Smile Help with HD production

Hello! As low (wo)man on the totem pole, it has become my responsibility to aid my bosses in our small production company's move to HD. We have purchased an HD camera (Panasonic P2 HD) and a portable memory card recorder/player. As I know very little about HD I was hoping for a bit of help.

The plan so far is to build a server and install a P2 card reader on that computer, making it accessible to the editors. Questions that come from this are:

-Is this the most efficient way of loading footage from the P2 cards onto the computers?
    -In what format does the footage load? Quicktime? AVI? None of the above?

Another question I have is using the portable editor, does anyone know how to export a timeline either back onto the P2 card or a portable hard drive? We've figured out how to save the timeline, but that's as far as the manual took us. We need to know how, once a story is edited, we are able to get that story onto the computer to be assembled into the show.

Any help anyone could give me would really be appreciated. Thank you!!
    Please can you post the model of your camera?

A camera model example:
    The AG-HVX200 is the world's first*1 compact camera to offer 1080/24p recording*2. It can record onto a P2 card in 1080/60i or 720/60p HD, and it's compatible with the SD (480i) format currently used in TV broadcasting. The multi-codec system lets you record in DVCPRO 50, DVCPRO and DV.*3

What mode are you recording in?

1080?
    720?

The file format is MXF.

DVCPRO HD is the codec.

Are you green screening?

If so then watch out as Keylight really wasn't good for DVCPRO HD footage but evey tool has an up and a down side no matter if its free or twenty thousand dollars so experiment a bit.

Keying tools(some of them)
    zMatte from Digital Film Tools and vKey from Oak Street Software

Ckeck out the Cook Book that comes with Shake for some handy keying tips and a few extra macros as well(but shake is a major, major PITA to use)

I use a laptop and I just plug in a P2 card (better have the card drivers installed...first!)
    Or any recently purchased home computer with quad cores if you want to export film sections to separate laptops for post- processing.

Editors: what ever you can use that fits your budget?
    Final cut Pro, Adobe, plugin called DVMatte Pro by DV Garage for After Effects. But it is available for FCP as well,

Some information:

P2, which stands for Professional Plug-in, is a compact solid-state memory card designed for professional AV use. Basically, four SD Memory Cards are packaged together to create a single P2 card. When striped as a RAID 0 array, this gives the P2 four times the transfer speed and four times the capacity of a single SD Memory Card. A slim, large-capacity 8-GB*1 P2 card (AJ-P2C008HG) can hold 32 minutes of DVCPRO/DV codec recording yet weighs only about 45 grams. Compliant with PC Card standards (Type II), the P2 card plugs directly into the card slot of a laptop PC.*2 AV data on the card mounts instantly, with each cut as an MXF file. The data can be used immediately no digitizing necessary for nonlinear editing, or it can be transferred over a network. The P2 far surpasses all other AV media in transfer speed, too.
    The P2 cards transfer data at up to 640 Mbps*3, which can greatly speed up production processes.
    *1: Total card capacity includes space for data management such as system data; therefore, actual usable area is less than the capacity indicated on the card.
    *2: The P2 card driver (standard equipped) must be installed. The P2 card driver operates under Windows XP and Windows 2000.

Hope this helps?
    Have to go and re-write a scene for a film I am doing so feel free to post any more questions as there are plenty of forum members that know far more about HD content production than I do.

Later.
    Last edited by Reverend Blu; 06-19-2008 at 04:00 AM.

Default hi

Quote Originally Posted by softshoot View Post
    Hello! As low (wo)man on the totem pole, it has become my responsibility to aid my bosses in our small production company's move to HD. We have purchased an HD camera (Panasonic P2 HD) and a portable memory card recorder/player. As I know very little about HD I was hoping for a bit of help.

The plan so far is to build a server and install a P2 card reader on that computer, making it accessible to the editors. Questions that come from this are:

-Is this the most efficient way of loading footage from the P2 cards onto the computers?
    -In what format does the footage load? Quicktime? AVI? None of the above?

Another question I have is using the portable editor, does anyone know how to export a timeline either back onto the P2 card or a portable hard drive? We've figured out how to save the timeline, but that's as far as the manual took us. We need to know how, once a story is edited, we are able to get that story onto the computer to be assembled into the show.

Any help anyone could give me would really be appreciated. Thank you!!

Yeah, i think so.you can do it. but i am too sorry i cant help with you.
    If you are using FCS2, you can use Compressor to Export into AppleTV quicktime 720 HD.m4v format. From there you can dump it onto any portable harddrive.

My apologies if I mis-understood what you are asking.

Michael
    www.stillmotion.ca