Reply 
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last>>
Results 1 to 15 of 50
  1. #1

    hd dvd Another reason HD-DVD is better than Blu-Ray!


    Ok guys my rant is this - after purchasing a Blu-ray player about a year ago I find that many of the movies I own are laden with Trailers and advertising (Like the one's you see in movie theaters).

    Sometimes it takes about 5-10 mins just to get into the movie!. This is quite annoying and not something I'm used too as I also own 3 HD-DVD players with 250+ movies and not many of them have trailers or advertising before the movie! the exception being the Warner and Studio Canal titles which at least let you skip that part!

    anyone else find this frustrating?
  2. #2
    The loading issue is because of the shit Java Software. Blu-ray players are quicker than HD DVD players but the Software programming is more complicate, at least they are equal slow/fast.
  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Victoria, B.C. Canada (I'm French)
    Posts
    5,555
    All my HD DVD players are excruciatingly slow at loading discs, and they are only 1080i, and don't have internal Hi Res audio decoders.

    Many (most) of my Blu-ray players are extremely fast at loading discs, are 1080p, and have internal Hi Res audio decoders. Picture quality is excellent, and I can skip trailers just like that!

    * At the end of the day I will have a Blu-ray movie starting to play much faster than a HD DVD one!
    And because my TV is a 1080p, and accepts 24fps/1080p, and that my Blu-ray players can give it to it, and that HD DVD cannot, I think it's quite obvious about the much higher superiority of Blu-ray.

    And not only that, but because HD DVD is dead for a long time, the players simply don't have what it takes nowadays to be competitive with all the other features on Blu-ray players. Plus much much more...

    Hey, I got over 400 HD DVD movies, and I got three HD DVD players, and I got six Blu-ray players, and I got over 2,000 Blu-ray movies.
    So make the calculation here.

    - You're a funny guy, you know that!
    Bob
    There & Gone
    Life, Love & the Blues
    <<< 3DDD!!! Way to go Baby! >>>
    => Click Me!
    I got 'Lawrence of Arabia', 'LOTR EE' Trilogy, & 'Avatar 3D' (without the Panny TV).
    => Audyssey Setup Guide
    "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
    => Audyssey FAQ
  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area Calif. - USA
    Posts
    4,310
    My HD-DVD players provide 1080p video and lossless audio just fine. Maybe you should pick up a HD-A35 or HD-XA2 if you would like 1080p video and lossless audio?
    Forced trailers are a nuisance on blu-ray, since frequently you must skip over them 1 at a time. But if HD-DVD were still in production, forced trailers would probably be the order of the day there also.
    The initial boot-up time of my HD-DVD players is surely very slow - disc load times once the machine is booted are fine. Some blu-ray titles load up quickly - others are slow as death - someone already mentioned it being a function of whatever Java & internet routines someone loaded up in the blu-ray menu process as probably being the biggest culprit here. But time is also the issue here, as the blu-ray manufacturers have had a number of years and generations to improve performance of blu-ray players, where HD-DVD technological development is frozen in 2007.
    Comparing the formats at this late date simply isn't practical - or productive. I enjoy my HD-DVD players and collection of movies - as well as my blu-ray players and collection of movies. It's all good!
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs
  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Novato, CA
    Posts
    6,904
    Quote Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
    All my HD DVD players are excruciatingly slow at loading discs, and they are only 1080i, and don't have internal Hi Res audio decoders.

    Many (most) of my Blu-ray players are extremely fast at loading discs, are 1080p, and have internal Hi Res audio decoders. Picture quality is excellent, and I can skip trailers just like that!

    * At the end of the day I will have a Blu-ray movie starting to play much faster than a HD DVD one!
    And because my TV is a 1080p, and accepts 24fps/1080p, and that my Blu-ray players can give it to it, and that HD DVD cannot, I think it's quite obvious about the much higher superiority of Blu-ray.

    And not only that, but because HD DVD is dead for a long time, the players simply don't have what it takes nowadays to be competitive with all the other features on Blu-ray players. Plus much much more...

    Hey, I got over 400 HD DVD movies, and I got three HD DVD players, and I got six Blu-ray players, and I got over 2,000 Blu-ray movies.
    So make the calculation here.

    - You're a funny guy, you know that!
    You have over 2,000 Blu-ray movies? Holy crap dude!

    My Blu-ray players are the older type, purchased in 2008, so my experience mirrors that of the OP. It takes about the same amount of time to start loading the disc (close tray to the time it starts reading), but from there the java slows down everything to a crawl. Also the menus work much smoother on HD DVD.
  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Novato, CA
    Posts
    6,904
    Quote Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
    All my HD DVD players are excruciatingly slow at loading discs, and they are only 1080i, and don't have internal Hi Res audio decoders.

    Many (most) of my Blu-ray players are extremely fast at loading discs, are 1080p, and have internal Hi Res audio decoders. Picture quality is excellent, and I can skip trailers just like that!

    * At the end of the day I will have a Blu-ray movie starting to play much faster than a HD DVD one!
    And because my TV is a 1080p, and accepts 24fps/1080p, and that my Blu-ray players can give it to it, and that HD DVD cannot, I think it's quite obvious about the much higher superiority of Blu-ray.

