Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Attebery is offline Member

Default 'Uncommon Bach' - High-Def Digest Review

Kenneth's review of 'Uncommon Bach' is up. He says a lackluster presentation makes this HD DVD one to avoid at all costs.

Full review here:
    http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1099/uncommonbach.html
    Last edited by Attebery; 05-19-2008 at 12:02 AM.

Liqwid is offline Member

I never cared much for Bach anyways. Just another reason for me to avoid it.

A really good one to have reviewed would be the Vivaldi Four Seasons disc.
    Sony Playstation 3
    Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on
    Movie Collection
    : LiqwidZero
    : LiqwidZero

tai4de2 is offline Member

Apparently the reviewer was unaware that there are HD DVD players that can bitstream DTS-HD MA. It is entirely possible to experience that codec in all its glory from HD DVD.

It probably wouldn't have mattered too much in terms of improving the review, but let's at least strive for technical accuracy.

MrFalconHD is offline Member

Although Surround Records has included a DTS-HD Lossless Audio mix, as of this writing, no current HD DVD player can handle this high definition audio source.
    Um, this is a joke right? What about the A35 and the XA2?
    : 435: 1040
    Ah, debt... I know thee well.

Ken Brown is offline Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tai4de2 View Post
    Apparently the reviewer was unaware that there are HD DVD players that can bitstream DTS-HD MA. It is entirely possible to experience that codec in all its glory from HD DVD.

It probably wouldn't have mattered too much in terms of improving the review, but let's at least strive for technical accuracy.
    Sorry all -- this is a rainy-day review that we finally got around to posting (almost a year after the time of its writing). You may see a few of these older titles reviewed from time to time when we haven't received higher priority screeners.

I'll change the text now so no one else is confused. And don't worry, after this week you'll see a surge of new titles and reviews. Have you seen the release list for June?! It looks like we'll finally be coming out of May's dry spell.

BTW -- it would be nice if people didn't assume the worst of our review staff all the time! I know it may come as a surprise, but we're generally intelligent, knowledgable guys who usually get our facts straight. Love ya all, thanks for posting!
    Last edited by Ken Brown; 05-19-2008 at 10:33 AM.

MrFalconHD is offline Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
    BTW -- it would be nice if people didn't assume the worst of our review staff all the time! I know it may come as a surprise, but we're generally intelligent, knowledgable guys who usually get our facts straight. Love ya all, thanks for posting!
    I'm sorry if the tone of my message seemed negative, it was more a mildly amusing observation than anything else. I personally appreciate all the work you guys put in, and I can't wait to see all the new reviews.
    : 435: 1040
    Ah, debt... I know thee well.

Ken Brown is offline Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MrFalconHD View Post
    I'm sorry if the tone of my message seemed negative, it was more a mildly amusing observation than anything else. I personally appreciate all the work you guys put in, and I can't wait to see all the new reviews.
    No worries -- I was also shooting for a mildly amusing observation about a few posters who forget we're not dull-witted monkeys trying to watch BDs on a VHS player. I just appreciated that you thought something was strange, rather than thinking we had developed a mental disorder.

I would've been annoyed to see a review for 'Uncommon Bach' pop up with such dated info too! Again, thanks for posting -- it keeps us on our toes!

bruceames is offline Member

I'd rather see a few rainy-day import reviews, but something's better than nothing I suppose.

pob14 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Liqwid View Post
    I never cared much for Bach anyways. Just another reason for me to avoid it.
    You must die.

Just kidding, I understand that different people have different tastes. But if you love Bach, you truly must avoid this disc.

twinsen is offline Member

Why aren't we reviewing discs that are played by actual classical musicians? The Vivaldi and Rachmaninoff ones were by real musicians (not the best, heck you had a Mozart Classical group playing Vivaldi Baroque but whatever)

Anyway, I thought it was a weird choice. The many caveat emptor reviews on Amazon.com already warned me away from this disc.

krammer is offline Founding Member

Can't believe I just read that review.

Seriously, you mine as well say Batman Returns on HD DVD has crap audio well your at it.
    Time for Blu to go mainstream.

= 284
    = 2700
    = 99.47 terabytes
    = 5th console
    = 1st console

Cochise is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by tai4de2 View Post

I'm confused as to exactly what is the audio is encoded on this. In the specs & body of the review it's labeled DTS-HD "Lossless Audio", then in the Final Thoughts it's called a "DTS HD MA mix". In the pic of the cover it looks like the studio calls it "DTS-HD High Definition Audio".

