Default DISH Now Offers High-Speed Satellite Internet

The speeds aren't remarkable, but if you're living in an area that other high-speed options aren't available, it's a big step up.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/27/d...twork-dishnet/
    I hate the fact that Satellite dish looses its signal during bad weather very easily and I'm sure that will happen to their Internet service too but again, if you do subscribe you probably don't have many other choices, if any.
    I am welcoming this news. I have time warner and I have dropped services/programming to try and shave off a little $$ off the monthly bill.....only to see the ''savings'' raise back up over time. Honestly...I just want the internet service..I can live without cable and landline.

If DISH can offer me a cheaper monthly bill for internet and cable....I may look into this.
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"
    This is new? My aunt has had Dish for about a year. Maybe they were testers. It worked decently - there was a bit of a lag, but that's fine for most stuff. My cousin though was an online gamer. He could normally play for about 15-30 minutes at a time before the servers would boot him for high latency. Ping time was normally around 1100ms.
    Cable services like Verizon FIOS, standard cable modems, and standard DSL services offer the fastest and most reliable Internet speed. Satellite Internet services are the most expensive per MB and they experience rain fade with some lag time. One should only subscribe to satellite Internet services when a cable modem or DSL service is not available.

DSL service and caller ID service is now available in literally 99.99% of locations in the United States that have access to a landline. I know a family member that lives in an extremely remote location in the United States where there is no Cable TV service at all. They get their TV service from Direct TV and their high speed Internet from their DSL service over the landline. The top tier speed for copper DSL in their location is 10Mbps and they subscribe to the top speed and only get around 9Mbps since they are so far away from the central office. People in big cities that have access to Verizon FIOS at 300Mbps might laugh at the 9Mbps speed, but 9Mbps is better than nothing. DSL service is even available in remote locations of Alaska as long as one has a phone line.

Of course if someone lives in a real remote location of the USA then they will not have access to a landline or Sprints high-speed wireless 4G network. In that case Dish Network would be ideal for high-speed Internet since satellite would be the only option. Usually if one does not have access to a landline they also do not have access to electricity also unless they generate their own electricity at a remote location.
    "$40 a month (plus equipment fees) gets you 5 Mbps down / 1Mbps up with a 10GB data cap, while subscribers can get a $10 discount if they pick up a TV package at the same time"

"Most satellite customers can upgrade to a 10 Mbps /1 Mbps plan available with 20 GB of data for $49.99 per month."

"Installation is free for new and existing DISH TV customers when dishNET is bundled with DISH's television programming and $99 when ordered as a stand-alone service. Existing DISH satellite Internet customers can upgrade to the 5 Mbps or 10 Mbps speeds for $199.99."
    "If you can't dazzle them with brillance . . . baffle them with Bull*&^%" - W C Fields
    Dish must be doing their own thing now? For years when you got internet with DISH, the second dish said Hughes on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
    DSL service and caller ID service is now available in literally 99.99% of locations in the United States that have access to a landline. I know a family member that lives in an extremely remote location in the United States where there is no Cable TV service at all. They get their TV service from Direct TV and their high speed Internet from their DSL service over the landline.
    I would love to know where you are getting your 99.99% figure at. I have family members in several rural towns (as in there are people around them, along with town centers and all of that) that do not have cable or DSL. They do live in different towns. Out there, the option is either dialup or satelite.
    DISH satellite TV offers provide superior programming while helping you.
    That's not bad. The cap will eventually increase. I have no doubt about that. Great option for undeserved areas..