    And not only that, but because HD DVD is dead for a long time, the players simply don't have what it takes nowadays to be competitive with all the other features on Blu-ray players. Plus much much more...
    You are misinformed. Many HD DVD players can output 1080p/24fps and all of them have TrueHD lossless decoders built in. And it only takes about 25 seconds to load an HD DVD on my XA2. Which player are you using, the XA1?
  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    17,293
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    You are misinformed. Many HD DVD players can output 1080p/24fps and all of them have TrueHD lossless decoders built in. And it only takes about 25 seconds to load an HD DVD on my XA2. Which player are you using, the XA1?
    Waiting for the "It does not internally decode DTS MA" argument. Yeah, I'm sure people with Pans Labrynth are really upset they can't listen to DTS MA, or a few of those concert discs. Though, as usual, it's worth noting no Blu-ray players could do that either when HD DVD was still around, so it's a pretty moot point.
  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Novato, CA
    Posts
    6,904
    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
    Waiting for the "It does not internally decode DTS MA" argument. Yeah, I'm sure people with Pans Labrynth are really upset they can't listen to DTS MA, or a few of those concert discs. Though, as usual, it's worth noting no Blu-ray players could do that either when HD DVD was still around, so it's a pretty moot point.
    The XA2/Onkyo/Integra (same player - different shell) and A35 can bitstream DTS MA, and MA decoders are a common feature on receivers these days, so those few HD DVDs with master audio (mostly imports) can still be easily enjoyed to their fullest.
  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Novato, CA
    Posts
    6,904
    Also another misconception is that 1080i players render 1080i on a 1080p display. That is false, as all modern 1080p HDTVs will properly deinterlace 1080i content and show it in 1080p.
  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Victoria, B.C. Canada (I'm French)
    Posts
    5,555
    I have the HD-A1, the HD-A2, and the BD-UP5000 (the 5000 can't do 24fps/1080p properly from several HD DVDs).

    All my HD DVDs are only DD+ or Dolby TrueHD (except for Pan's Labyrinth).

    I won't be buying any more HD DVD players, like the HD-XA2 or HD-A35.
    And I won't be buying any more HD DVD movies either.
    - But maybe I should! ...Yeah, a used XA2 or A35 for only $50 or so! We'll see... I got time, plenty of it, till 4K, and true 3D.

    * Actually I'm closer to 2,500+ Blus.
    Bob
    There & Gone
    Life, Love & the Blues
    <<< 3DDD!!! Way to go Baby! >>>
    => Click Me!
    I got 'Lawrence of Arabia', 'LOTR EE' Trilogy, & 'Avatar 3D' (without the Panny TV).
    => Audyssey Setup Guide
    "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
    => Audyssey FAQ
  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,112
    Still rockin' my hacked HD DVD player as well. I don't watch discs much anymore, mostly netflix, but did watch Star Trek TOS S1 and I am Legend just this last week.
    Blu-ray Player w/ Harmony Adapter
    Toshiba HD-A32.5
    + Win7 Home Premium HTPC
    Panasonic Plasma TC-P54G10
    Panasonic SA-BX500 Receiver
    SVS 5.1 inc. SVS PB12-NSD Sub
  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Victoria, B.C. Canada (I'm French)
    Posts
    5,555
    - Most Toshiba HD DVD player's highest resolution is 1080i.

    - Most Toshiba HD DVD players do not pass the new surround codecs in bitstream form.
    Instead, they convert Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus to high-rez PCM.

    - DTS-HD MA and DTS High Res Audio: just forget it!

    ___________________

    Yup, gimme another reason why HD DVD is better than Blu-ray!
    Bob
    There & Gone
    Life, Love & the Blues
    <<< 3DDD!!! Way to go Baby! >>>
    => Click Me!
    I got 'Lawrence of Arabia', 'LOTR EE' Trilogy, & 'Avatar 3D' (without the Panny TV).
    => Audyssey Setup Guide
    "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
    => Audyssey FAQ
  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Novato, CA
    Posts
    6,904
    Quote Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
    - Most Toshiba HD DVD player's highest resolution is 1080i.

    - Most Toshiba HD DVD players do not pass the new surround codecs in bitstream form.
    Instead, they convert Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus to high-rez PCM.

    - DTS-HD MA and DTS High Res Audio: just forget it!

    ___________________

    Yup, gimme another reason why HD DVD is better than Blu-ray!
    I see my last few posts went straight over your head.
  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
    - Most Toshiba HD DVD player's highest resolution is 1080i.

    - Most Toshiba HD DVD players do not pass the new surround codecs in bitstream form.
    Instead, they convert Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus to high-rez PCM.

    - DTS-HD MA and DTS High Res Audio: just forget it!

    ___________________

    Yup, gimme another reason why HD DVD is better than Blu-ray!
    Is there anyone how might explain it in French to our Canadien? Don't worry man, my English isn't also the best.....
  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Victoria, B.C. Canada (I'm French)
    Posts
    5,555
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    I see my last few posts went straight over your head.
    Don't worry Bruce, I perfectly read your posts. ...I even read between the lines...

    I told you which HD DVD players I got, and you told me yours (or did you?).

    You are happy with yours, and you found an advantage because of the trailers and advertising (that was the OP).
    And yours can do 24fps/1080p, and yours can pass Dolby TrueHD from its HDMI out as Bitstream.

    But the HD-XA2 and the HD-A35 (and the Onkyo copycat), are not the only HD DVD players out there.

    For YOU (and few others), it works. But for the vast majority, HD DVD is inferior to Blu-ray in several aspects of Picture, Sound, Features, Loading Time, and a whole lot more not even including the only 500 or so titles available (in American territory, soil).

    You say what you have to say, and I say what I want to say as well. That's why it's called a forum, a discussion, an exchange of ideas and informations....

    I totally respect you as well.

    P.S. My last post above was simply a fact. And that included the word "most", and not "all".
    Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 11-22-2011 at 03:27 AM. Reason: postcript
    Bob
    There & Gone
    Life, Love & the Blues
    <<< 3DDD!!! Way to go Baby! >>>
    => Click Me!
    I got 'Lawrence of Arabia', 'LOTR EE' Trilogy, & 'Avatar 3D' (without the Panny TV).
    => Audyssey Setup Guide
    "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
    => Audyssey FAQ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts