Default Fox Joins the Bandwagon- Blocks Google TV

Online television offerings are starting to look slim for the hotly anticipated device.

http://www.gtvhub.com/2010/11/10/fox...le-tv-devices/
    I'm not sure I understand the rationale. Why would the networks choose to block access from a Google TV device when the same content is accessible through PCs and otherwise over the Internet? Perhaps I just don't understand exactly what GTV does.
    Equipment:
    50" Samsung DLP 1080p HDTV
    Onkyo TX-SR605 HDMI 1.3a 7.1 receiver
    Sony Playstation 3 (60GB) via HDMI
    Toshiba HD-A35 via HDMI
    The only thing I can think of is that it's some sort of insidious plot to encourage piracy, though I'm not sure what would be in it for the networks.
    In any event I don't like it. Seems like they're trying to dictate the manner in which content is delivered to the consumer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't GTV simply "search" (in classic Google fashion) your cable/dish box or receiver, the Internet, and any other attached media to find whatever it is you're looking for? In other words, it doesn't actually replace dish or cable as a provider in and of itself. Therefore, the studios are still getting their royalties from cable/satellite providers for their content. GTV is simply supposed to make it easier to use and more accessible, right? So what's the problem?
    Equipment:
    50" Samsung DLP 1080p HDTV
    Onkyo TX-SR605 HDMI 1.3a 7.1 receiver
    Sony Playstation 3 (60GB) via HDMI
    Toshiba HD-A35 via HDMI
    The studios are run by old media who are afraid of and/or don't understand new technologies.
    Of course there will be workarounds, and people will grab/pirate the content on-demand anyway!
    But they will not change (even for the better) without a fight ... or a ton of cash.
    Its all about the money and these companies want and need you to pay for overpriced cable TV services where you dont watch 90% of the channels you HAVE to pay for, these boxes offer a direct alternative to that which is why they are blocking them and not full blown PCs as how many average joe people are going to hook up a HTPC to their TVs? Most people who do that have the extra cash or are total techies, $150 stand alone boxes that do everything you need are easily marketable to your average person....It pisses me off thats for sure, that all these companies are blocking set top boxes, Google TV and now I cant even play some youtube videos on my Android phone anymore as they are also blocked from view.....WHY? Thats what I want to know, who cares if I watch your video on my PC or from my phone which also has internet access? This shit needs to change
    I trust Google about ten times LESS than Microsoft.

I have no desire for Google to know everything I watch...although they pretty much keep records of everything else people do....and virtually forever.
    Fox (and the other networks) make money from advertising. The more eyeballs on their content, the more money they make from the advertisers. By blocking GoogleTV or any other method of distribution that includes the advertising, they are blocking legitimate consumers.

I can only thing of two logical reasons for blocking GoogleTV. (1) GoogleTV does not provide viewership numbers back to the networks so that they can then charge advertisers more. Therefore, the networks would prefer your eyeballs viewing the same content through methods that do report back to them. (2) They like to be in the driver's seat and heavily involved in all manners of distribution. GoogleTV is outside their control and they are probably not comfortable with it yet.

Similar shenanigans occurred back in the day with Hulu, where you could watch it on your computer through a browser, but not through a desktop application, even though the desktop application displayed all of the commercials.