Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Attebery is offline Member

Default 'Underworld: Extended Cut (German Import)' - High-Def Digest Review

Kenneth's review of the 'Underworld: Extended Cut (German Import)' HD DVD has been posted. This HD DVD has the extended director's cut, but loses the supplemental features of the Dutch import. If you want a reference level audio track, a nice package of bonus content, and don't mind the shorter theatrical cut, go with the Dutch HD DVD. If you want the director's cut, are willing to take a slight hit in audio quality, and don't care about special features, go with this German import.

Full review here:
    http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1429/...rld_ec_gr.html

HD-DVD_4_Me is offline Member

Just watch this last night, lol, good to see a review. One of my favorite movies on DVD and was happy to upgrade it too.
    TV - Samsung 60" LED 3D UN60H7150
    TV - Samsung 32" LED UN32D5500
    Surround - LG 5.1 HTiB
    BD Player - LG BH5140S
    = 200+
    = 131 (3D=61)
    DVD = 200+
    Joined the BD and 3D world 12/30/14!

Cochise is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
    Kenneth's review of the 'Underworld: Extended Cut (German Import)' HD DVD has been posted. This HD DVD has the extended director's cut, but loses the supplemental features of the Dutch import. If you want a reference level audio track, a nice package of bonus content, and don't mind the shorter theatrical cut, go with the Dutch HD DVD. If you want the director's cut, are willing to take a slight hit in audio quality, and don't care about special features, go with this German import.

Full review here:
    http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1429/...rld_ec_gr.html
    I don't have this title, but I do have a couple of other titles from Concorde (Death Sentence, Tideland, Brothers Grimm) and I agree wholeheartedly about the "taking a hit in audio quality". The German DTS-HD Master Audio tracts are noticeably superior to the English DTS-HD High Resolution. I would listen to the German audio if they had English subtitles, but, alas, only German.

They're all still very nice, but I'm going for the Dutch release on this for the superior audio.

Blacklac is offline Member

Nice.

Just an reminder, the Japanese has English TrueHD and AVC video. Looks phenominal. It'd be nice to see a comparison of this to the Japanese release. I've only read 2 opinions from people that has seen both, and they both said they were nearly identical, maybe a slight edge to the Japanese release for PQ.
    Panasonic TC-P50G25
    Algolith Flea
    DVDO Edge
    Toshiba A35 & Onkyo 805
    Denon 1610 & Pioneer 51fd
    Denon 1909 & Pioneer 1120 AVR's
    Elemental Designs 7.1
    HTPC

"Best" version of BD's with multiple releases

tormond is offline Member

I have this release on the way to me (had to have the extended cut as it made a better movie IMO) and am picking up a copy of the Dutch one as well (for the supplements). Will be interesting to see how "different" they turn out to be in my setup. I just wish I could upgrade my projector and receiver now instead of having to wait 3 more months...

vinnie97 is offline Member

I'm more anxious to hear an Underworld:Evolution review since I hear that one offers a PQ premium over the domestic Blu-ray...I hope this one's coming!

Master X is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
    I'm more anxious to hear an Underworld:Evolution review since I hear that one offers a PQ premium over the domestic Blu-ray...I hope this one's coming!
    HDD isnt reviewing imports anymore
    I shipped them this to review and I was going to ship Equlibrium import today but he said there going to stop so dont ship it

Imports dont get enough traffic.
    Xbox Live : AXIOS x117x

:'( Thanks for your effort in any case. Looks like I'll have to take it on the good word of all of you owners.

tormond is offline Member

I will have German and Dutch Underworld and the Spanish Underworld Evolution (I have the BD of both of them as well) shortly and will put up a mini review of the set when I am done watching them. Quit twisting my arm making me watch Kate Beckinsale in tight leather..alright already I will do it.. I swear

Ken Brown is offline Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Master X View Post
    I shipped them this to review and I was going to ship Equlibrium import today but he said there going to stop so dont ship it

To clarify, we're still going to review Blu-ray imports on a regular basis -- just not HD DVD imports. We'll also still be covering every new domestic HD DVD release, so don't worry too much!

Including Blu-ray imports that have a different region code? :-\

I'd love to see proper reviews of final HD DVD import titles like The Island, Equilibrium, Hooligans, Silent Hill, 1408, La Haine and Brotherhood of The Wolf as well.

Cochise is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
    Including Blu-ray imports that have a different region code? :-\

I'd love to see proper reviews of final HD DVD import titles like The Island, Equilibrium, Hooligans, Silent Hill, 1408, La Haine and Brotherhood of The Wolf as well.
    Brotherhood of The Wolf review is here, back in April '07, I sent 'em that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
    To clarify, we're still going to review Blu-ray imports on a regular basis -- just not HD DVD imports. We'll also still be covering every new domestic HD DVD release, so don't worry too much!
    Sure wish you guys would reconsider & review at least just one more HD DVD import - I keep going back & forth on spring the bucks for Equilibrium.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
    Brotherhood of The Wolf review is here
    1408 was also reviewed:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1393/1408_nl.html
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

kannisto is offline Imports enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Master X View Post

Well, that's pretty sad... It's not like there are much new U.S. HD DVDs they can still review. Not a good decision in my opinion.

bruceames is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
    I see. So HDD will play fair when it comes to domestic releases, but will henceforth ignore HD DVD foreign releases and focus on Blu-ray, even though HD DVD has over twice the number of unique region free foreign titles as Blu-ray and five awesome film4 exclusive HD DVD titles were just released two weeks ago.

I really appreciate those foreign reviews and it doesn't have to be feast or famine. I don't see what it can hurt showing us a little love by reviewing a foreign title or two per week. HD DVD has its own tab right alongside Blu-ray and there's little enough news as it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast