Das Koopa is offline Member

Default How do HD Antennas work

ok i dont understand how these things work when they dont come with hdmi or componet inputs all of the ones that i have seen only have aux inputs what gives how do these work or am i just looking up the wrong ones?
    37" Samsung series 5
    +=

Gamertag: KwameKilpatrick

SLARITY is offline Member

They use coax cables right? You have to have a digital tuner in your tv for it. Therefore they will not work on "HD-Ready" Tvs.

As far as the difference between rabbit ears and an hd antenna, I think the HD antenna is just powered, so it is suppose to receive a better signal.

My TV has a QAM tuner, so I actually get the HD channels from just having a cable hooked up to my TV, which is good because Im not spending $50 more for 10 HD channels.
    Current Setup
    Epson 6100 1080p Projector, 126" of HD Goodness
    Playstation 3 (60gb, HDMI all around)
    Denon 1910 Receiver
    Infinity Entra II Fronts,
    Entra Surround Backs
    Entra center
    Entra II Sub
    Infinity Primus Surrounds

usckid is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLARITY View Post
    They use coax cables right? You have to have a digital tuner in your tv for it. Therefore they will not work on "HD-Ready" Tvs.

As far as the difference between rabbit ears and an hd antenna, I think the HD antenna is just powered, so it is suppose to receive a better signal.

My TV has a QAM tuner, so I actually get the HD channels from just having a cable hooked up to my TV, which is good because Im not spending $50 more for 10 HD channels.
    Yep, your tv is going to need a ATSC-digital tuner inside or externally to pick up HD channels "over the air" using an antenna. There really is no such thing as a HD antenna. Depending on where you live you may need one that is powered to pick up more channels and/or get better reception (if the signal is weak it'll freeze or get scrambled). Enter your address at antennaweb.org to find out what channels you can expect. Then start out with a cheap antenna to see if you pick up said channels. If not, then pick up a more expensive antenna. I get pretty good reception and pick up all the expected channels with a $15 antenna (Columbia, SC).

You can also go on the dtv2009.gov website and request 1 or 2 $40 coupons to cover 80-90% of the cost for a analog to digital converter box(es) (pretty sure it's only up to SD, not HD)---if your tv is only "HD ready". Walmart has one that is $12 out the door after the coupon. The one from Best Buy is about $23-24 out the door after the coupon. [You'll still need an antenna]
    To buy or not to buy? That is the question....

SLARITY is offline Member

That antennaweb.org was interesting. Shows 2 channels there I cannot pickup through my basic cable. Might have to find me an antenna I can hook my cable up to then run it to my tv. Also shows me the direction to point the antenna.

I knew that wasnt technically any HD antennas, you know thats how they advertise them tho. Thats why I said HD antennas were just powered ones.
    Current Setup
    Epson 6100 1080p Projector, 126" of HD Goodness
    Playstation 3 (60gb, HDMI all around)
    Denon 1910 Receiver
    Infinity Entra II Fronts,
    Entra Surround Backs
    Entra center
    Entra II Sub
    Infinity Primus Surrounds

usckid is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLARITY View Post
    I knew that wasnt technically any HD antennas, you know thats how they advertise them tho. Thats why I said HD antennas were just powered ones.
    Yep. They throw HD on the box and hike the price up $15-20.

I also pick up a few channels that antennaweb.org doesn't list. was a nice surprise.
    To buy or not to buy? That is the question....