Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Default Need Advice About An External Hard Drive For My HD Dish Reciever

Dish Network has now added the capability of adding a USB 2.0 External Hard Drive. All they said was to get one with at least 40 GB. I admit I know nothing on this subject. They said they cost a little over a hundred dollars. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I need as much HD storage as possible without going broke. Thanks.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
    My HD list.
    You can get a 300GB drive for like $150 or so from Newegg. They're super cheap. Western Digital is a great brand. Seagate also makes quality drives.
    Gone forever, at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
    You're a goddess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    You can get a 300GB drive for like $150 or so from Newegg. They're super cheap. Western Digital is a great brand. Seagate also makes quality drives.
    How can I tell how many hours of HD progamming it holds?
    My HD list.
    I have a portable media drive that jacks into my computer.(It's a media PC) I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know. I spoke to the Dish Network people today and they said it was pretty easy. I can't wait to get Oprah off my DVR and transfer it to my wife's computer!
    My Theater:
    Panasonic AE4000U Projector, 100" Elite Screen, Onkyo TX-SR606 Reciever, Klipsch Synergy F1 Towers, C1 Center speaker with B1 bookshelf Surrounds, 2 Boston Acoustics 12" Subs, 1 KLH 10" sub behind my chair (don't knock it till you try it!)
    Sony PS3 60g, XBOX 360 Elite, Samsung BD-UP5000, Sony 400 disc BDP-CX960 Blu-Ray changer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spideybat View Post
    How can I tell how many hours of HD progamming it holds?
    Well, the highest allowed bitrate for an HDTV broadcast is 19.4 Mbps (it's broadcast in MPEG-2, btw). Then you toss in Dolby Digital audio at 384 Kbps, bringing the total up to 19.775 Mbps, or 2.47 MB/s.

A 300 GiB (1 GiB = 1,000,000,000 bytes) is 279 GB, so that gives you 115743 seconds of video, or approximately 32 hours. I think my DVR has a 120GB drive in it, and it holds about 12 hours of HD video.

A 500 GiB drive would allow you 53 hours or so.

That assumes the broadcast uses the maximum allowed bitrate, which may or may not be the case. You won't get less than those numbers there. You could get more if the bitrate is less than 19.4 Mbps.

You're a goddess.
    Thanks guys. My DVR has a 320 GB hard drive, and can record up to 30 hours of HD, so your estimate sounds right Aurora. Now, is speed a concern or does the DVR control that? This is what I am looking at: http://www.amazon.com/500GB-Elements...385750-9744713
    Last edited by Spideybat; 08-17-2007 at 08:55 AM.
    My HD list.
    Thanks guys.
    And girl.

I once used the firewire cable to record live HD video from my Comcast box on my laptop, and the laptop drive wasn't fast enough to keep up with the video. It came out all jerky and jittery. The laptop harddrive is only 5400 RPM, so that was likely the problem. A 7200 RPM drive should be fast enough. USB 2.0 can definitely pull enough effective bandwith to make sure that nothing goes wrong.

That one you have there looks pretty good.

You're a goddess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    And girl.

I once used the firewire cable to record live HD video from my Comcast box on my laptop, and the laptop drive wasn't fast enough to keep up with the video. It came out all jerky and jittery. The laptop harddrive is only 5400 RPM, so that was likely the problem. A 7200 RPM drive should be fast enough. USB 2.0 can definitely pull enough effective bandwith to make sure that nothing goes wrong.

That one you have there looks pretty good.
    Wow! A girl? Fantastic! I finally decided to go with the Seagate 250MG for now because I caught it on sale. I'm still playing with it, but it seems cool. Thanks and I thought I smelled perfume.
    My HD list.
    I was looking into getting a Westen Digital 750GB (model WDG1C7500)external hard drive, would this one be a good choice? I wanted to use a 1 terabyte HDD, but according to Dish anything larger than 750GB is not supported.

Seth
    Quote Originally Posted by zepherman View Post
    I was looking into getting a Westen Digital 750GB (model WDG1C7500)external hard drive, would this one be a good choice? I wanted to use a 1 terabyte HDD, but according to Dish anything larger than 750GB is not supported.

Seth
    I was looking at one, but funds at this time did not allow it. Dish needs to iron out their bugs about activating it. Everytime I want to use it, I have to reboot it. They needed to educate their staff more before deploying this new service.
    My HD list.

Default Hard Drive Format?

Can anyone please tell me what format the hard drive should be? I'm on a Mac, so I'm accustom to needing something other than the boxed norm. Dish seems to have no information on what their own hard drives are, which is kind of scary.

I'm not on HDTV, but I don't think that will make a difference in the format. I'm wondering if that's why I can record 100 hours with my DVR instead of the smaller numbers I'm seeing here.

I plan to dump some shows off my DVR and burn them to DVD. Does anyone have a guess approximately how much I could fit onto one? I'm gathering less than an hour, based on Aurora's math. 279:32=4.3:x, but again that's figuring on HDTV, not standard.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Stanford

P.S. I know this is an HDTV forum, but you folks seem to be much more intelligent and "with it" than anything else I could find. So, please forgive my intrusion.
    I'm on a mac too and would like to know also. If you don't get an answer, you should re-post as a separate thread. Hopefully that will get a response.
    Hard drives only come in one "format." Any external hard drive will work with any computer/source that has a USB port. Some drives come preformatted with the old Windows standard FAT32, which works with pretty much everything, but even if it doesn't, you can hook it up to any PC and format it appropriately (fdisk for Linux, probably Mac OS too, or Windows Explorer).

How much HD content on single-layer DVD? About 30 minutes. On dual-layer discs, it's about 54 minutes.

You're a goddess.
    I kinda thought they did, but I guess he kinda convinced me maybe there was a difference. Good to know!!
    any hard drive will work. I picked up the Seagate Freeagent Pro external hard drive for $199 (was on sale) at Best Buy, that's 750gb of space, works beautifully. Just have it sitting near my model 622 DVR, and plugged in through USB, not connected to my computer at all.

As for which format.....the Dish receiver formats the hard drive. What I do is have the movie tape on the dvr, then send it to the hard drive, in which case it erases from the dvr. That sounds safer than sending it to the external hard drive right away (not sure if you can do this either).

Does anyone know what the difference in sound is when you compare a Dish broadcast of a High Def movie and a regular dvd? Is dvd Dolby Digital compressed more than a dvd? I have noticed that Dish movie broadcasts in hd of dolby digital movies seem to sound better than that of a dvd of the same title.