If it's DTS-HD, it's lossy, not lossless, but fairly called High Definition. If it's DTS-HD Master Audio, then it is lossless. And yes, there is a distinct difference & improvement between the two. On my German "Death Sentence" import for example, bitstream audio from my XA2 to my Onkyo 605 & 7.1 speaker system, the German DTS-HD MA is noticeably fuller and more detailed audio than the English DTS-HD High Resolution.

krammer is offline Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
    I'm confused as to exactly what is the audio is encoded on this. In the specs & body of the review it's labeled DTS-HD "Lossless Audio", then in the Final Thoughts it's called a "DTS HD MA mix". In the pic of the cover it looks like the studio calls it "DTS-HD High Definition Audio".

If it's DTS-HD, it's lossy, not lossless, but fairly called High Definition. If it's DTS-HD Master Audio, then it is lossless. And yes, there is a distinct difference & improvement between the two. On my German "Death Sentence" import for example, bitstream audio from my XA2 to my Onkyo 605 & 7.1 speaker system, the German DTS-HD MA is noticeably fuller and more detailed audio than the English DTS-HD High Resolution.
    I believe Uncommon Bach is 5.1 dts-HD HR at 3.0mbps while the following releases are 5.1 & 7.1 dts-HD MA.
    Time for Blu to go mainstream.

= 284
    = 2700
    = 99.47 terabytes
    = 5th console
    = 1st console

piter is offline Member

This review is just folse statments that just turning around everything about real experience of this disc. A view like the above is very myopic and arrogant. It clearly shows the lack of konwledge in the actual music production and performance of music.

But it would not be real that such a great Groundbreaking Music project would not have opponents.
    Where many parties with different commercial interest will try to pledge this independent project.
    Don't follow them. Experience it and that may be the most exiting music and sound experience you ever had.

just a few real reviews from people who really understand:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...ead.php?t=8567

http://www.fulvuedrive-in.com/review...Uncommon+Bach+

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...on+Bach+review

Alexander Jero is known Surround Music Artist, Engineer, Producer, he is the first winner of Surround Music Awards for the Best New Surround Music Composition presented by United Entertainment Media and Surround Professional Magazine. Alexander Jero is an active member of the music society who is not afraid to showcase new creative ideas for the future generation of Artists and Producers. His Surround Music Projects featuring latest advantages in music technology, synthesis and sound reproduction. We can only thank the Artist for sharing this amazing work with us all and urge everybody with an open mind and an appreciation for music to purchase this recording.
    Last edited by piter; 06-01-2008 at 07:34 AM.
    Toshiba HD A35
    Onkyo TX-SR705S

Default Uncommon Bach Sample

Glad to join the forum.
    I am a big fan of High-Def Digest and much appreciated Kenneth for giving attention to my first HD DVD recording no meter that.

Unfortunately we never had a chance to communicate however we regularly exchange e-mails with Jed and Peter Bracke about our upcoming releases and projects.

Yes, Uncommon Bach is an experimental project. This is a presentation of a conceptual work that encompasses several years of research in music, sound and technology. The goal was to develop a new view on how music can be presented in Surround Sound. In producing these classic masterpieces, I have taken approach to showcasing music orchestration with the position of each instrument or group of instruments around the listener. Original orchestral partitures were transcribed in a virtual domain using midi, sampled instruments and synthesis to achieve real separation of the instruments, and also to balance them together in the surround mix. This creates the perception that each individual sound has its unique location in 3-Dimensional Space. Looking to the future of sound and music technology, there is a need for new development to showcase new artist and producers in a revolutionary way. I believe that this new experience will be an exciting and entertaining journey in music and sound.

That why if moderator permits me I would like to give an opportunity to members of highdefdigest forum to download and experience thirst track of Uncommon Bach album:
    BWV208, Was mir behagt, ist nur die muntre Jagd! (birthday of Duke Christian of Saxe-Weissenfels), Aria: "Schafe können sicher weiden" (Sheep May Safely Graze)
    In 5.1 DTS Surround Sound; this is not a DTS-HD MA quality but good enough to get an idea.

This is the link > surroundmagic.com/newitems/BWV208.rar
    And instructions of how to create DTS CD to play it back on your HD DVD player and your home theater:
    1. Download zip file.
    2. Unzip DTS Wav file
    3. Burn an Audio CD. (not a Data CD)
    4. Play your new DTS Music CD with your HD DVD player.

Love you all,
    Alexander.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast