Default Blu-ray Scratch coating,Does it work?

One of blu-ray's selling points is the scratch resitance coating.Does it work? Did they not have a problem with dry rott when they first were released? I have heard that there were some disc that would have little black spots on the disc. Does anyone know how long this coating is sopose to last. Will it come off in time? I do not think they can be buffed out like a HD-DVD? Is this coating a must have. It think it is a good idea,but Will it it hold up. Are HD-DVD'S better for not having this coating. What do you guys think.I would love to see a blu-ray in about 10 years. I bet there will be dry rott.
    I think this would be better in smack down.

yes, a very small amount of discs had black rot, none since the first little run that i know of though.

yes, the protective coating is better... you can scratch the hell out of a blu-ray and it will still fire up and play.

No, hd-dvd's were not better, one little scratch, or a light amount of residue from the processing plant would cause them to not play.

I have over 250 hd's, but come on, blu-ray's actual physical disc is far superior to that of HD-DVD because of the scratch resistant coating.
    Toshiba Talen 57" 1080p DLP
    Sony BDP-S470/Toshiba HD-XA2/ HD-XA1/OPPO DV-980H/ Onkyo 805/JBL S-412's, S-38's and S-center.

my $.02 . .
    I have a large collection of both formats. I believe you will find the reason for the "protective coating" on blu-ray titles has to do with the increased data density and proximity of the data layer closer to the surface making it more subject to damage. Although the advertisers like to hype the protective layer as some superior feature for the customer, I expect it was necessary just to make the media reliable given its data structure and location closer to the surface of the media.
    That being said - I have had almost no problems with my blu-ray titles - and the defective titles that I had to return for replacement had more to do with mastering errors than anything else (ie. not problems with the media).
    My HD-DVD collection has also performed very well, although I have had a handful of titles that had to be replaced - so I think I would say the blu-rays have been more reliable in my case (although both have performed very well and neither have been subject to a significant number of problems).
    To keep all this in perspective, however, I am rather fanatical about keeping all my titles in absolutely pristine condition - I am not a good case study for the performance of discs that are scratched because scratches are not allowed in my collection.
    Hopefully the manufacturers have learned their "laser rot" manufacturing lessons with the old laser disc format and these HD formats will be at least as reliable as DVDs have been.
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs
    The scratch coating works. Very well. But its also NECESSARY, so it better damn well work.
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
    Sometimes I don't speak right. But still I know what I'm talking about...
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies
    Well, DVDs were not that reliable at the beginning, in particular many titles from Universal Studios will not play after a certain time.
    I know, I have to get rid of a dozen titles because of that (they were purchased in 1997-1998). Laser rot or bad glue between the two layers, whatever, at $35 a pop (including tax), that was a big financial loss for me then.

And from my vast collection of HD DVD & Blu-rays, BD is a more reliable format from my personal experience. Also BD is much harder to sratch than HD DVD. And an HD DVD that is scratch in a circular movement is probably unplayable, or it will skip at the ditto place. Blu-ray is a better design and more durable.
    Bob
    There & Gone
    Life, Love & the Blues
    <<< 3DDD!!! Way to go Baby! >>>
    => Click Me!
    I got 'Lawrence of Arabia', 'LOTR EE' Trilogy, & 'Avatar 3D' (without the Panny TV).
    => Audyssey Setup Guide
    "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
    => Audyssey FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post
    Well, DVDs were not that reliable at the beginning, in particular many titles from Universal Studios will not play after a certain time.
    I know, I have to get rid of a dozen titles because of that (they were purchased in 1997-1998). Laser rot or bad glue between the two layers, whatever, at $35 a pop (including tax), that was a big financial loss for me then.

And from my vast collection of HD DVD & Blu-rays, BD is a more reliable format from my personal experience. Also BD is much harder to sratch than HD DVD. And an HD DVD that is scratch in a circular movement is probably unplayable, or it will skip at the ditto place. Blu-ray is a better design and more durable.
    I think you will find that any optical media that is scratched in a circular pattern which follows the data track is much more subject to failure than a scratch which runs across the data tracks. That has always been the case for optical media beginning with CDs.
    ^ Yep, that's exactly what I just said.
    In addition, the label side of the disc is also more vulnerable on a CD, where the pits are closer to.
    Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 01-18-2010 at 03:29 AM. Reason: typo
    Bob
    There & Gone
    Life, Love & the Blues
    => Click Me!
    I got 'Lawrence of Arabia', 'LOTR EE' Trilogy, & 'Avatar 3D' (without the Panny TV).
    => Audyssey Setup Guide
    => Audyssey FAQ
    Your post made it sound like the issue was unique to HD-DVD . . which is why I mentioned it is characteristic of all optical media . . CD, laser disc, dvd, hd-dvd, and blu-ray . . .
    The solution is simple - don't manhandle or leave optical media titles laying around and they will provide entertainment for many years.
    ^ Sorry to not have been more specific.

* Everything is cool about taking care of your own optical discs (any kind), but tell people that at the video stores, where you rent them.
    Bob
    There & Gone
    Life, Love & the Blues
    => Click Me!
    => Audyssey Setup Guide
    => Audyssey FAQ
    Well, my two year old know how to defeat Blu-rays scratch coating quickly and easily. I don't know how he does it, but he does. He got his hands on Disc 3 of my Prisoner box set. He had it for less than 30 seconds, and he scratched it up so bad that it will not play. I saw him sticking it under the rug in the living room and stopped him. I don't know what he did in the 30 seconds prior to that (the disc was in the case, so I know he removed it).

I know people did all these tests with steel wool, etc., but it appears that a 2 year old can be even rougher than that.

As for dry rot, DVD has been using the exact same coating for years, and no problems yet. I think the alleged "rot" was probably something else (maybe adhesive failure or something) and just a one time problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by KYThrill View Post
    Well, my two year old know how to defeat Blu-rays scratch coating quickly and easily. I don't know how he does it, but he does. He got his hands on Disc 3 of my Prisoner box set. He had it for less than 30 seconds, and he scratched it up so bad that it will not play. I saw him sticking it under the rug in the living room and stopped him. I don't know what he did in the 30 seconds prior to that (the disc was in the case, so I know he removed it).

I know people did all these tests with steel wool, etc., but it appears that a 2 year old can be even rougher than that.

As for dry rot, DVD has been using the exact same coating for years, and no problems yet. I think the alleged "rot" was probably something else (maybe adhesive failure or something) and just a one time problem.
    Yes - laser rot is generally a function of the adhesive which holds the layers together failing and letting air in which corrodes the recorded layer making it difficult (or impossible) for the player's laser to read it. It was very prevalent on the old laser discs, supposedly due to the size of the discs and a couple of manufacturing plants that had poor quality control. I do not believe it has ever been a significant problem with prerecorded CDs or DVDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by KYThrill View Post

Wow! Perhaps you should chain your two-year old.
    Bob
    There & Gone
    Life, Love & the Blues
    => Click Me!
    => Audyssey Setup Guide
    => Audyssey FAQ