's extremely high BD marketshare).
    It will be interesting to see the revenues for the Captain America week.

I'm working on the charts now.

But it does not look like that Batman videogame release significantly depressed the home video market much if at all this Captain America week.

But I'm glad chipvideo brought it up as that's a factor that we really have not considered and he can help keep us advised of when he can see an impact or when major gaming releases are potential impacts.

follow me on Twitter
    Blu-ray is exceeding the doom and gloomers' expectations this half, and it's really upsetting to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
    It will be interesting to see the revenues for the Captain America week.

I'm working on the charts now.

But it does not look like that Batman videogame release significantly depressed the home video market much if at all this Captain America week.

But I'm glad chipvideo brought it up as that's a factor that we really have not considered and he can help keep us advised of when he can see an impact or when major gaming releases are potential impacts.
    Q4 is always packed with big budget blockbuster games, so I don't see them affecting movie releases much differently this year versus any other.
    Box office the last 8 weeks is up an amazing 50.2% YoY. That is plenty good reason OD and BLu-ray are doing well.
    I expect bad sales on captain america if it sold a high % on blu-ray. It happens everytime a new release sells high % on blu the dvd version ended up sucking.

BTW I am not hostile. Your reading me very wrong. In fact I am happy as a clam. I dont have to work for 5 more months.