Go Back   High-Def Digest Forums > HD DVD Archive > HD DVD Bargains
Reload this Page Online vendors who give you store credit when you sign up

Default Online vendors who give you store credit when you sign up

So it occured to me that I've gotten several HD-DVD's for either $2 or free (including the Crank German import) due to store credits when I sign up. Does anyone know of some online retailers or payment companies that give you money when you sign up?

If you search around for someone who bought something from www.buy.com, they usually have a coupon they can give you for $5 off your first buy.com purchase of $10 or more.

Google Checkout gives you $10 towards any $10 or more purchase at www.Buy.com (do this one after you do the $5 off coupon, as you dont have to be a first time buyer at buy.com to use it)

www.revolutionmoneyexchange.com, similar to Paypal, gives you $25 towards any purchase anywhere.

I figured it would be a good idea to form somewhat of a list here. HD-DVD's are a dangerous habit, they can tear a bank account asunder in mere days. If we let one another know of these web sites that offer you store credit, or any otherwise credit, it will help everyone out.
    Just went Purple

Still shedding a tear for , but life must go on.

My Collection

Panasonic TH-42PZ80U
    Toshiba -A30
    50+ 's

80gb PS3
    I looked at revolutionmoneyexchange, and it seems a little sketchy. I don't see how that can be used for online vendors like amazon, deepdiscount, etc. Could you explain a bit about it, and how you have used it please?
    How does it look sketchy? It's simply offering what PayPal does.

HD DVD: Toshiba HD-A1, XA2
    HD DVDs: 163, DVDs: 50

))) (((
    Unlike Ebay, which was the 1st main avenue for PayPal, this doesn't seem to have a specific use with online vendors, as I'd mentioned.
    http://www.buy.com/corp/revolution_offer.asp

Companies need to establish themselves. You're not gonna start and online payment company that competes with PayPal and automatically have your payment system offered everywhere.

I've been waiting for somebody to step up to the plate like Revolution has. I cancelled by 6 year old PayPal account and corresponding cards on Monday.

HD DVD: Toshiba HD-A1, XA2
    HD DVDs: 163, DVDs: 50

))) (((
    Cool, that's all I needed to know.

I signed up, and it looks like a great deal.
    i know i can't be the only one that's run into a problem with revolution money exchange, but when i was going through the sign up process, they said they couldn't verify some of the information and that their verification department would be contacting me. i called them and waited for over 20 minutes to speak to someone who could not transfer me to the verification department... all you can do is wait for them to contact you from 48-72 hours to request more information. they might want a blood sample or just something that verifies my address or something.

also, you shouldn't try to keep entering information if you get this message because it will lock up the account.

on one hand the security aspect is nice but just like paypal where they've put holds on my card a number of times, it's somewhat of a pain in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodywhore View Post
    i know i can't be the only one that's run into a problem with revolution money exchange, but when i was going through the sign up process, they said they couldn't verify some of the information and that their verification department would be contacting me. i called them and waited for over 20 minutes to speak to someone who could not transfer me to the verification department... all you can do is wait for them to contact you from 48-72 hours to request more information. they might want a blood sample or just something that verifies my address or something.

also, you shouldn't try to keep entering information if you get this message because it will lock up the account.

on one hand the security aspect is nice but just like paypal where they've put holds on my card a number of times, it's somewhat of a pain in the ass.
    3+ weeks later and I'm still waiting for the info request they need to complete the verification process. Oh yeah, you need to accept the money gift from them within 15 days. For a new company that wants to establish themselves, they need to step up their customer service first and foremost.
    Collection (updated July 15, 2008)
    I got $25 + $10 for referral of someone quick and easy with Revolution Money exchange. The money was in my bank account within two weeks. Removed bank account from this one as I do with paypal (only adding it in when I need to use it).

-comix
    Quote Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
    3+ weeks later and I'm still waiting for the info request they need to complete the verification process. Oh yeah, you need to accept the money gift from them within 15 days. For a new company that wants to establish themselves, they need to step up their customer service first and foremost.
    i made sure i told the person at revolution that i don't remember setting up an account with paypal being this difficult. she then mentioned something about tight security.

tight security is a nude 21 year old man in a nunnery.
    Quote Originally Posted by comixguru View Post
    I got $25 + $10 for referral of someone quick and easy with Revolution Money exchange. The money was in my bank account within two weeks. Removed bank account from this one as I do with paypal (only adding it in when I need to use it).

