Thread: "2046" hd dvd

Default "2046" hd dvd

Hello,

today I can show you a very special HD DVD: „2046“ a Wong Kar Wai Film.

It was the first French and European HD DVD.

It comes in a very special metal box (with a round plexyglass window showing the disc, on which is printed « PREMIER HD DVD PRESSÉ EN FRANCE – MAI 2006 »).

Only 100 copies were made, offered to VIPs in Cannes, May 2006 (when Wong Kar Wai was President of the Jury).

I am very glad to have this disc!

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Holy cow! That's an amazing find. Gotta be the new Holy Grail of collectible HD DVDs. At least I can dream, LOL.
    Yes, this is really a great collector's piece. I was lucky enough to find a second copy still wrapped into its cellophane. So the disc you see on the pictures goes to my friend Blerim.
    Quote Originally Posted by logodaddy View Post
    Yes, this is really a great collector's piece. I was lucky enough to find a second copy still wrapped into its cellophane. So the disc you see on the pictures goes to my friend Blerim.
    Nice, I'm sure Blerim will be extremely happy to get it. Helluva score and thanks for sharing! I want to put in in the import list as a French title, but does it have English subs? If not, then I'll put with the movies that have no English support.

BTW, I don't think that movie has been released anywhere on Blu-ray yet.
    Yes, it does have English subs.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    Nice, I'm sure Blerim will be extremely happy to get it. Helluva score and thanks for sharing! I want to put in in the import list as a French title, but does it have English subs? If not, then I'll put with the movies that have no English support.

BTW, I don't think that movie has been released anywhere on Blu-ray yet.
    Hi Bruce

Yeah, I am very happy about the second copy. Marco and I had to sell our kids to buy the discs but well......

When Marco told me about this new HD DVD I recall on a auction on ebay.fr back in 2010. I noticed that the bids were up +80€ but as there wasn't the official logo of HD DVD printed on the disc and cover I thought this must be fake or not a real HD DVD. Years later Marco find out more and now it's confirmed.

Let's see if we can get more copies in our hands in 2013. Unfortunately we have to write and talk to people who were involved in this production or to people who were in Cannes in 2006 at the presentation, we can not write any shop. Sounds not easy but we'll try.
    GAH I've been wanting to get a high definition version of this on Blu-ray and the Chinese rights holder seems to be dragging their feet. Cut the crap and let me get a freaking version of this(not to you guys but the company)! X-(
    OLED, your CRT replacement!!! Perfect blacks and contrast.
    I found another one. And I am sure this will be the last. If you are interested please look at my "For Sale" thread.
    Thanks.
    Hello all,

I was lucky to find this 2046 HD DVD but unfortunately will not play on my LG BH200 (gives "check disc" error) or on my HD-XA2 (says "cannot play 50 HZ HD DVD", very strange message) Can anyone confirm what player can play this disc. Thanks
    Hi,
    the disc works fine with my XE1 and also with my LG drive/Cyberlink Power DVD.
    Where the hell did you find this disc?
    Congrats!
    Hi Marco, thanks for the details. I am able to play this on the Xbox HD DVD add on but can't get the menus to work so can't access the subtitles, but it does play; picture quality looks fairly good too but without English subtitles can't really watch it. I am a bit bummed I can't get it to play on my stand alone HD DVD player. I know there is a way to put the XE1 firmware on the XA2 player but to be honest I am a bit fearful of bricking my player. In any case I am glad I am able to add this to my collection.
    It won't work on the XA2 or the standalone HD DVD players from the US because it is encoded in 50hz. The only other HD DVD encoded in 50hz is the Russian Bastards. However both will play in the add-on player (and the LG multi combo disc drive as well).

Although it says on the menu that English subs are available, it comes up French. So, like most all of my other HD DVD movies without English support, I just downloaded them from the internet, demuxed the hd dvd and remuxed it in Blu-ray format with the subs, then burned it to a BD-25 and watched it on my LG BH200. The PQ is pretty good and the movie is good as well although it's really not my cup of tea.
    Thanks for the confirmation. That is great you are able to remux the english subtitles in and watch on blu ray. Someday will need to try that.
    Super cool package. amazing movie. I have heard about Wong Kar Wai is a great director. The film is too esoteric to understand.