Go Back   High-Def Digest Forums > HD DVD Archive > HD DVD Hardware General Discussion
Reload this Page What software currently is able to play HD Dvds and blu rays on pc smoothly?

Default What software currently is able to play HD Dvds and blu rays on pc smoothly?

Just got a blu ray/hd dvd combo drive. Planning to go purple now. Hope I'm not too late. Any softwares to recommend to play the discs smoothly? Thanks.
    PowerDVD 7 (but not 8, they have removed HDDVD playback although there are ways to "hack" it back in-- although I am not 100% sure they still work) works well, although some quick testing of WinDVD 9 seemed like it worked a bit smoother all around.

The key is really to make sure you have plenty of CPU and video card horsepower behind it... especially video card. I've played back HD content on a nearly 5 year old Pentium 4 3.2ghz using an ATI Radeon 3850 video card. It pegs the processor at 100% for some reason but playback is totally smooth.
    I use Arcsoft's and my PC's drive is a dual drive by LG. Works very well.
    AnyDVD HD will allow you to rip to your hard drive, then you can use eac3to and some utilties to convert the main feature to MKV with FLAC audio and play it with MPC HC (Media Player Classic Home Cinema). All available for download, though AnyDVD HD has to be registered and paid for after 21 days.
    I've been using WinDVD 9. It has worked very well for both HD DVD and Blu ray.

Peace, love, kisses.
    I have WinDVD Plus 9 and PowerDVD 7.3 and Nero 8 Showtime. All of them have had some trouble with some specific discs but then the others usually work. I don't tend to watch whole movies on my PC though, I just use it for a bit of quality sampling, various format conversions and screencaps etc.
    PowerDVD 8 has played every disc I've thrown at it. It even works with BD-Live stuff. I did a BD-Live Chat in Wall-E from my computer.
    I went with PowerDvd 7.36 if I'm not wrong. So far I'm happy with its Region B blu ray playback and a sole HD Dvd that I own. I even tried ripping blu rays and hd dvd ISO to test if PDvd could load it. Blu ray images work fine but I cant seem to load the hd dvd iso. I've tried ripping to ISO and also ripping to hard disk. All I got were .EVO and .BUP files that PowerDvd doesnt recognise. Any tips on how to overcome this for hd dvd iso?

Kinda interested in going the MKV/Flac route but will it take a long time to encode the video to mkv without losing quality?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinofsins View Post
    I went with PowerDvd 7.36 if I'm not wrong. So far I'm happy with its Region B blu ray playback and a sole HD Dvd that I own. I even tried ripping blu rays and hd dvd ISO to test if PDvd could load it. Blu ray images work fine but I cant seem to load the hd dvd iso. I've tried ripping to ISO and also ripping to hard disk. All I got were .EVO and .BUP files that PowerDvd doesnt recognise. Any tips on how to overcome this for hd dvd iso?
    I haven't had any problem turning HD DVDs into .iso images with AnyDVD HD for playback from hard disk. I map them to a virtual drive with VirtualCloneDrive and play with PowerDVD 7.3 from that virtual drive. If you got .EVO and .BUP files it seems you didn't choose the right option to get an .iso file?
    Quote Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
    I haven't had any problem turning HD DVDs into .iso images with AnyDVD HD for playback from hard disk. I map them to a virtual drive with VirtualCloneDrive and play with PowerDVD 7.3 from that virtual drive. If you got .EVO and .BUP files it seems you didn't choose the right option to get an .iso file?
    Actually I ripped it to iso and mount it at Virtual CloneDrive and PowerDvd 7.3 automatically loads up. I saw File Mode pop up and thats it the loading stops there. I press the play button and nothing happens. EVO and BUP files were those found in the disc when i tried exploring it. What do you reckon is the problem here.. the disc or my computer or the player?
    Maybe this has already been posted, but Arcsoft finally released a new version of TotalMedia that works on Vista.
    However it appears HD-DVD support has been removed, also it will not do Blu-Ray screen captures which is stated in the help file.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenman342 View Post
    Maybe this has already been posted, but Arcsoft finally released a new version of TotalMedia that works on Vista.
    However it appears HD-DVD support has been removed, also it will not do Blu-Ray screen captures which is stated in the help file.
    I finally got around to trying my Xbox drive with my Vista notebook and I found HD-DVD can still be played by TotalMedia even though it is not mentioned in the help file.
    PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 or WinDVD9 have worked just fine for me.
    Blu-ray Player w/ Harmony Adapter
    Toshiba HD-A32.5
    + Win7 Home Premium HTPC
    Panasonic Plasma TC-P54G10
    Panasonic SA-BX500 Receiver
    SVS 5.1 inc. SVS PB12-NSD Sub
    Arcssoft total media theater, it also intergrates itself into Vista's media center quite well also.