-comix
    Removed? Once they have your info, they have it forever. I'd be VERY sure they never delete the information from their system, just remove it's visibility from your account.
    Purple is Freedom!
    Living Room: 50" Hitachi 1080P Plasma w/PS3 80G, HD-A3 & 2xDirecTV HR20
    Downstairs: 42" Panasonic 720P Plasma w/ XBox 360 & HD DVD Player, Wii & DirecTV HR20

Talking Buy.com and PayPal

If you make your first purchase from Buy.com using google checkout of an item that is 10 dollars or more (pretty much 99% of the HD-DVDs there) you get 10 dollars off.

All Google checkout is adding a credit card to an already exist gmail account.

So if you have a PayPal account and go to your plugins you can make a one time use credit card number that you can add to any Gmail Account that you want.

So...if you use this method over and over again you can get a ton of HD-DVDs for 5 dollars or less shipped.

This is kinda shady but worth a try.

let me break it down.

1. Make a new Gmail account

2. Make a virtual credit card number using PayPal.

3. Go to Buy.com and add ONE HD-DVD that costs 10 Dollars or more to your basket. (if you add another HD-DVD then it will be like you are buying 2 HD-DVDs for the price of one...so cheaper to do it separate usually)

4. Make your purchase using the google checkout option.

5. use your virtual credit card number.

6. if everything was done right you will get the 10 dollars off.

7. place order

8. If you want go back to step 1.

Default revolution money exchange

Quote Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
    they didn't send me an info request, today they sent me an email saying my account had been activated and that i could complete the sign up process with entering my bank info and bank verification.

and the person that referred me hasn't received credit for my sign up. he called and tried to look into this and they said that they can't give out any information about someone elses account... so i called asking if they could verify that my friend referred me and they said they could not--that HE has to call in and they'll escalate it for investigation.

so i went round and round with the customer service person about what a headache it's been signing up and she had nothing to offer but lip. amidst interrupting me, talking over me and ignoring what i was saying, she told me that if i had a complaint i could submit it via the website. and i thought she was a representative of the company who could help me. apparantly not.

i don't even know why i bother. the only real reason i signed up was to get the free $25 and to get a free movie.

but we have to wait longer now. fun stuff.
    the referral will expired...if the people don't use it right away....I'm pretty sure of this now. So if you referred someone, it is best that they do it immediately. Otherwise, you will not get that referral.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodywhore View Post
    they didn't send me an info request, today they sent me an email saying my account had been activated and that i could complete the sign up process with entering my bank info and bank verification.

and the person that referred me hasn't received credit for my sign up. he called and tried to look into this and they said that they can't give out any information about someone elses account... so i called asking if they could verify that my friend referred me and they said they could not--that HE has to call in and they'll escalate it for investigation.

so i went round and round with the customer service person about what a headache it's been signing up and she had nothing to offer but lip. amidst interrupting me, talking over me and ignoring what i was saying, she told me that if i had a complaint i could submit it via the website. and i thought she was a representative of the company who could help me. apparantly not.

i don't even know why i bother. the only real reason i signed up was to get the free $25 and to get a free movie.

but we have to wait longer now. fun stuff.
    Wondering why you would bother knowing that the customer service sucks. It's funny when people are treated badly just to save a buck or two. Great customer service oversees prices in my book anyday. I wouldn't deal with a company who had shitty employees for a free movie. Doesn't that leave a bad taste in your mouth?
    Sharp Aquos 46" LC-46D64U
    PS3-40GB PSN: Cherish_Lily
    I'm addicted to ROCK BAND!!!
    HD Player -A30

Movies: 75
    Movies: 38

Recent additions: AVP 2 Pack, ID4, I Robot, National Treasure 1 & 2, Rambo 1-3, Cloverfield, Prison Break 1, War, The Last Samurai, Before The Devil Knows Your Dead
    Lucky Number Slevin

On Order: Weeds Season 3